• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Good used ski

lpranger467

Booting up
Skier
I'm sure this has been addressed multiple times, but I'm a pretty good intermediate (i can do blacks but not well), I ski in PA (Poconos) so mainly groomed, icy. Would like brand, model recommendations for something all mountain that would be good in the NE u.s. (I will take some trips to Vermont)

Thanks

TS
L

lpranger467

Booting up
Skier
Remember that premium skis will last for many seasons and you will not have to replace them as you get better.
Ok thanks, and I don't think I will ever race, I just want something all mountain that will be good while I grow and become more confident. I'm in my mid 50's so I won't ever be a daredevil but would like something that I wont outgrow too fast

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Ok thanks, and I don't think I will ever race, I just want something all mountain that will be good while I grow and become more confident. I'm in my mid 50's so I won't ever be a daredevil but would like something that I wont outgrow too fast

You're younger than a fair portion of skiers on this board :)

The price of that Volkl may look steep, but be aware that that price includes a _modern_ Gripwalk-compatible binding.

So that's really only $340 for a ski that's never been on snow, and $200 for a mounted binding that will be compatible with the majority of boot soles for the foreseeable future.

In case @Dakine s point wasn't clear, do consider _new_ skis (with modern bindings), available _now_ from any number of vendors.

The price difference between new and used is particularly low right now, you get a new ski, you get a futureproof binding with no wear and tear on it and no boot compatibility issues.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
You need skis suitable for the conditions you mention, suitable for your size & weight, and suitable for your skiing ability and technique. The term "all mountain" means little; it has been overused to death.

Look at https://www.SkiTalk.com/forums/product-reviews.120/ski-selector
Check 2020 & 2021 (which will include many prior year skis that weren't changed). Check Intermediate, Frontside, Men. Select Waist Width 60 to 80. See what you find.

About suitable for your size & weight...skis are made stiffer as they're made longer. The shortest are soft for lightweights and slow skiers. The longest are stiff for strong, powerful, fast skiers. Don't look as much at the actual centimeter length as where the ski sits in the range of sizes for that make & model (I'm a 6', 170# very good skier, and I like skis that are one size less that the max for that line of skis. A stronger faster skier my size might like the max). Skis that are too short/soft will be disappointing. Skis that are too long/stiff can be almost unskiable.

Older skis, regardless of the condition, have two drawbacks. Technology marches on. Newer skis do ski better. Also, the binding makers indemnify ski shops that work on bindings up to a certain age. Bindings that are too old are no longer on the list, and the ski shops won't touch them.

Good places to look include:
https://www.SkiTalk.com/forums/phils-garage-sale-and-ski-swap.34/
https://www.powder7.com/ (sells lots of good condition demo skis)
Maybe craigslist and ebay, some good stuff, lots of old junk or damaged junk.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I'm sure this has been addressed multiple times, but I'm a pretty good intermediate (i can do blacks but not well), I ski in PA (Poconos) so mainly groomed, icy. Would like brand, model recommendations for something all mountain that would be good in the NE u.s. (I will take some trips to Vermont)

Thanks
You should also tell us hight, weight and boot sole length (it should be printed on the side of the boot by the heel) that information will help us make a better recommendation. BTW chances are your boots are too big for you.

TS
L

lpranger467

Booting up
Skier
You should also tell us hight, weight and boot sole length (it should be printed on the side of the boot by the heel) that information will help us make a better recommendation. BTW chances are your boots are too big for you.
I'm 6'0, 175 and I boots are 11 (I also recall that I have 328 stamped on bottom)

Uncle-A

Skier
I'm 6'0, 175 and I boots are 11 (I also recall that I have 328 stamped on bottom)
I am also a PA skier and think that a front side carving ski is what you want. I am on a Head i Rally and it is a fun ski that you can ski all day and not beat you up as an intermediate that wants to get better. You should be able to pickup a used one or a left over from a demo shop. I am on a 170 CM ski but I am a little heavier than you. What length of ski are you thinking about?

TS
L

lpranger467

Booting up
Skier
I am also a PA skier and think that a front side carving ski is what you want. I am on a Head i Rally and it is a fun ski that you can ski all day and not beat you up as an intermediate that wants to get better. You should be able to pickup a used one or a left over from a demo shop. I am on a 170 CM ski but I am a little heavier than you. What length of ski are you thinking about?
Thanks very much, how does it handle on the few powder days we do get

TS
L

lpranger467

Booting up
Skier
And I was thinking 170

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Thanks

Go to a shop near the mountain and ask to try or buy some demo skis good for your area. They will cost about $500 and the shop will fit your boot to the skis.

Uncle-A

Skier
Thanks very much, how does it handle on the few powder days we do get
I have had it on only one powder day and it was only maybe 5 inch's of fresh snow. The ski cut through the snow, it didn't float through the snow. It is not going to be a powder ski but sometimes we get the thick soft wet snow or the soft spring conditions it did do pretty good in those.

Sponsor

Staff online