• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gravel/Road Tires?

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Which G-One? All road? I've been running Tannus inserts, and they make the sidewall more rigid than the center. Weird steering but kick butt in mud as the contact patch goes concave like a railed ski.
I just ordered Tannus inserts and Panaracer Paselas for my gravel bike.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Making a tank?* :geek::ogbiggrin: I did a mud ride through some power company cuts and came home with several half-inch staples in the tread. Didn't even notice until one of them worked its way off and went through the sock into my foot.

*EDIT: just to be clear, Tannus make it easy to go overboard on the protection and destroy pavement compliance/pavement cornering feel. Gravel actually hides tire differences.

Last edited:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Making a tank?* :geek::ogbiggrin: I did a mud ride through some power company cuts and came home with several half-inch staples in the tread. Didn't even notice until one of them worked its way off and went through the sock into my foot.

*EDIT: just to be clear, Tannus make it easy to go overboard on the protection and destroy pavement compliance/pavement cornering feel. Gravel actually hides tire differences.
THat is one of my reasons for the Tannus/Pasela combo. Paselas get great marks for rolling resistance, poor for puncture resistance.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
THat is one of my reasons for the Tannus/Pasela combo. Paselas get great marks for rolling resistance, poor for puncture resistance.

You might yet be able to persuade me Cavas are worth my money.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
You might yet be able to persuade me Cavas are worth my money.

Oooh, I like those. Look perfect for the terrain around St Sadurni. A ride on cavas followed by some cava. I know a great little restaurant if it survives Covid . . .

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'll throw Specialized Roubaix Pro 30/32 into discussion...

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think Rene Herse are worth another look for tubeless (they are kind of the only Option for light, wide, supple, tubed clinchers), now that they have the Endurance and Endurance Plus Casings.
Besides better puncture resistance, they also would seem a lot more confidence inspiring for tubeless use.

I am hoping Challenge will come out with some of their fast tires in a wider sizes.

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
Am using 37ish WTB By Rollers for the commute and light gravel but despite not much profile they go surprisingly well on dirt. For the rough stuff I got a separate wheel set with WTB Resolutes in 42. Both tubeless.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Am using 37ish WTB By Rollers for the commute and light gravel but despite not much profile they go surprisingly well on dirt. For the rough stuff I got a separate wheel set with WTB Resolutes in 42. Both tubeless.

I am becoming strongly convinced that tread structure doesn't matter squat on gravel. On sand, sure. In mud, sure. On road, sure.

On gravel, the biggest reason to prefer one tread structure over another is how often you get one of the other three things happening.

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am becoming strongly convinced that tread structure doesn't matter squat on gravel. On sand, sure. In mud, sure. On road, sure.
On gravel, the biggest reason to prefer one tread structure over another is how often you get one of the other three things happening.

You have a point there.

Also as long as the mud or sand remains superficial I found the tire pressure to be a much bigger factor grip wise and in term of rolling resistance. I go as low as I can these days because I mix it up quite a bit.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Also as long as the mud or sand remains superficial I found the tire pressure to be a much bigger factor grip wise and in term of rolling resistance. I go as low as I can these days because I mix it up quite a bit.

You're doing tubeless, yes - have you played around with different inserts in up-the-sidewalls mud?

There is palpable effect there, especially on steering, and I've barely scratched the surface of what's happening.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
You're doing tubeless, yes - have you played around with different inserts in up-the-sidewalls mud?

There is palpable effect there, especially on steering, and I've barely scratched the surface of what's happening.
I've been using Tannus inserts on my gravel bike since January. There is a little bit of a "deadening" quality to the feel on pavement. A little bit like power steering. But it also deadens the jolts and bumps. Off road though the lower pressure is all good.

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier

You mean such inserts? No, I haven't and I'd think they would take away air volume for a more a supple ride. Definitely not looking back to the use of tubes except when puncture is too big for the sealant to mend.

On a 42 wide tire I go down to 2 bars in the front and 2.2 in the rear at my 165-170 lbs. The 37 width I run 0.2 bars higher. Really good on-trail experience so far and it didn't take away from the steering, but maybe I am not riding and cornering hard enough .....

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I've been using Tannus inserts on my gravel bike since January. There is a little bit of a "deadening" quality to the feel on pavement. A little bit like power steering. But it also deadens the jolts and bumps. Off road though the lower pressure is all good.

Yup. I absolutely hate them when climbing on pavement. They completely change the pneumatic trail. I also dislike the installation but that's a different story.

Descending, especially on steep gravel, they are sweet. And the mud performance is super weird - in a good way.

You mean such inserts? No, I haven't and I'd think they would take away air volume for a more a supple ride. Definitely not looking back to the use of tubes except when puncture is too big for the sealant to mend.

I have not used the Vittoria ones - yet - but Tannus and Cushcore yes. Yes, those would be included in what I mean.

FWIW, they are not at all like using tubes - more like switching a linear car shock to a multisegment progressive one.

On a 42 wide tire I go down to 2 bars in the front and 2.2 in the rear at my 165-170 lbs. The 37 width I run 0.2 bars higher. Really good on-trail experience so far and it didn't take away from the steering, but maybe I am not riding and cornering hard enough .....

With the Tannus, I am riding lower than that. 23psi/1.6 bar in front, 2 rear, WTB 37s under 220lbs. And weirdly, they steer better in mud because the sidewalls stay firm while the center section inverts. Almost like having dual rudder. Or a railed ski in deep powder.

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have not used the Vittoria ones - yet - but Tannus and Cushcore yes. Yes, those would be included in what I mean.
FWIW, they are not at all like using tubes - more like switching a linear car shock to a multisegment progressive one.

With the Tannus, I am riding lower than that. 23psi/1.6 bar in front, 2 rear, WTB 37s under 220lbs. And weirdly, they steer better in mud because the sidewalls stay firm while the center section inverts. Almost like having dual rudder. Or a railed ski in deep powder.

So did you set them up tubeless? Maybe when the tires are worn I'll try some but get along without quite nicely so far.

Regarding the pressure I am a bit concerned with the tire coming off the rim during hard cornering when dropping much lower than that. On the MTB I go down to 1.4 bars no problem though.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The Cushcore are required to be tubeless; as of last season the Tannus are available both ways - and I did that.

Yes, I messed about with cornering and pressure a lot when I got them - and I ran into plenty of front wheel squirm cornering on road.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
G-One All Road in 35-584 improved the pants off this Raleigh.
IMG_20210813_150151.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, with the caveats that I don't ride the road bike enough to go tubeless, and I'm limited to 32c max on the Emonda, I just sprung for some highly-regarded Rene Herse Stampede Pass tires:

Expensive. No team/previously fast guy deals. "My" shop says they are worth paying retail. I'll report back!

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Rene Herse tires are really nice. Formerly known by the Compass brand name, they're manufactured by Panaracer. The ride quality on their tires is exceptional, and they're becoming quite popular in the gravel riding community.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Rene Herse tires are really nice. Formerly known by the Compass brand name, they're manufactured by Panaracer. The ride quality on their tires is exceptional, and they're becoming quite popular in the gravel riding community.

That is great to hear. I had no idea they were made by Panaracer, but I have always been a fan of their tire quality.

When I started mtb riding back in the stone age, the Panaracer Smoke/Dart combo was without peer.

Sponsor

Staff online