• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Goggles for kids

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
Recommendations for ages 10 and 12.

Any recommendations for night skiing goggles for kids?

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any brand will do...they’ll never know the difference. My kids at that age used:

-Oakley A Frame
-Smith IO

Night skiing.....yellow or clear lenses work well.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
be price sensitive, look for discounted old stock goggles. the kids will ruin their gear with crashes and fallsn or with sticky chocolate covered fingers, esp if this is just for recreation, don't get too attached or crazy.

Still look for a minimum snowsports goggle with 2layers lens, and at least some effort or language towards antifog coating and venting. Helmet compatibility probably is a given these days but something to watch out for.

Hopefully you also pick up a cloth helmet bag or gear bag to try to keep the helmet/googles in reasonable shape.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We can not give recommendations, since we can’t try them on your kids. Age is not the same as face size and shape.
If they have slightly larger heads, adult goggles will work, in which case you can get somehting with interchangeable lenses, or get two goggles.

Either way, for night skiing clear or very light yellow >65%VLT). For daytime skiing, that is pretty darn light, most people light somehting in the 20-40% VLT for an all around lens.
Or get a photochromic lens , if you can find it cheap enough.

If they have a small head, there are several high quality youth goggles out there these days.

Clearance can be your friend, so either go to a shop, or order online and return, but try them on with their helmet.

I would say to stay away from the very cheapest goggles. Mid level ones tend to be a fair bit better and more comfortable. And with close outs, often a very small difference.

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
My kids are in the POCito goggles, we swap to yellow or clear lenses when at night,indoor, or any other low light situation.

parkrat

Booting up
Skier
I'm a true believer in Oakley's Prizm lenses. The contrast is exceptional. The snow persimmon tint might work well for night skiing.

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
Ditto POC, if they're growing or you don't want to take them in to try goggles on. They have a soft rubbery frame, so they're usually a good bet if you're not sure about the fit. They also have the Mid sizes in the adult goggles, which works really well if they need kind of a tween/small adult size.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm a true believer in Oakley's Prizm lenses. The contrast is exceptional. The snow persimmon tint might work well for night skiing.
And...Oakley Prizm doesn't work well for my eyes. Smith ChromaPop, Dragon Lumalens, Spy Happy all work better for my eyes. An adult should test view the goggles through the shop window on a gray day. Kids...get them the frame color they want and the fit for their face & helmet.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Smith and Giro also make very affordable, reliable, kids goggles, and smith still makes a very simple old school clear lense goggle that's cheap. I'm not spending 200+ on goggles for my 10 y.o. ever in a million years.

Sponsor

Staff online