• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Green appliances are back!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This may seem silly, but this kinda cracked me up.
When I was growing up, we had avocado green appliances. By my teens, my mom was hoping her fridge would die so she could get rid of it.
Now its back and at a premium price!

Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 8.36.47 AM.png

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Oh dear. This reminds me of 70's Grey Cup parties, smokes, stubby beer bottles and Keswick dinner jackets...

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Millenial focus group

- You know what would be really retro/vintage if we could have stuff in those 60s/70s colours like grandma did

White good industry

- Happy to obliige suckers (you'll hate it in 5 year time kerching!)

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I collect watches, and green has been the "hot" color for a couple of years... I wonder if color poularity spreads across multiple goods like that? Like is green getting popular for paint or carpet? Or phones and tablets? Or bikes or skis?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I wonder if color poularity spreads across multiple goods like that?

Yes. Ski magazine even once did a story on that. Want to see colors for next years cars? Look at the colors for disposable goods from the previous product cycle, very much including skis, ~4 years ago.

Mint, sage and olive green have been intensely popular for bikes for a few years now. Here's a 1978 Raleigh Super Grand Prix:

1617989034487.png

And here is spray.bike's current table of trending bike-specific paints.
1617988872787.png

And here is a much more expensive modern Chapman with a MUCH more expensive paint job but still well within that range of color ideas:

1617989351021.png

...and no, it's not just an 'intentionally retro' thing:

1617989519577.png

For a more modern trend, that's spread over multiple product areas, look at iridescent 'oil slick' and blue-purple-pink shades.

I think the next ones to look out for will be on the pastel brown - beige line, most specifically anything that fits the 'Flat Dark Earth' category.

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Looks like the enamel company ran out of pigment so they found some stuff in thw basement and sewer

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I collect watches, and green has been the "hot" color for a couple of years... I wonder if color poularity spreads across multiple goods like that? Like is green getting popular for paint or carpet? Or phones and tablets? Or bikes or skis?
It's funny but with interior design, green is always "in" because it's a neutral. The difference is that sometimes there are shades that become trendy and are best avoided because they are love/hate shades. It's always bad to try to sell a house with a love/hate shade. Appliances aren't as big a deal as they are easily replaced ... countertops or cabinets are a different story.

At one time, I really wanted the bright red washers and dryers. Then I priced them and they cost $500 more each than the exact same units in white. I'm way to cheap to waste my money that way. Now ski gear and clothing? Well, those are completely acceptable expenses.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Lots of cars in that matt primer grey selling in the UK - particularly hotter Ford Focuses and VAG saloons/wagons.

Sponsor

Staff online