• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gravel rides of 2021

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Someone tell me this; does your eye have to be able to focus on the mirror, or is the focal distance the distance to what is in the mirror?

I think distance to what is in the mirror (plus eye to mirror distance, which is neglibible, unless you're at the point of being rear-ended!).

I'll try and remember to ask my sister-in-law when we ski on Friday.

The family optometrist.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Someone tell me this; does your eye have to be able to focus on the mirror, or is the focal distance the distance to what is in the mirror?

there are 2 different mirrors, I like the compact but both work really well. it think the new design has a better field of vision when positioned sideways (long). if you go back to page 1, post 12, you can see the mirror attached to my sunglasses on the lookers right.

To answer your question, no, your eye will not need to adjust to whats in the mirror. there is about a 10 minute adjustment time the first time you use it, it will require some fiddling to get It positioned where it allows the best field of view depending on the position of your head when you ride but theres no re-focusing of your eye.

Last edited:
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Nice Easter Ride with my much better half. Temps are about 20* above the norm. Ski Mountain in the background.

82293D17-C87B-4617-A284-C859D772EACA_1_201_a.jpeg
B1FB0257-C864-453E-B7B2-A0A101DC7341_1_201_a.jpeg

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
^^^^ I think that goes under the MTN bike rides for 2021 section :).

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Had a nice jaunt on the Cambridge-Paris rail trail yesterday..dragging the lads..thank goodness it's flat!
German Woolen Mill on the Grand River..
GermanWoolenMill.jpg

River Boat Fantasy....
GrandRiverBoatCruise.jpg

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Nope. The downtube on the XTC is about 4" wide so not so bad for me. The lad might get a good spray on the Trail-a-bike though... :ogbiggrin: I did an MTB race once and got caught in some slop...that smelled like my old house...because it was at the bottom of a hill where there were a lot of cows on top...so I decided not to drink from that water bottle that day...girardia was the order of the day! Short story, I encourage fenders/splash deflectors of all kinds....

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
From what I've seen, most gravel bikes will accommodate a proper bolt-on fender set? It's kinda the best thing about gravel bikes in my book.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
From what I've seen, most gravel bikes will accommodate a proper bolt-on fender set? It's kinda the best thing about gravel bikes in my book.

The only way that would work on this frame is if I switch to 650b or to sub-35mm lugless tires.

Yes, there are eyelets I can use (they're rack eyelets but who cares) but I've wasted too many shop days trying to get a clean non-scrape fender line around the lugs of my 38s (never mind the 42s). And I have a heap of plastic from SKS, Crud Products and Planet Bike to prove it.

Haven't tried the premium aluminum route, because premium waste is still waste.

Sponsor

Staff online