• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gotta love Surface Lifts!

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
It was always such a joy to have a kids lesson and get to ride t-bar with a 7 year old. That was always a bit tough on the thighs.
Preferred the spool system over the spring tubes too. When the spring tubes froze up you got to play 'catapult projectile'.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Poma that has caused me to wonder if I’m over them. At least the rope/reel ones. I think I still like the hollow pole ones.

Greppon Blanc 64 (a,b -both nearly the same)
Combatselline, 4Vallées, SUI
Freakin’ interminable. Must be nearly 15 minutes, a lot of it steep. (Heh, it’s prob 9min -going on forever) For some reason my feet have taken to hurting on it, and there’s no relief.

That ain't no Poma! The longer of the 2 lifts, Greppon Blanc 1, was built by Von Roll in 1976, and Greppon Blanc 2 was built by Doppelmayr in 2002. They probably used buttons instead of T-bars because of the steepness; the actual journey time for Greppon Blanc 2 is 7 min 30 sec, but as it’s a very uncomfortable ride, it feels a lot longer.

If you want to ride a true aficionado’s surface lift, you need to go to Belap, which is further up the Rhone valley. They have a surface lift that has 2 haul ropes, which allows it to make 2 changes of direction and is the last of its type.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I think in recent years they've been shooting for July 4 as closing day, but it's always a bit questionable that late in the season. I think that in the years I lived out there, there was always skiable snow at the Basin in early July, but having enough to run the poma is another question. Be aware that Red Lodge usually hosts a rodeo on the weekend closest to the fourth, and it's one of the two super-busy weekends in town (the other being the Harley rally). It may not affect skiing and hiking a lot, but if you were thinking about grabbing a bite to eat or a few drinks in town, that becomes a bit trickier.

If you enjoy redneck spectacle, though, it's a great time to visit.
I won't be out there until after the 4th. I'm due at Hood on the 14th. I am bringing touring gear for a run up Hood. Do the operators of Beartooth mind/permit people skinning when they aren't open?

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
That's a point in favor of spring tubes, no?
Only if you are the liftee.

The other surface lift I have not seen for a while is a 'mighty mite'. They could be interesting, but don't remember any that were too steep. Great arm stretchers though.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I won't be out there until after the 4th. I'm due at Hood on the 14th. I am bringing touring gear for a run up Hood. Do the operators of Beartooth mind/permit people skinning when they aren't open?
They do not mind, and if they happened to be there, they'd probably give you a thumbs up.

Booting is likely to be more efficient than skinning on just about anything still skiable on the pass in mid July.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I ain't scared.
20191210_113411.jpg