• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Glove Recommendations?

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So here in April at Killington were you using mitts on the warm day?
View attachment 173308
An Alti mitt there ^ would be too warm, though you can take the inner liner out and the outer is still insulated. Bottom was too warm for gloves at all.

You like gauntlet or cuff?
Definitely mitts. Gordini leather and down.
See avatar photo. Wearing them there too. That day was single digits (Fahrenheit) at Bretton Woods.
I'm a simple skier . . . one pair of gloves (I have old Grandoe leather and down pair as backup) one pair of skis. And definitely no messing with liners.
I do recall taking the gloves off at the base while we watched the Mogul Challenge, and on the lift.
No leashes either . . . living dangerously.
I'd been eyeing Hestras as my next pair of mitts, maybe venture into the 3 finger mitt/glove hybrid. But the Flylow deal was too good to pass up.
And gauntlet, always.

vtm@madriver

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Kincos...$ 26 bucks. Use them for a season or until they're trashed, whichever comes first, then use them for stacking firewood. Who the f--k would use a pair of $ 125 Hestra's for patrol? They're for day off skiing and visiting other areas on a comp.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Kincos...$ 26 bucks. Use them for a season or until they're trashed, whichever comes first, then use them for stacking firewood. Who the f--k would use a pair of $ 125 Hestra's for patrol? They're for day off skiing and visiting other areas on a comp.
Chairlift-Rescue-Petersen-SkiTalk.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After a pretty unsatisfying journey through several name brand gloves (no dexterity, not warm, etc., etc.) I stumbled into these at REI the other day.

They are warm and have good dexterity, and retail for $80 -- "free" with my dividend -- with REI standing behind them.

udailey

Browsing Garage sale and eBay
Skier
I bought four pair of the Free the Powder mittens a few years ago. Sometimes they are literally too warm and I find myself taking them off after I get off the lift. They get wet from my sweat but they don't get more cold because of it. I turn the liner inside out at night and they are dry in the morning. I love mittens and these are the best I've ever bought. My wife and daughters couldn't care less about equipment but they don't complain about these mittens. Decent price too. Think I paid about $70 per.
Edit: I should add that these are really warm. Like on a warm day you don't want them. On a zero degree I don't get cold fingers.

CHS Snowmakers

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
We have been selling Joka gloves for years for snowmakers. A year ago we recieved our first samples of a new waterproof glove that is more like a leather gloves. We have the new Joka 5550 in stock in Idaho and we would love for you to compare them to your traditional leather gloves before winter is over. They will be very good for ski patrol and lift mechanics. I have been wearing the same pair of gloves for a year now, washed them 3 or 4 times and they are still water proof and holding up extremely well. https://www.chssnowmakers.com/joka-gloves/

Spam16v

Zac
Skier
I wear two kinds of Kincos depending on the cuff for the day and a thin pair of Klim Goretex snowmobile gloves that have a ton of dexterity. They’re all 3-4 seasons old and near zero signs of wear.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
My regular patrol glove quiver. Free the Powder has treated me well for several years, but Truck Gloves are a great value -- even not on pro form. A pair of old FTP mitts in the locker for very cold days -- but it's easy to do rope work with the new Truck lobsters.

1676570255870.png

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought some FTP gloves 2 years ago near end of season when they went on sale. I haven't been out in -20's but have had a couple -10's days in them and For at least 5 hours at a time, my fingers and hands are perfectly happy inside them.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bought a pair and the size of my fingers are too thick for the glove. I have normal fingers.

Same. Too tight -- on the newer ones with the removable liner.

My old ones without removable liner have more finger room.

I didn't notice the removable liner addition when I ordered a few years ago on spring blowout pricing.

OnEdge

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm a huge Free the Powder Fan...

I have:
  • the SX Pro Mitten
  • the Lite Liner for the mitten
  • the BC Glove
With those 2.5 hand coverings I'm completely covered for all conditions from -25 (no handwarmers) with the stock liner in the SX mitten to warm nordic days with the BC glove. The stock SX liner incredibly warm, so I do suggest either the lite liner or the BC glove (or both) for warmer days.

I'm on year 4 of my initial pairs and they get full winter use (not just skiing - everything other than really wet/dirty Montana stuff around the homestead) and it looks like I'll get at least another couple of seasons out of them. Incredibly durable, and I'm not known for being easy on gear.

I feel like I've both said too much and can't say enough... Great products.

Reactions: BC.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
My new Free the Powder Baldy mittens arrived yesterday (of course AFTER the truly brutal weather we just had last week for the third time) and it was windy enough for a good test. Very happy with them. I don't really want -7° and worse plus 40 mph winds to come back for a fourth visit this year, tho. For a change, the one part of my body not rethinking my clothing choices for the day was my hands. (The temperature was in the 20's, but very high winds. I wore what I would wear for single digits, but really should have had even more on.)

Reactions: BC.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have a bigger selection of gloves than I should.

I really like each of my Swany, Hestra and Level Lobster style gloves.

I also really like my Burton gloves. Really good quality.

I typically take two pairs on any trip and wear them on alternate days.

JChockey22

Putting on skis
Skier
im always looking for the next warmest glove .. and "POW" gloves are the Cadillac of gloves IMO I could not believe that a glove was as a warm as a mitten ... seriously give them a shot you won't be disappointed

Sponsor

Staff online