• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Glove Recommendations?

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just curious but is down work well in gloves for resort skiing?
IMO, down works great in mittens, not gloves, for resort skiing in cold places like New England. I wear a size bigger than I need as I find the air is insulating and I can drop in a hand warmer on the coldest days. That being said, last week I bought the Flylow superMit to give primaloft a shot. Not sure if the deerskin color instead of black goes with my Flylow pink bibs, but on sale can’t be picky.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMO, down works great in mittens, not gloves, for resort skiing in cold places like New England. I wear a size bigger than I need as I find the air is insulating and I can drop in a hand warmer on the coldest days. That being said, last week I bought the Flylow superMit to give primaloft a shot. Not sure if the deerskin color instead of black goes with my Flylow pink bibs, but on sale can’t be picky.
The advantage of Primaloft over down is that it stays warm even when it gets wet. Down has no insulation factor when it gets wet.
I think Deerskin will look great with pink.
I had some mixture of pinks and rusts and browns two seasons ago. I got a ton of compliments on those kits.

Back to mittens:
I have been wearing the LEKI Glace Mittens for cold days and have not needed a chemical warmer at all.

James

Out There
Instructor
Not sure if the deerskin color instead of black goes with my Flylow pink bibs, but on sale can’t be picky.
Nice, much better than black, which is just another whole in the snow. Maybe you can put some bling on it.
I had to get the black Gordini’s because that’s all they had.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Hestra Njord. Best glove I've ever owned.

James

Out There
Instructor
Hestra Njord. Best glove I've ever owned.
Interesting. The Fält Guide is kind of similar, a goat palm and all leather back. That seems to be very popular their athletes, including Cody Townsend.

So you’re using that like 20deg F + ?
Do you go your meaured size or larger?
I measure a 9 but usually get a 10. I just got an 11 Fall Line on deep sale. Fingers are just long.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Norjd glove is more generously sized, so it's warmer. Most of the other size 11 Hestra gloves are too small for me, so they're cold. I use a removeable Hestra marino wool liner, so I've use them from -5f with the liner, through summer skiing this past week without. I wear them every day unless it's raining, then the $14 Showa rubber crabbing gloves come out.They're tough as nails.. I'll replace the liners next fall, but the leather outer is fine. They're truly bullet proof work gloves. FWIW, I'm on the hill full time.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have about 5 pairs of FlyLow Ridge gloves that I bought when on sale. I use them for work and play and they are very durable. I treat them with Sno-seal and bake them in the oven about once a month to seal them. I do have a pair of Marmot Gore-Tex mittens for very cold days.

James

Out There
Instructor
Surprised nobody has mentioned Reusch. I know about half of you ol' geezers have Reusch glove buried in your closet with your 80s day suit.

Reusch gloves will go to hell and back many times before giving up the ghost. There's a reason they build the most World Cup gloves.
Good point. I think Reusch has gotten pigeon holed here as just race gloves. And then even there LEKI maybe has taken a lot of that as they make poles, so shops just get the gloves too? Plus the LEKI bondage system ties those together.

Or maybe that’s just what I thought. Still, you usually see say Hestra and not Reusch for high end non race gloves.

It looks like on European sites they list half sizes for a lot of Reusch gloves. Never seen that here. They do seem to make some very nice well made gloves. They currently seem to be in a very subdued, steakhouse and car interior, styling phase.

203149AE-CDBC-457F-BD50-7A6B6BFC9434.jpeg

Far cry from these in styling. Sign of the times- those are “Snowboard” gloves?

James

Out There
Instructor
Not sure if the deerskin color instead of black goes with my Flylow pink bibs, but on sale can’t be picky.
They’ll be great. Bonus- With those pink bibs you won’t be able to hide your shopping for bargain basement turns. ogsmile

psa for the women, came across these Reusch Mikaela signature gloves. 50% off.

A297BC61-790A-48EA-B82A-2910B9B4B7AB.jpeg

7.5, 8, 8.5 available, $70
https://winter.reuschusa.com/products/45-31-100-reusch-mikaela-meida®-dry?variant=20371294027840

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They’ll be great. Bonus- With those pink bibs you won’t be able to hide your shopping for bargain basement turns. ogsmile

psa for the women, came across these Reusch Mikaela signature gloves. 50% off.

View attachment 173274

7.5, 8, 8.5 available, $70
https://winter.reuschusa.com/products/45-31-100-reusch-mikaela-meida®-dry?variant=20371294027840
Yeh…I shop for turns. Trying to break the habit, but caution is pretty ingrained in my constitution. If it’s a low angle bump run that I “know,” I will let loose a little.
Never found gloves of any type warm enough, so I will continue to ship for mitts, as well as turns!!!

Chuck danache

On the road
Skier
Yeh…I shop for turns. Trying to break the habit, but caution is pretty ingrained in my constitution. If it’s a low angle bump run that I “know,” I will let loose a little.
Never found gloves of any type warm enough, so I will continue to ship for mitts, as well as turns!!!
Outdoor Research Alti Mitts, warmest I’ve found.

James

Out There
Instructor
So here in April at Killington were you using mitts on the warm day?
BA77745E-CF93-464B-A134-F5A6BBBF78D9.jpeg

An Alti mitt there ^ would be too warm, though you can take the inner liner out and the outer is still insulated. Bottom was too warm for gloves at all.

You like gauntlet or cuff?

Some of the Level Bliss mitts have a cashmere lining.

