• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gravel Article

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
He opens with: ‘Is that your bike? It must be really slow.’ Needless to say the “conversation” was doomed to begin with. This guy needed to tell me everything and ask me nothing; he already hated gravel bikes and did not give a shit about the type of riding I was doing. So much for conversation with a fellow bike-loving traveler!

:roflmao::nono::roflmao::nono: Trying to win the Internet while not online, typical.

The icing on the cake of my bike is the drivetrain. I got my Hakka just before GRX debuted, so I scored with an XT derailleur paired to a big ole 11×46 cassette.

Wolftooth tanpan or Jtek Shiftmate? Inquiring nerdy minds...
:thumb:

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
You picked up in the bits I liked best... Like the guy who asks me which computer he should buy then tells me for fifteen minutes why I'm wrong... :roflmao:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
You picked up in the bits I liked best... Like the guy who asks me which computer he should buy then tells me for fifteen minutes why I'm wrong... :roflmao:

It was probably worse for her tho ... the person chatting might well have been french ;)

3 frenchpersons = 5 political parties, eh

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Killer article. Thanks for posting @scott43.

A route I'd love to do -- perhaps not in the middle of August.

Wolftooth tanpan

The tanpan is one of those things that looks like it will work poorly, and be prone to stiction and contamination, but...

It works flawlessly.

I believe @chris_the_wrench has had similar luck?

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
It was probably worse for her tho ... the person chatting might well have been french ;)

3 frenchpersons = 5 political parties, eh
And obviously a guy talking down to a woman.

That said, I once had a woman telling me that my bike could be a lot faster if I put skinny tires on! (That was a group ride in the lowest level of the club. It was a Sunday after I just finished a pretty long ride with lots of climbing on Saturday and in need of a recovery ride)

To be fair, every cycling enthusiast goes through that process. First, buying a first "good bike", loving it and wondering why everyone else isn't on the same or better. Then realizing the lightest bike can't beat a "well-tuned engine". Moreover, sometimes the weight of the bike isn't the be-all-end-all characteristic.

I try not to burst their bubble (of loving their first "good bike").

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Moreover, sometimes the weight of the bike isn't the be-all-end-all characteristic.

Sadly, this is understood by few, esp in the mtb world.

OTOH, don't get me started on 35 pound, Minion-clad, 160 mm travel chunderbeasts being pedaled along smooth green trails.....

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Sadly, this is understood by few, esp in the mtb world.
With respect, I would say that misunderstanding is far worse than in the MTB world.

At least with MTB, the suspensions makes a huge difference that just about everyone can tell within 15 yards of the trail head. Whilst for road/gravel, the "ride characteristic" is far more subtle...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
With respect, I would say that misunderstanding is far worse than in the MTB world.

At least with MTB, the suspensions makes a huge difference that just about everyone can tell within 15 yards of the trail head. Whilst for road/gravel, the "ride characteristic" is far more subtle...

Agreed. I wasn't very clear. Just meant to say that so many people put bicycle weight up on some pedestal above every other attribute.

Example: I recently raced a rugged 50 mile mtb race on my 24 pound (23?) Supercaliber. I would have been faster on my 26 pound Fuel EX.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Agreed. I wasn't very clear. Just meant to say that so many people put bicycle weight up on some pedestal above every other attribute.
What I observed in the MTB world, the opposite is more prevalent: I frequently see people riding full suspension bikes with long travel fork on trails I ride my gravel bike on!

Yes, within the same TYPE of bike, people are of course hyper-focus on weight. I'm more willing to forgive them. As most mountain bike trails do involve considerable climbing. The weight is felt in every feet of elevation gain. I've learned that lesson by way of many broken pieces of "light" components!

Sponsor