• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Goggles with Blue Base Tint

James

Out There
Instructor
Since the internet is a trash dump and google a McDonald’s kiosk with extra ads, our transmission curves may be lost.

2539E3FF-BFD2-4D93-B63B-E17CE84A0067.png

Found this-

Looking Through "Rose-Tinted" Glasses: The Influence of Tint on Visual Affective Processing

June, 2019 Frontiers in Human Neuroscience

7E518A74-A6E7-4F2B-9423-95B06EB42966.png

| Spectral transmission of color-tinted lenses in percentage. The yellow-and red-tinted lens are high-pass filter with cut-off at ca. 480 nm and 610 nm, respectively. The blue-and green-tinted lens transmits the spectral curve of an inverted U-shape with peak at ca. 460 nm and 550 nm, respectively.

Last edited:
TS
A

Angus Grizzly

Booting up
Skier
I might be able to dig up one of the old Scott blues. IIRC the lens wasn't particularly high quality, but if I do, you'd be welcome to them for whatever experiments you wish to run.
That is very kind. I am in the UK though so it might not be feasible. Still, if you do find one I can look into the post/customs situation. Cheers.

TS
A

Angus Grizzly

Booting up
Skier
Since the internet is a trash dump and google a McDonald’s kiosk with extra ads, our transmission curves may be lost.

View attachment 165970

Found this-

Looking Through "Rose-Tinted" Glasses: The Influence of Tint on Visual Affective Processing

June, 2019 Frontiers in Human Neuroscience

View attachment 165969

| Spectral transmission of color-tinted lenses in percentage. The yellow-and red-tinted lens are high-pass filter with cut-off at ca. 480 nm and 610 nm, respectively. The blue-and green-tinted lens transmits the spectral curve of an inverted U-shape with peak at ca. 460 nm and 550 nm, respectively.

Wow...Taking a look at the link - it looks as though red tint emphasises both pleasant and unpleasant reactions while blue seems to cut out some of the unpleasantness - I think!! This suggests we should all be wearing blue - especially in European lift lines.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Angus Grizzly

Uvex is the only company I know of who still sell blue lenses. Bliz, Poc and Shred used to, so might be possible to find old stock. Especially from Bliz, who discontinued them quite recently.

Uvex have several models with a blue base tint, usually category 2 or 3. They also make or recently made a kid's goggle in a category 1. All of them are usually available at decent prices online. Tend to switch categories and models from year to year, but the catalogues are quite informative and unlike most companies their illustrations show the base tints.

Dragon DX3s with a cat 1 blue lens from last season or the one before are still knocking around online and fit a smaller face - wide wrap but not a tall frame.
Next year's Dragon catalogue advertises a blue replacement lens for these and for the D1, though they did for the D1 two years ago, but no one stocked it and Dragon themselves couldn't help me find one.
Dragon also do a cat 1 violet lens in pretty much everything apart from the ones I've mentioned here. Haven't seen Dragon blue or violet so can't comment, just know they're available

On violet lenses, POC Clarity Comps are another option. For the category 1 lens, violet is a fitting description, but for the cat 2 with the blue mirror, to me at least its closer to red to look through.

Another violet Cat 2 is offered by Dainese (like the POC cat 2, it's at the darker end of the category). For some reason they call the lens Pink Gold, but it's actually purple, to the extent that to my eyes it's closer to blue than the POC Clarity Comp cat 1. (Comes as standard with the black frame, but they don't tell you that either, you'd think it needs buying as a replacement lens.) A few Dainese athletes can still be seen in blue lenses, but the company aren't selling them, or at least weren't when I enquired last year.

Bliz Nordic Light cat 2 lenses are supposed to be violet, but I haven't seen them.

As far as I know, most Sweet Protection RIG base tints are a variation on violet (or amethyst, in their words).

If anyone's looking for green - another less common offering now almost everything has gone pink: Uvex, Shred, Electric, Vola. Or Salice (but only in a cat 4).

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Goggle companies are terrible at the whole specifics of what their particular lenses do and are based on. Great at marketing the sub brand of the new lens range and how it gives you bionic eyesight but totally confusing in their description of the lens in which case a cosmetic outer colour may be totally different from the base tint. This further gets compounded by retailers lifting pack or marketing copy partially in their descriptions. Sometimes it's a challenge to find out online whether the colour is a reference to the frame or lens.

Take Smith Chromapop (just cos I was looking for this info last week)

Does the Everyday Red Mirror have a brown or rose base tint and is it clearly explained why it matters?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
How are you defining that? Shorthand for poor visibility, or is it very specific light conditions?
It's hard to define flat light other than a know it when you see it situation. I'd say its when an individual has difficulty picking out snow surface and features in circumstances OTHER than there being physical obstructions to vision like snowfall.

But I think it is highly specific to individuals - I've been picking along nervously in a Hi yellow lens when others have blown by me like its a full sunny day.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's hard to define flat light other than a know it when you see it situation. I'd say its when an individual has difficulty picking out snow surface and features in circumstances OTHER than there being physical obstructions to vision like snowfall.

But I think it is highly specific to individuals - I've been picking along nervously in a Hi yellow lens when others have blown by me like its a full sunny day.
Sorry, question wasn't clear - does @Angus Grizzly mean any specific flat light conditions, or anything with the effect you describe?4

Last edited:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks. These look really good and with a VLT of 40% could well work. Now need to find someone with some in stock. Cheers.

