• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gotta love Surface Lifts!

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I HATE surface lifts.. lol I always feel like I'm bad at them, which sounds silly but it's true. I don't feel comfortable ever and always have a death grip on them whereas others seem much more relaxed. I learned to ski as an adult.. it's been 15 years now, but I have probably only been on a surface lift less than 15 times or some obscenely small number, and I just don't ever feel comfortable. This exact type of scenario always plays itself over in my head when going up. :roflmao:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Oh Boy. Andy showed me this yesterday but seeing it on the computer is much clearer.
Dang!

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
When I first started skiing, the "Jet" run at Jay Peak was actually the t-bar lift path. I knew that if I didn't stay upright, that's what would happen...maybe at a higher rate of speed. STH....

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There used to be a Poma at Pico Peak Vermont that was just ridiculously steep. I think death would be result of falling off of that thing.
Those super-steep Pomas are a literal pain in a particularly sensitive area. You haven’t lived until you’ve almost been lifted up by the crotch.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Like most Easterners, I get a shot at a surface lift about once every two or three years. Like @MissySki relates -- I never can relax on the things. Meanwhile, others are taking off backpacks, making / eating ham sandwiches, taking selfies, etc.

I was skiing with @Bob Barnes at Copper one time; they had (have?) a Poma that started out rather steeply. Bob and I get in line; family of four in front of us. One by one, all four of them bite it within the first 50 yards.

By this time the liftie is giving me a "holy mother of god, somebody please get this right" look. I wobbled a bit as I got yanked up that incline, but I held on. :thumb:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I rather like surface lifts. They don't have to close when it is windy. They eliminate certain folks from riding terrain they shouldn't. And, they deposit fewer skiers per hour making the slopes less crowded and safer.

I too hold on for dear life but it is worth it IMO.

Last edited:

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
After a failed attempt to load a T-bar with a newby companion, I turned to him and said, "I told you not to sit on the T-bar". He replied, without the slightest hint of irony, "How did you know?"

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
No surprise it was boarder that caused the mayhem. Same things happens at the Breck T-Bar and I love it cause you can see the disaster from below and it dissuades a lot of people from getting on it. Specially boarders :ogcool:

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dang, he did not miss anyone, it had to be on purpose. The first guy was a control slide, he aimed for him, then he pulled a nice no-look backhand trip with his right foot, then he only missed one person all the way down. I'm saving you guys some time with this analysis, you got to watch it bajillion times to see all this.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I dread certain old platter lifts (single rider with a little disc), where the spring in the mechanism is worn out. You grab it and don’t start moving at all, and know the slam that is coming. Anticipation somehow makes it worse.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
The incident happened at a small resort in Austria. The police managed to find him and charged him with leaving the scene of an accident and causing bodily injury through negligence. So far 13 skiers have been killed and over 100 seriously injured on Austria’s ski pistes this season.

scvaughn

Seeking altitude...
Skier
I'll admit that I fell off of the old Poma disc lift at Taos multiple times when I was first learning. Do I miss that lift? Not at all. :roflmao: