• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Good Universal Wax - Hertel? Or something else?

Eagle93

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm nearing the end of a bar of Hertel Super Hot Sauce which is the wax I've been using for the last 4-5 years. I use it for everything, including an unscraped storage layer before putting the skis away for the summer. Before buying another bar of Hertel, I thought I'd check-in and see if there is anything new on the market I'm unaware of.

I typically only get a half dozen or so days on snow per year and wax my skis 2-3 times at most. Usually one trip out west per year and then a few days on a local bump in MN with much harder/icier snow. Given the low number of skier days, a universal, all-temp, wax is appealing to me for simplicity's sake. Something that provides decent performance in a potential early season, 100% manmade snow day in MN, Colorado powder, and a potential refreeze to slush day in the MN spring. In my experience, Hertel works pretty well across the board.

Anything you recommend that as a better choice than Hertel?

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been using the Hertel Super Sauce for many years in all conditions (approx. 30 days per year) and have been happy with it.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you want to experiment, try some swix green for the cold days in MN. It's a pita to scrape but definitely hold up better. You could get 6 full days out of it and just get a quick wax in CO if it's not working for you.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
Purl Ski/Snowboard Wax All temp 1Lb Block
Still working on the same block for a few years. I wouldn’t say it’s any better than Hertel but easier to do the crayon method with

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Dominator Zoom might be better than Hertel Super Hot Sauce. I've used a lot of Hertel and like it very much except when very cold or very warm (not surprising). I've used the Zoom for five days. This was the Zoom with graphite which was recommended for both man made snow and for late season snow that might contain dust particles. Anyway the Zoom graphite worked great for cold man made snow and more normal temperatures the following week.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
I have been very happy with hertel. I get 15-25 days a year, and really can’t complain about the wax. It has done well in VT ice to CO fluff.

You might consider getting their wax hardener for those early days in MN. Familiar stuff for you, with just a little plus for the conditions.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I used SuperSauce for years. Switched to Hertel's FC739 racewax when I ran out and barely notice a difference. might last a little longer. I've tried various other waxes thru the years, but since I don't race I'm just looking for easy glide on the flats and not sticking so Hertel is fine. 3/4lb. block lasts forever compared to the tiny bars most companies sell.

I do also use their Spring Solution once the snow gets warm and sticky.

Zef

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I have been using Kandahar ski wax (green) since last winter and find it gives good glide in a wide range of conditions.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Based on what you are saying, all you need is Dominator Graphite Zoom & some Dominator Bullet.
In the super cold or man made you blend the Bullet in with the Zoom.
You might also consider a bar of Graphite Base Renew for base preparation. It's like the glue that makes the wax job last longer. Based on your time skiing, these bars will last you a long long time!
Both these wax have anti-static ingredients which are super important for good glide.
Say goodbye to the Terry wax.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m a fan of the Hertel FC739 as good all around all temperature wax. Last well, performs in all condition from +7C to -20C. For the skiing I do its the do all wax.

Are there better selections for racing, maybe, but then again they are condition specific, pick wrong and they have the opposite effect of what is intended.

So I’m a little lazy here, FC739 works well, no negatives so far, no brainer, just wax and ski in whatever conditions throw at you.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have tried most of the ones mentioned above. I have settled on Purl Purple for most of my ski days. Easy to work with and seems to hold up well and gives a good glide.

TS
Eagle93

Eagle93

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I appreciate it. Sounds like Hertel is still popular, but worth looking into the FC739 and the Dominiator Zoom Graphite. I'll do a little reading on each and compare prices. With it sounding like they are all fairly comparable, I may go with the best value I can find.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FC is good but I find the Hertel slow in some conditions, like under -15C. Also, it doesn't seem to combine well with generic HC wax. I switched to Tokyo all-temp LF wax as my go-to, for a few years now. It works in more conditions, lasts somewhat longer and I find it easier to put on and scrape.

I don't think you'll go wrong with the Hertel, though!

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I appreciate it. Sounds like Hertel is still popular, but worth looking into the FC739 and the Dominiator Zoom Graphite. I'll do a little reading on each and compare prices. With it sounding like they are all fairly comparable, I may go with the best value I can find.
Don't underestimate the anit-static component in Graphite Zoom and Bullet.
The graphite also acts as a solid lubricant to prevent excess base wear.
Although graphite is harder than any snow crystals, it has a very low internal friction.
Just plain hard wax will have a much higher internal friction, and do nothing for static cling.
Among waxes that claim graphite, none come close to Dominator's

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I started waxing a few seasons ago I used Hertel mostly because of the price.
I switched to Purl last season after finding it in 1lb bars for about the same price as Hertel. It works for the snow in Utah and the best part is it keeps me busy working on skis.
C3FBF807-55B0-4749-9F01-642DDEAB8665.jpeg

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Don't underestimate the anit-static component in Graphite Zoom and Bullet.
The graphite also acts as a solid lubricant to prevent excess base wear.
Although graphite is harder than any snow crystals, it has a very low internal friction.
Just plain hard wax will have a much higher internal friction, and do nothing for static cling.
Among waxes that claim graphite, none come close to Dominator's
I stopped using the Graphite versions because of the new clear bases. Do regular ReNew, Zoom, and Bullet have a different antistat?

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Always happy with Purl. Prices are going up some but still a good price point.

Started using Beta Red Mix last year and happy with that. Tried some racewax.com green wax, but they are not going to be making their own brand of a wax anymore. Might try the Swix BP88 sometime, since I can get a discount.

Sponsor

Staff online