It might be worth reaching out to Anon and explaining your situation. They might have something stashed somewhere, even a sample model, that they'd be willing to send you given the special need.

As a back up idea, if you can find sunglasses with the blue base tint then get a clear lens OTG goggle, that might work as well.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Angus, sunlight scatters through clouds at different rates depending on the wavelength of the light. This increased scattering through clouds lights all sides of an object which results in what we call flat light, i.e., greatly reduced contrast. Things are hard to see clearly, especially unevenness on the snow surface. Short wavelength light, like blue, scatters more than longer wavelength light such as yellow, orange, or red. If we filter out the blue light with yellow or amber or rose lenses we can see contrast better. Blue lenses will be no help and may make contrast visibility worse. Colored lenses pass the color of the lens and filter out other colors. So, my suggestion is that you have her try goggles of various colors on a cloudy day at a ski area and see what works for her to help her vision and increase contrast of unevenness of the snow. Don't buy before she tries. On a cloudy day with snow on the ground ask at a shop if she can try goggles through a window or door and see what works for her. Spy Optics has their line of Happy lenses in ski goggles, sun glasses and prescription sun glasses. It looks green to me, but they call it long wave blue. In any case, that would be worth a try for your daughter. And, it might be that what works best for her is her blue glasses with clear lens goggles.
https://www.spyoptic.com/snow-tech/snow-tech.html

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
On a cloudy day with snow on the ground ask at a shop if she can try goggles through a window or door and see what works for her.
It's a funny thing. Tested a lot of goggles over the last couple of years in different environments. Only on my own eyes, but my experience is that while looking out of a window or doorway gives you a good idea, it isn't quite the same thing as being in the middle of a snowfield with much more scattered light around you. For most lenses, the results were the same, but I found one very hyped-up and by far the most expensive lens to be great when I was standing looking down the slope at the top of a run, but the worst I've ever had once I was actually moving on skis. That might be relevant given what she's finding.
Fortunately, most blue lenses are not hyped up as contrast boosting and are some of the cheapest good-quality goggles you can get. You could probably buy at least three different blue lenses with frames for the price of the most expensive option.

If the blue glasses under a clear lens is the goer, Uvex and Dragon might offer most the choice in over-the-glasses frames and clear lenses. Uvex also used to do darker clear lenses with a stronger mirror, offering cats 2 and 3 without a tint. Seen them knocking around online.

Blue lenses will be no help and may make contrast visibility worse.
Some info offered by Shred, who had some tests done at MIT with a light box, is that while some people pick up on reds more, others are more sensitive to blues and greens, and so they brought out green lenses as well as rose ones in their "CBL" range. Unfortunately I can't find published results, just Shred's bumph. Would be interested if anyone has any more info on this.

If we filter out the blue light with yellow or amber or rose lenses we can see contrast better.

Is it as simple as that? The current thinking/marketing is to attenuate blue light, not to filter it out. Now, I'm just parroting what the companies are saying, so if you know more about this, do put me right, but their reasoning is that filtering out all the blue light leaves you with less contrast. The current lenses described as contrast-boosting are claimed to allow short-wave blue light in and to only block the longer blue wavelengths. Zeiss claim that that is not the case with what they describe as standard yellow lenses. The Zeiss-branded violet lenses offered by Poc are supposed to allow even more short-wave blue light in for increased contrast. Might be noteworthy that Sweet Protection, Bliz, Dragon, Dainese and most recently Head have also brought out violet lenses. Following a trend or due to athlete testing and feedback? Or simply due to a manufacturer's decisions?

I'm sceptical when "technology" is touted, since the only relevant aspect as far as I'm aware is the choice of dye. When Oakley brought out Prizm Snow lenses, they claimed they'd been working on it for years. Zeiss said the same of Sonar lenses. Yet Scott Amplifier lenses had already been doing this blue attenuation thing for years before either Prizm or Sonar came out. Whether any red dye has the same effect, I can't say. I can only say that I had both pink and red lenses by another brand prior to Scott Amplifiers, and they didn't work as well for me. Standard amber lenses didn't either. I've found most, but not all, of the newer type marketed as blue-attentuating I've tested to be better. Whether that means older red-tinted lenses were not attenuating and only blocking or I've just found a particular dye to be better for my eyes, I'd be intrigued to know. I do note that Bollé have made pink lenses for years, and notably, unlike most of the other major brands, they've refrained from bringing out any new versions claimed to be better.

Last edited by a moderator:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
To be perfectly honest, when the light condition/visibility is that bad, stop looking and feel.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Why not delay that bit if a different lens helps?

There are times when there is simply nothing to see regardless which goggle is on your face. Spent a season skiing everyday at W/B to confirm that.
Feel with your feet/skis. You'll be surprised how much you can feel.

Even in full sun light, I feel as much as I see.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
There are times when there is simply nothing to see regardless which goggle is on your face. Spent a season skiing everyday at W/B to confirm that.
Feel with your feet/skis. You'll be surprised how much you can feel.

Even in full sun light, I feel as much as I see.
My skis are like antennas.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My skis are like antennas.

Yup, antennae like. Must've been a roach in my previous life.
Nowadays, I identified as a butterfly. A short chunky butterfly. Maybe I am just a moth in reality but definitely feel more like a butterfly when I am on skis.

Sponsor

Staff online