• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Glove Recommendations?

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
They have a mountain version now too. Comes with a cuff with a cord lock, which also allows you to attach idiot cords.
Unfortunately, they are black. I would have loved the bright blue, easy to find in the dark and in my glove bin or backpack.

View attachment 123840

If I was a patroller, I would grab 2 pairs of these, for wet days. Switching them out as they become damp inside
Here at East Coast, I never really have to deal with wet ski days. They are good for ice climbing, especially early season and late season. I'm impressed that you use them for skiing. I prefer Kinco 1927 with snow sealed.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here at East Coast, I never really have to deal with wet ski days. They are good for ice climbing, especially early season and late season. I'm impressed that you use them for skiing. I prefer Kinco 1927 with snow sealed.
No, I don’t use them for skiing either, I have poor circulation, so mittens much of the time on chairlifts.
although I might them this spring for touring, dealing with wet skins etc. If it’s raining I tend to not ski. I only got mine a few weeks ago, have used them for work outside and ice climbing.
I am not a patroller.
But since @Idris mentioned the original blue ones, I figured that any patrollers (or others) interested , would like the new version better.
And for patrol I could see using them more, again because your hands might be grabbing wet stuff like ladders, ropes and bamboo, where a truly waterpoof glove comes into it’s own more. Also you can’t skip nasty wet days.

that’s why I said ‘IF I was a patroller’ I’d have two pairs. At that price, you might as well buy two at once, since the shipping will be the same.

Last edited:

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Surprised nobody has mentioned Reusch. I know about half of you ol' geezers have Reusch glove buried in your closet with your 80s day suit.

Reusch gloves will go to hell and back many times before giving up the ghost. There's a reason they build the most World Cup gloves.

Chris Axebiker

Recovering Meadowskipper
Skier
Surprised nobody has mentioned Reusch. I know about half of you ol' geezers have Reusch glove buried in your closet with your 80s day suit.

Reusch gloves will go to hell and back many times before giving up the ghost. There's a reason they build the most World Cup gloves.

I don’t know that I’d use Reusch as a “work glove”. Too expensive. $30 Kincos do just as good of a job. If you see a “working patrollers“ gloves, I think you’d understand why.

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
I don’t know that I’d use Reusch as a “work glove”. Too expensive. $30 Kincos do just as good of a job. If you see a “working patrollers“ gloves, I think you’d understand why.

I guess you ignored the 80s and 90s when half of the lifties and patrollers were using Reusch World Cup gloves for every day abuse. Their kids and grand kids still pull them out of the closet for 80's day.

If you're looking for dirt cheap, little to no warmth, and zero dexterity, Kinco all the way.

James

Out There
Instructor
I just got a pair if Wells Lamont gloves. Did the NikWax seal using the oven. That worked well.

They are not warm. At all. Fail. I got them for snow blowing and shoveling, with possible use for skiing. Prob won’t make the skiing use unless it’s pretty warm.

Last edited:

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess you ignored the 80s and 90s when half of the lifties and patrollers were using Reusch World Cup gloves for every day abuse. Their kids and grand kids still pull them out of the closet for 80's day.

If you're looking for dirt cheap, little to no warmth, and zero dexterity, Kinco all the way.
Ha, patrollers can’t wait to spend $150+ for a pair of work gloves. I’ll suggest that to my patrol comrades - okay if I drop your name as a recommendation? I don’t recall seeing Kincos in the 80s/90s. In my 13 seasons experience Kincos were warm enough for 90% of the time (FTP for super-cold), and dexterous enough 100%.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
cuff vs. gauntlet -- pro/con?

You can't run the cuff :ogbiggrin:

Long cuffs are warmer in foul weather, easier to put on, usually come with a built in glove leash.

Short cuffs are less bulky, and not as warm--which can be a good thing, depending.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
These aren’t in the warmest category, but more Kinco type. Hestra makes a winter work glove that’s pretty cheap. Pretty sure I’ve seen a pack of two for $40.
View attachment 87004
+1
And here’s another Hestra work glove that I have worn almost every day this season.
They are definitely not the warmest, but they are warm enough for me most of the time, and they are extraordinarily comfortable.
8528F503-2E05-4E83-AD56-DD3CE047AB59.jpeg

https://job.hestragloves.com/en/gloves/weather-protection/74160-kobolt-czone-winter-flex/100/

James

Out There
Instructor
cuff vs. gauntlet -- pro/con?
Well, one down side to the gauntlet is you can‘t put your sleeve over it. What’s wrong with that? When it rains, the water drips down your sleeve into your glove. These are the types of things one learns in the East.

