• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gravel/Road Tires?

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
That is great to hear. I had no idea they were made by Panaracer, but I have always been a fan of their tire quality.

When I started mtb riding back in the stone age, the Panaracer Smoke/Dart combo was without peer.

I must have started before you. We had the Smoke/Smoke combo. Nothing like trying to control a rigid MTB with Canti brakes and 1.9's pumped to 50psi through rocks at speed.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I must have started before you. We had the Smoke/Smoke combo. Nothing like trying to control a rigid MTB with Canti brakes and 1.9's pumped to 50psi through rocks at speed.

You're right, it was Smoke or nothing to start. Then came the Dart. The 1.9s were silly, but we were convinced they were faster, right?!

1988 for me. Started on a Fuji Suncrest which got me my start as a frame/etc. breaker, and quickly moved on to a beloved GT Karakoram K2!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
<-put the leaf digging Mitas Long Ways back on.

IMG_20221112_101621.jpg

Oooh, I like those. Look perfect for the terrain around St Sadurni. A ride on cavas followed by some cava. I know a great little restaurant if it survives Covid . . .
Did it?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My fancy Rene Herse rear tire is about done, and I found it to be nothing terribly special.

I save my equipment obsessing for the mtb side of things.

For tubed road, is it still tough to beat the Schwalbe G One?

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
My fancy Rene Herse rear tire is about done, and I found it to be nothing terribly special.

I still find Panaracer Paselas hard to beat. Great bang for the buck.
I run 35's on my Ritchey Break-Away and that combo has seen a lot of CO dirt roads!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier

So I gave these a try. I liked them...fairly light, good TPI casing.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Thanks, those all look like great light-ish gravel tires, but I'm covered there.

Just need a pure pavement rear tire in the 30-32c zone.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
A lot of the cool kids around here use the Continental GP 5000 for their road training tire. Or the Grand Prix or UltraSport. I think I am running the UltraSport. I mean, it stops the rim from hitting the ground... :huh:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A lot of the cool kids around here use the Continental GP 5000 for their road training tire. Or the Grand Prix or UltraSport. I think I am running the UltraSport. I mean, it stops the rim from hitting the ground... :huh:

IME, that is highest marks for a Continental bike tire. Never had one that didn't bit me in the butt.

Yet, I love my Viking snow tires?!

DISCLAIMER: It's been a long, long time since I tried a Conti bike tire. Maybe it's time to give them a fifth chance! :ogbiggrin:

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Thanks, those all look like great light-ish gravel tires, but I'm covered there.

Just need a pure pavement rear tire in the 30-32c zone.
I am a big fan of the Continental 5000, i run them tubed at 25 mm on my rim brake road bike and have the 32 mm tubeless as my "road" wheels on my Gravel bike (which doubles as my winter road bike).

Sponsor

Staff online