• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Green appliances are back!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
63474847_IMG9934.jpg
That's one, and it is a classic. Thanks

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Other than the likelihood that these will look horribly dated in a few years, what happens if one of your appliances needs to be replaced and the color has been discontinued?
Sorry....maybe.

We had the compressor go out on our refrigerator with an estimate of 989.00. We figured we're replace our refrigerator for less than that, so we went shopping and found out that the fridge that came with the house is pretty nice and replacing it would be closer to 3,000.00. We had ours fixed. this was a few years ago. Since then we've had to do a few more repairs on it. Just wondering when we'll need (really need) to replace it.

It is a 20 year old fridge, but then our parents had a refrigerator for 40+ years. Things are made with tons of features but not neccessarily more reliable.
Appliances definitely don't last as long as they used to. 5-7 years is about average with most things these days.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Other than the likelihood that these will look horribly dated in a few years, what happens if one of your appliances needs to be replaced and the color has been discontinued?

You probably wouldn't see all matching appliances in such a kitchen; if so, it's a design faux pas. For instance, the refrigerator very likely has a custom panel that matches the cabinetry; same with dishwasher. Or just replace with stainless, or the fancy industrial glass front fridges ... etc. That's why the amount of stainless is nice, it blends with all the other stainless appliances. The range is kinda like the centerpiece, so it stands out. Although the KA range is really nothing like a centerpiece AGA...

KitchenAid-Commercial-Range_Avocado-Cream.jpg

kitchen-interior-picture-id173038942

traditional-kitchen.jpg

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Semi-related, on the retro topic, until 5 years ago, my family had and was regularly using a tulip dining table set from whenever they were in style the first time around. It was white, though, so only the style was dated or mod, depending on your viewpoint!

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW this a small microwave I bought for my office. I like it.
2A242CFD-C7E7-458D-9D64-41FD6BB60666.jpeg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Appliances definitely don't last as long as they used to. 5-7 years is about average with most things these days.

Use vinyl dip and change it every 6 months :)

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
And it's usually the damn electronics, the stuff normal tinkerers can't fix anymore. What brand is your fridge?
GE Profile

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
And it's usually the damn electronics, the stuff normal tinkerers can't fix anymore. What brand is your fridge?

Insulation foaming technology has had huge advances in the past decade. My reasons to shop for a fridge? Thinner fridge walls, lower compressor ratings, lower duty cycle.

Uncle-A

Skier
Insulation foaming technology has had huge advances in the past decade. My reasons to shop for a fridge? Thinner fridge walls, lower compressor ratings, lower duty cycle.
Does it make the fridge last longer?

scott43

Skier
Still running but not very cost efficient I bet.
Well, yes and no... It's probably not very energy efficient..but through a quirk of the Ontario power system, we pay a fixed very low rate for electricity. So from a cost point of view, it dun matter!! :ogbiggrin:

Uncle-A

Skier
Heh... The beer fridge from 1958 is still running well at the cottage... :)
Wait, a beer fridge from 1958 would be about 63 years old and your @scott43 and by now you are probably a few years older than 43 but not close to 63. It must have already been old when you were in college.

scott43

Skier
My grandfather actually bought it for the cottage that became our house. It came with us to the city but the house we moved to already had a fridge..so it became a beer fridge. It then moved to the retirement house for my folks which became the new cottage and it's still running in the garage up there all these years later. It's practically silent but yeah..it's probably not very energy efficient! Still has my bicycle safety sticker on it from like 1977...I believe it came in a box of Sugar Crisp....

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Does it make the fridge last longer?

Yes. Because all fridges should be using HFC-152 or better, and there's rationing and reporting for all the other coolants.

Which is what I first thought the thread was going to be about.

In a "We're all for reducing 'toxic' fluoros in ski wax, but what about every outgassing fridge coolant loop seal ever?" way.

Sponsor

Staff online