• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Good Universal Wax - Hertel? Or something else?

macumbed

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
@Chenzo @razie how do you think it compare with specific temperature wax? it's good on the extremes, like, -20C or 5C? Currently I'm using swix PS (8,7,6, polar in frozen canadian days), but I'm considering to base grind and change to nanox training for base preparation and then use just nanox racing wax . I'm not a racer, but I love waxing and have a smoth glide and don't have kids yet to melt my $$$$ xD

altabrig

Drifting like a long radius with some tail rocker.
Skier
Hertel is great. It limits when cold and like all non fluorocarbon wax it looses effect when snow is warm wet and grabby.

Mix in cold swix ch4 or sub when really cold.

Can't condone fluoro, but there are shops still selling it.

I have a lifetime supply of Hertel.
20240117_210021.jpg

I wax the family's skis multiple times each season. Hertel makes sense. Use a cheap shop wax for summer. I have some other all Temps and temp specific, but 90% of the time Hertel works great for 4-5 days before waxing is needed.

I need to get a roto brush or two and an evo. Maybe I should paste, but where is the work? In light pow anything goes and most of the wax issues is from too.much groomer skiing. I don't race, so an all temp works just fine for most situations.

Let me reiterate, I love Hertel wax. Was given a cheap travel Iron, cheap edge file guide, a stone, a scaper a cork, and a couple small bars of Hertel wax as a gift when I was 14 from my Dad whose leg getting crushed in SLC at age 22 kept him from skiing. He planted the seed.

Hertel works and for me it has soul.

Last edited:

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Chenzo @razie how do you think it compare with specific temperature wax? it's good on the extremes, like, -20C or 5C? Currently I'm using swix PS (8,7,6, polar in frozen canadian days), but I'm considering to base grind and change to nanox training for base preparation and then use just nanox racing wax . I'm not a racer, but I love waxing and have a smoth glide and don't have kids yet to melt my $$$$ xD
The Hertel? Its ok on the warm side, great in the middle but not ok at and under -20.

The nanox was ok everywhere. Fairly consistent. Harder to put on as I remember.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Had the shop guy break me off a 1/2 brick of Purell purple they had collecting dust. I’ll see how it goes.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I switched from Hertel to Dominator last year, using Renew G as a prep wax and Graphite Zoom for everyday. I was impressed, but as I don't race and I am waxing skis for myself and my family (quite a few pairs), the cost really adds up. I'm thinking I might just go back to Hertel.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Really cold Hertel can slow down so add a harder wax with it if you want. Hertel spring solution with good structure works great in warm slop.

Chenzo

Putting on skis
Skier
-15 cel is the coldest I will go out in as I'm prone to frostbite on my face. I use Nanox training "very hard formula" on my kite snowboard (lake ice/snow). And I use the regular training Nanox on my track set Nordic skis. Main reason for Nanox use is that I never know when I will be doing those disciplines, and I can have them prepped and waiting. The very hard training Nanox is a faster wax imo, and is reportedly so.
I mostly ski backcountry Nordic these days (3rd knee surgery), and betamix is my go to for that.
As far as fastest wax for -20cel, you can't beat swix LF4. Ch4 or ch3 are good alternatives. Even some of the old arctic powders from toko, and burton (yes burton,ha) perform well and are durable.
Unfortunately, any of the good extreme cold waxes are hard to work with.

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
My buddy used Hertel Super Hot Sauce three weeks ago on a pow day (15-25* F air temp) and was raving about it. He seemed to cruise on cat tracks faster than I did.

So, I applied some and used it for the first time in 18*-36* F air temp the next week and I am sold on it. Lower application temperature (I had to come up to about 115* C from the recommended iron temp to really get it into the base).

Far better than the universal Swix and Toko waxes that I've been using. What really impressed me is I went through a some rough bulletproof stuff and no base burn whatsoever. Seems like the best bang for the buck as far as universals go. I also got a brick of the Hertel RACING 739 that imagine will be better for colder temps.

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
I use Demon Hyperwax Universal as all purpose wax, $25 for a 1 pound block at Amazon.

It works fine for the usual PNW snow, very easy to work with.

Very cold or very warm then I switch it up.

Sponsor

Staff online