Warmest, Polar expedition-
OR Alti Mitts, Black Diamond Absolute Mitts

Some very warm-
Black Diamond Mercury( latest have undivided fingers) removable liner.

Reusch Volcano

Hestra Army extreme
That primaloft liner can go in the gauntlet style mitts, even Army Patrol gauntlet I think. Advantage to being able to change liners.

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Kincos - no-one talks to you like you're some gaper tourist if you're wearing them*

* Exception if accompanied by Carhartt bibs and a Starter jacket

James

Out There
Instructor
Latest bargain, OR Carbide Sensor mitts.
L, XL still available but going fast.
7B140E03-482C-43D4-B31D-39F5EF9E4EE6.jpeg

$39. Black is $59. Use code “ primetime “ in next two days.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Kincos - no-one talks to you like you're some gaper tourist if you're wearing them*

* Exception if accompanied by Carhartt bibs and a Starter jacket
Bingo. I like Kincos - once they break in - smaller zipper pulls are easy to manipulate, even those in awkward spots like pit zips, etc... A good way to break them in skiing is riding a rope tow or just raking leaves in the fall before ski season.

You pretty much have to snoseal or use other wax on kincos at least a few times to seal up the stitching. For all leather models like a 901, You can get away with resealing them as infrequently as every 40 ski days. But they tend to absorb water a bit once the wax starts wearing off. With more frequent waxing, every 10ish ski days, water will bead off them reliably. But this does reduce breathability. The less often they are waxed, the more breathable, so how often to wax is a decision that you can dial in based on your comfort levels and local weather. What I usually do is wax them at the start of a season, and then top them off when a big storm is coming. I have worn out one pair of 901s in 4 seasons. So durability is there.

Insulation is medium. I have found that as long as I keep my arms warm, my hands never get cold in these gloves. If it is 5f, greybird, and/or windy, I will usually switch to a more well insulated mitten though. The 901s, are ok for resort skiing up to about 45f without getting too sweaty. So the insulation works over a wide range of temps. Above 40f and bluebird, I usually just go with something like this https://www.marmot.com/sale/men/accessories/unisex-basic-work-gloves/AFS_785562619395.html.

Gore-Tex lined gloves don't breathe well. And the membranes seem to break down after a season or so with small holes that let water in. The Kincos are inherently more breathable than a membrane and can be resealed again and again and maintain that water resistance as long as the leather shell holds together. Also you can wax them less (ammount or frequency) and achieve a level of breathability while maintaining enough weather resistance for 1" an hour snow. Compared to a typical goretex ski glove, the all leather kincos are both more durably water resistant and more breathable. This leads to greater comfort over the life of the glove And they achieve this at a $35 pricepoint.

These guys seem to have the right idea.

https://www.freethepowder.com/pages/breathable-ski-gloves

James

Out There
Instructor
Bingo. I like Kincos - once they break in - smaller zipper pulls are easy to manipulate, even those in awkward spots like pit zips, etc... A good way to break them in skiing is riding a rope tow or just raking leaves in the fall before ski season.

You pretty much have to snoseal or use other wax on kincos at least a few times to seal up the stitching. For all leather models like a 901, You can get away with resealing them as infrequently as every 40 ski days. But they tend to absorb water a bit once the wax starts wearing off. With more frequent waxing, every 10ish ski days, water will bead off them reliably. But this does reduce breathability. The less often they are waxed, the more breathable, so how often to wax is a decision that you can dial in based on your comfort levels and local weather. What I usually do is wax them at the start of a season, and then top them off when a big storm is coming. I have worn out one pair of 901s in 4 seasons. So durability is there.

Insulation is medium. I have found that as long as I keep my arms warm, my hands never get cold in these gloves. If it is 5f, greybird, and/or windy, I will usually switch to a more well insulated mitten though. The 901s, are ok for resort skiing up to about 45f without getting too sweaty. So the insulation works over a wide range of temps. Above 40f and bluebird, I usually just go with something like this https://www.marmot.com/sale/men/accessories/unisex-basic-work-gloves/AFS_785562619395.html.

Gore-Tex lined gloves don't breathe well. And the membranes seem to break down after a season or so with small holes that let water in. The Kincos are inherently more breathable than a membrane and can be resealed again and again and maintain that water resistance as long as the leather shell holds together. Also you can wax them less (ammount or frequency) and achieve a level of breathability while maintaining enough weather resistance for 1" an hour snow. Compared to a typical goretex ski glove, the all leather kincos are both more durably water resistant and more breathable. This leads to greater comfort over the life of the glove And they achieve this at a $35 pricepoint.

These guys seem to have the right idea.

https://www.freethepowder.com/pages/breathable-ski-gloves

Do you fit them tight when new and let them stretch and pack?
Btw, trying to find this thread again, I couldn’t. I had no idea it was in the Patrol shack section! Lol, oh well.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you fit them tight when new and let them stretch and pack?
Btw, trying to find this thread again, I couldn’t. I had no idea it was in the Patrol shack section! Lol, oh well.
I just fit them normally. I think there's a size chart.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
IMO Goretex is generally terrible for gloves . The nature of flexing in use and the fiddly shape provides the ideal environment for tearing of the insert membrane and once the membrane is torn then there is no retro repair.

Leather infinitely superior for comfort and at least those days when its snaining and you're bleeding deerskin yellow into the snow you are unlikely to have the really cold temps.