• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
Hey everyone!

I’m looking for recommendations for a great bootfitter near Sugarbush in VT. My husband and I have new equipment that we bought two summers ago on sale but didn’t get to break in or have adjusted because work/moving stole all our time : ( We’re hoping to have a better ski season this year, but need to make sure we get our boots adjusted while we’re at Sugarbush, our first trip to a ski area, since there are no bootfitters in our new hometown, Cincinnati, OH.

Please let me know about anybody good at/near Sugarbush! Thank you!

dave g

Booting up
Skier
Race Stock Sports. PJ Dewey is a master. You can find all the information you need on the Race Stock sports web page.

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
PJ does mostly racers.

A lot of common folk go in there also to get their boots. He did mine. He replace some of foam inside the liner with different densities and shaped it to fit my ankles and heel. Stitched them back up with surgical precision. Make sure you book an appointment before you go.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
My recommendation of Alpine Options was based on location, and the fact that not everybody needs a fitter who will approach things like PJ. I have known PJ for 20+ years. He fit both of my now adult kids {both coaches in the West} when they were younger. Their two boot companies had him fitting all of their comp'd athletes. Lange {where PJ grew up as their WC rep for US athletes} and Nordica. I agree PJ is very good, and when it comes to a plug boot, is a master. He has fit me to two pairs of Dobermans over the years. A multi hour process with great results.

Just saying, it’s not worth arguing, but Alpine Options and their guys might be just fine for the OP’s needs. Completely different process, most likely.

Just a hunch.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Thanks Muleski for being realistic. The OP is a relatively new skier, she doesn't need the plug boot treatment and the Racestock crew really doesn't have the bandwidth to deal with 'adjusting' boots bought on sale somewhere else... two years ago. Alpine Options or VT North are much better options.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
But isn't everyone a racer, at least an expert?:)
A lot of common folk go in there also to get their boots. He did mine. He replace some of foam inside the liner with different densities and shaped it to fit my ankles and heel. Stitched them back up with surgical precision. Make sure you book an appointment before you go.
I've been, many, many times. As Muleski says, he's one of, and possibly the best, at fitting you into a plug race boot.
For a walk in recreational skier.........

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We compensate the best we can, and you know what they say about old men and snazzy cars.

TS
hollyberry

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks for all the recommendations! I will check out both shops. It will probably come down to whoever has available sessions when I’m up there.

Lol I’m definitely not an expert, but you also won’t find me screaming “I CAAAAN’T STOPPPP!!” on a green run while frantically trying to pizza wedge ; p

I’ve been told that I have a very “difficult” foot by bootfitters in the past (super high arch, wide forefoot, very narrow heel AKA a duck foot lol,) so I want to make sure I will get a great fit. The boot is an Atomic Hawk 100, some past year model that was on sale. Wanted a stiffer/tighter boot because I felt like I was slipping and sliding in my old Spyre 90’s, especially on steeper terrain and moguls when I wanted control. To clarify, I did ski on the new boots ONCE after purchasing them, over at a little hill (Hunter Mt, in NY,) and couldn’t feel my feet after about four runs, even with all the latches on the loosest setting and the one on top of the arch not even fastened, and even though I did my ‘homework’ as the fitter requested IE wearing them around the house, flexing, etc for about 10 days beforehand. I’m hoping to get them adjusted so they are still nice and snug but not cutting off circulation.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
PJ works on anyone. He has worked both our boots we bought elsewhere. He just make me a set of BootDoc foam liners for my Atomic boots bought from another shop in the valley. He also built footbeds fir my wife who bought boots else where. My wife’s not a racer and I’m a long time retired racer. He had no issues working with us common folks. In my opinion best guy in the valley for no BS boot fits. He is a no BS guy and does a great job. I drive past 2 other ‘respected’ boot fitters to visit PJ & crew. I don’t know anything about Apline shop that was reference since we are in Stowe.

Unfortunately If your in the wrong boot, your going to need to start over.

TS
hollyberry

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
Any idea what PJ typically charges? It looks like we may go to him because he happens to have availability on our ideal day. He is hesitant to give a quote over the phone without seeing my foot or my boot, which I understand, but I would feel more comfortable with at least a ballpark figure before making an appointment.

I’ve never actually paid for a bootfitting before, because it has always been complimentary with the purchase of a boot, so I don’t know how much the labor alone typically costs.

Sponsor

Staff online