I still have the first gen? FTP gloves. They have an insulated cuff which is too small to fit over many jackets, and too big for some jackets to go over. It’s often a mess. Still, they’re practically worn out now.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Something we been through to some degree in the thread.
Imo and that of a few others is this....
....undivided attention is (not 100%) but most always better and more productive for a student than divided attention.
Not just skiing but just about anything, an instructor should be able to give more to one student with undivided attention in a short time frame than they can to many via divided attention in that same short time frame. There are pros and cons but majority of the time that should hold true. Plus it helps with the weak link or two that may be in a group who work at slowing things down for the faster/fastes learner or two.

While nothing is 100% and while their can be pros and cons to both, the benefits of the private 1st lesson is imo more than only negligible. It simply imo significantly raises the chances or odds of ending up being more productive for the student.
+1
And here’s another Hestra work glove that I have worn almost every day this season.
They are definitely not the warmest, but they are warm enough for me most of the time, and they are extraordinarily comfortable.
View attachment 126114
for cold weather DH mountain biking, patrol, dr
https://job.hestragloves.com/en/gloves/weather-protection/74160-kobolt-czone-winter-flex/100/
Love love love these gloves, use em for Patrolling, cold weather DH mountain biking, spring skiing, around the yard work...awesome gloves

James

Out There
Instructor
I tink I referred to these as Seth Morrison upthread. These are the spring gloves I have, they’re actually Jon Olsson model. These are really nice gloves. They have leashes which is very good for spring lift rides. That brass eyelet tab is really good for pulling them on and hanging from a pack to dry. I love them every time I use them, but they are not for winter cold weather.
If you see these remaindered for a good price and the right size, get them. I think they come in a white too.

70B91D99-BEFA-407D-AA6D-9CED2D2C1794.jpeg

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I started putting chemical warmers in my boots before driving to keep them warm for the boot up. Then I put the warmers in my worn out hestra job gloves and my hands don't get cold. Maybe not hot but not too cold.

stan51

Putting on skis
Skier
Plus one for chemical hand warmers!
I started using them on control routes where I am taking gloves off a lot, and realized that they made the difference between uncomfortably cold and OK on any cold day.
I get about two seasons out of a pair of full leather Kincos. Working with bamboo and fence lines eventually tears the stitching.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Also, not all hand warmers are created equal. In my personal experience, Grabbers hand warmers are much better than Hothands.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

James

Out There
Instructor
Couple sale items now-

C53A046D-71EB-40E1-B66D-95CD88E645B1.jpeg

FlyLow Super Mitten
On sale now, $40 Worth a shot.

Gordini Polar II Mitt (Down) $61 plus now for next 5 days, 15% off with code “ primetime “, $52

68E9AA78-426E-4EDC-B83F-02406878EFA4.jpeg

Only medium in this color, L, XL in black

Plus FTP off season-
7EA95DFA-70BC-40A9-9CAD-23D857B2F6ED.jpeg

$59. All others on sale too.

Last edited:

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Plus one for chemical hand warmers!
I started using them on control routes where I am taking gloves off a lot, and realized that they made the difference between uncomfortably cold and OK on any cold day.
I get about two seasons out of a pair of full leather Kincos. Working with bamboo and fence lines eventually tears the stitching.
Kincos all leather gloves have worked well for me the past 10 years or so. Once I tried them I never bought anything else for me or the family. No complaints from anyone. We never get cold hands with them for most midwinter days in UT. The kids get handwarmers in theirs and never complain once the handwarmers are in.

Also have a pair of kinco mits that I use for hunting - long time sitting late season makes for cold hands. And very rarely for skiing very cold and windy days.

Last edited:

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Couple sale items now-

View attachment 173072
FlyLow Super Mitten
On sale now, $40 Worth a shot.

Gordini Polar II Mitt (Down) $61 plus now for next 5 days, 15% off with code “ primetime “, $52

View attachment 173077
Only medium in this color, L, XL in black

Plus FTP off season-
View attachment 173075
$59. All others on sale too.
Just curious but is down work well in gloves for resort skiing?

Sponsor