• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Goodrich v Alterra Mountain Company Settlement

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I don’t think you get the angst.

These folks are bottom feeders, they prey on service workers and have perpetuated their “image” of Mtn lifestyle while wrecking the very environment they sell.

Bare minimum, Ikon / Alterra has 3x used pics of me skiing in their campaigns without compensation.

They sold record passes in subsequent years & have contributed lil to the community.
So again if they really used your picture without your permission there are lawyers who specialize in this exact situation and they can get you significant compensation. While this class action suite seems a little flimsy, your case or should I say lawsuit sounds rock solid and you would walk away with more than the lawyers ... again if you can prove that is your image and you did not sign a release for its use commercially that is. Seriously stop complaining about it and get some compensation. More importantly once you get your compensation I guarantee they never make that mistake with your image ever again

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Apparently at times (or maybe always) the photo rights belong to the photographer/ the organization who hired them. There’s a photo of my daughter taken after the Cerro Grande fire in Los Alamos, NM. If we want a print without copyright stuff on it, we have to pay (I asked, I think it was a 10% discount granted us.)
Yes and no. The photos belong to the photographer, but your image and your right to publicity belong to you. Seriously I worked in this industry for 4 years and when it comes to commercial use of a photograph you need to usage rights not just for the photo but for any and images and likenesses contained in the photo. So unless you as an individual signed away your personal rights to publicity in some form of usage waiver, you have the right to demand compensation for the use of your image or likeness.

Now the photo of your daughter sounds like it may have been taken by a photo journalist and if that is the case use of that photo for editorial purposes (i.e. in a newspaper or magazine ... etc.) does not require waivers since the photo journalist is just capturing the news and yes in that case the photographer or the news organization they work for owns the copyright to that image and will charge editorial fees for its usage even if that is just so you can get a copy of it. If however they licensed the image to an insurance company for use in an ad, your daughters rights to publicity would have been violated and you would have grounds to sue and seek compensation.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How do you think I feel as someone who just passed the bar exam and will be sworn in as an attorney later this month?
Congrats on your accomplishment and major professional milestone!

Welcome to the pain. Hope you’re heading into a job that you like doing work you find meaningful. DM me anytime you feel angst about this not being the case. :)

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Useful tip - if you have agreed a release/waiver as part of the pass ts & cs whenever you see an on slope photographer instead of slutting it up hoping to look great immediately do some " bag of spanners" turns. Or alternately just flip the bird continuously.

If you see someone filming you are entitled to express your individuality by shouting a stream of profanities.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
How do you think I feel as someone who just passed the bar exam and will be sworn in as an attorney later this month?
Admire your tenacity and drive getting you law degree and passing the exam, am I correct in saying on the first try?. I have a daughter. also in Colorado, who did the same years ago so have some insight as to how much of an accomplishment your degree represents. Good going doesn't come close to being an adequate compliment. Good on you and your canine companion.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Congratulations!

Thank you!

Congrats on your accomplishment and major professional milestone!

Welcome to the pain. Hope you’re heading into a job that you like doing work you find meaningful. DM me anytime you feel angst about this not being the case. :)

Thank you! Fortunately, I started law school knowing exactly what and where I'd be practicing after. I've worked for my company for 13+ years and they helped to pay for the degree. I'll transition to in-house counsel starting on November 1 since I'll be sworn in on October 31. Eventually I plan to take on some pro bono work in areas near to my heart but I'm going to take some time to adjust first.

Admire your tenacity and drive getting you law degree and passing the exam, am I correct in saying on the first try?. I have a daughter. also in Colorado, who did the same years ago so have some insight as to how much of an accomplishment your degree represents. Good going doesn't come close to being an adequate compliment. Good on you and your canine companion.

Thank you! Yes, one and done thank goodness! Colorado is a UBE state but it has the second highest required score of 276 (Alaska has the highest at 280, some are as low as 260) and my score would allow me to be licensed in any UBE state with plenty of points to spare. Ginsburg and I are enjoying getting back into a normal life rhythm and back to better physical health.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just a few examples. We skied a lot so I didn’t really care about a refund. Companies should treat their customers better. It’s not complicated at all.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
My WiFi was out for most of the day Thursday. The tech listened to my situation, apologized for the inconvenience, made sure the issue was being resolved & thanked me for bringing it to his attention. Then without my asking he credited my bill.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Yo Momma

… and yeah, 10 years post-graduation, he still has student loans in the six digits. Still working on them, making better progress with the student loan interest freeze.
I knew that feeling for many years. I left VT for a 2 yr stint (~2000) at a relatively remote site in the DHHS Indian Health Service. I was a LCDR (think Worf on Star Trek Next Gen :) Commissioned Corps Officer which helped to completely pay off my student loans. Prior, while here in VT the student loan reimbursement offered for in-state dentists treating mostly Medicaid patients by AHEC (VT Area Health Education Center) was abysmal to the tune of $5k per year. While I appreciated the efforts by AHEC, the payoff dates were unacceptable to me. So my choices were to go into private practice (no Medicaid patients like most private dentists up here) or leave VT and work for DHHS and take advantage of their more generous prioritized remote-site, national reimbursement programs.

Those DHHS programs have changed as the demand for dentists diminished due to the I.H.S. receiving more applicants. They no longer reimburse at the same rates for the equivalent amount of time. Last I checked it was MUCH more competitive to get a position that qualifies for student loan reimbursement or you have to go SUPER remote like to the Navajo rez at Chinle, AZ.

Out of respect, I do not technically consider myself as "Military" but that is my status as designated by Uncle Sam. The Govt efficiently uses the IDme app for current status updates. I am able to buy Veterans/Military discounted season passes and lift tickets at many ski areas, participate in the Armed Forces Vacation Club w/ amazingly cheap deals, as well as lifetime free entry to all pay walled VT state parks (like Sandbar, Alburgh Dunes and Burton State Parks up in the Colchester area). It's the gift that keeps on giving... USAA, VGLI, VA home loans, etc... to which I have to say Thank You to all tax payers and to Uncle Sam. Setting up that dental clinic was an incredibly tough 2 yr stint but worth it. :beercheer:

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online