• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gloves for warmer days

msr2009

Booting up
Skier
What gloves to people like for warmer ski days? We have insulated Kincos for most days, but today at Deer Valley (33F) they were HOT.

Is this a glove liner situation? Or are there recommendations for lighter gloves than our (admittedly, pretty beefy) Kincos?

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
Dakine's Storm Liners are pretty good on their own in my experience; they're warm & kinda soft-shelly, but breathe okay. I also like the Giro Inferna (I think there's a men's version too, just blanking on the name). They're a little thinner than the Dakines, but they've kept me plenty warm for XC and have a little more grip on the poles.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I just bought some amazing LEKI . Top quality. I of course use LEKI Trigger S Poles, so these are great! https://www.LEKI.com/uk/product-area/alpine-skiing/gloves/3594/worldcup-race-speed-3d/ 100% Sheepskin

I found them for $99 bucks, but need to look where I scored them.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Funny in that I generally run hot all the time.

I almost always use the flip mitten gloves for this reason and too, makes grabbing a camera or cell phone easy without having to take off a glove.

These are gloves with the mitten top over cut off fingers similar to these except the thumbs too have a flip off section:

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I wear the same mittens no matter how warm or cold. On warm days, the gloves come off while sitting on the lift chair.

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier
I like the Marmot Spring Glove. They're not expensive at retail prices and I've seen them as low as $35 on sale. Been through a couple pairs and I think they're excellent.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I use Head running gloves that I get at Costco for about $15. Warm enough for into the 20s on dry, windless days. Cool enough on warm days.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I'm lucky to work at a ski shop where the Lange rep is very generous on his annual visits. My spring gloves came from him. I've also use uninsulated work gloves.

Also, racing gloves can be spring gloves as some models are made to be low aero-profile and less insulated.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
LOL, for warm weather I usually just buy whatever is on sale. However I'm rethinking it due to a fall I had wearing a pair of cheap Head gloves from Costco. I had a moderate speed fall, and the condition of one of the gloves after the slide made me realize that if I were to have had a high speed fall, I would be missing a lot of skin off my hand. Now I'm thinking about motorcycle riding gloves.

Sidebar: after a high speed unscheduled motorcycle dismount, I decided warm weather leather motorcycle gloves provided inadequate skin protection from the pavement and switched to thicker gloves all the time. Ice is a little less abrasive though.

Gloves are for protection, from more than just cold.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm lucky to work at a ski shop where the Lange rep is very generous on his annual visits. My spring gloves came from him.

I like those - it's warm enough around here to use them most of the season.

I also like the Komperdell flex touring gloves - they are easily nimble enough to shift mechanical road bike - but not really warm enough for under 20F.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, it all depends on what you want and need, and then models change, it is hard to suggest a model, they disappear quickly.

I have some OR Lodestar gloves that are great for much of this: pitaards leather palm and fingertips, breathable nylon back, fleece liniing palm and back, and... discontinued

Once it get really warm, I have some OR powerstretch liner gloves with leather palm and fingers, with is a rare find... discontinued I think.

Hestra Ergogrip active is really nice if you want dexterity and windproofness.

Showa Temres if you need waterpoof (wore them today at 34F for ice climbing/belaying).

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One of the Hestra ErgoGrips should be fine I imagine.
Ergo Grip Active for instance.