• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gravel Bike recommendation?

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
Looking to get a gravel bike, because N+1, but I know pretty minimal about gravel setups (I mtb and road bike extensively, but never tried gravel). I've found 4 bikes in my size available that I need some help choosing between. Don’t need fancy but still want a nice mid-range level of components. The gravel riding around here is mostly rolling loose fire road, sometimes connected by short stretches of tarmac. I’m smallish (5’4, bounce between 120-125lb), so doesn’t need to be burly. Want something that can take both 650 & 700 wheels. Pretty sure I want a 2x(?). Looking to choose from:

Cannondale Topstone Carbon 5
Norco Search XR C
Giant Revolt Advanced 2
3T Exploro Pro Grx 2x

Help? Advice? Other recommendations?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I'm not gravel guy generally...but I do like the Giant..it's more gravel-ee than the others..longer wheelbase, slacker angles. And it has the legit GRX group and relatively cheapish. The 3T is cool but spendy.
Paging @Ron and @cantunamunch ...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I love my Checkpoint. A bit of give in the back with the isospeed decoupler, and I have the front set up with a Redshift stem that does the same.

I don't know the bikes on your list, but I'd pick the shop first, then the bike.

And, of course, the one that is actually available!

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Looking to get a gravel bike, because N+1, but I know pretty minimal about gravel setups (I mtb and road bike extensively, but never tried gravel). I've found 4 bikes in my size available that I need some help choosing between. Don’t need fancy but still want a nice mid-range level of components. The gravel riding around here is mostly rolling loose fire road, sometimes connected by short stretches of tarmac. I’m smallish (5’4, bounce between 120-125lb), so doesn’t need to be burly. Want something that can take both 650 & 700 wheels. Pretty sure I want a 2x(?). Looking to choose from:

Cannondale Topstone Carbon 5
Norco Search XR C
Giant Revolt Advanced 2
3T Exploro Pro Grx 2x

Help? Advice? Other recommendations?
Steal of deal. Moots Demo Routt RSL, Gravel.(make sure you look at the Routt RSL and not the RSL.. Could we be more confusing? ). LOL. I'm sure you still have contacts there.

So the problem out there is that in order for manufacturers to put unnecessarily wide tires on gravel bikes of 45-50c (for class1-3 gravel, a 38-42 is the sweet spot) they have to go either a wide AXS setup or 1x's which is so much easier and cheaper for them. So, good luck finding 2x stock. You can modify a 1x to run a 2x. the problem with 1x's is the jump in teeth. for the vast majority of riding, its much like road riding unless you are riding on Fire Roads and single track, but then, a hardtail is probably better. I have a friend going through this now, he's a serious roadie riding about 3K miles per year and is flabbergasted at what is being pushed on the market.

Last edited:

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
a 52 should fit her depending on her geo, but its worth looking into. My friend is just about her size and fits on a 52. its the standard, throw away the Bar, stem, seat post and wheels so you have room to play with. To start with, a 70 stem is more likely appropriate.

It seems like the Giant Revolt is probably the most available bike out there!

Last edited:

scott43

Skier
You can modify a 1x to run a 2x. the problem with 1x's is the jump in teeth. for the vast majority of riding, its much like road riding unless you are riding on Fire Roads and single track, but then, a hardtail is probably better. I have a friend going through this now, he's a serious roadie riding about 3K miles per year and is flabbergasted at what is being pushed on the market.
This is a good point. Gear step in a 1x may be ok in MTB, but in road it can be a pain. Being between gears can really annoy roadies. Like I say, if all we had were 1x bikes and you invented the front der, they'd make a statue in your image! :ogbiggrin:

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I'm a cadence rider so until they tighten up the gear spacing (Campi's new 13 speed?), I will continue to ride a mix of AXS red/force (Force shifter and derailleurs, RED crank and cassette). With Force derailleurs you can run a 42 actual tire (with 6mm space) without any issues and AXS wide, will take a 45.

Last edited:
TS
babanff

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
Just to clarify, the reason for those 4 is that they are the ones I can get (ie in stock). All are spec’d 2x with GRX. We don’t have any LBS that stock bikes or have anything in stock, so I have to go online from other shops, it is what it is. Also I’m in Canada so can’t buy from US unless I want to get nailed with duties, which I don’t. No on the Moots, 52 is too large and no interest in spending that much on a gravel bike (esp when converted to CAD). Keeping it to less than $5k CAD, which all of the above listed are.

TS
babanff

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
And it has the legit GRX group and relatively cheapish.
What do you mean by legit GRX group set? All the ones I listed have virtually identical group sets... GRX 810 FD/RD, 600 shifters/levers, 400 brakes.. difference in builds is pretty much just wheels. I’m a little clueless on the GRX group but was thinking 800 level is sort of equivalent to Ultegra-level?

scott43

Skier
Sorry I meant specifically the Revolt. The lower model has Tiagra so worthwhile to go up in model to get GRX. But your price point is really going to be GRX regardless. I like the Kona too but it's 1x I believe.

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
I actually meant to add that to my list as well, found a Libre DL and looked nice!
Never overlook Kona. I know, I know... the Kona decal alone weighs and extra 5 lbs. But, Kona typically gets it right the first time, and their entire warranty department is smaller than your guest bedroom.
Seriously though, just buy the one that's going to be easy to fit. Giant and Norco both specialize in the two most important areas for you:
1. Compact geometry
2. Value

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
Steal of deal. Moots Demo Routt RSL, Gravel.(make sure you look at the Routt RSL and not the RSL.. Could we be more confusing? ). LOL. I'm sure you still have contacts there.

Yikes! That's a HUUUUGE 52! That's like, really, a 57.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Sorry I meant specifically the Revolt. The lower model has Tiagra so worthwhile to go up in model to get GRX. But your price point is really going to be GRX regardless. I like the Kona too but it's 1x I believe.

Depends which model you get I think. Last year's DL was 2x and I think this year is 1x, but the regular Libre CR has switched from 1x to 2x. They have great paint, btw.