• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Greetings from Taos

scvaughn

Seeking altitude...
Skier
Hello everyone! I feel privileged to call Taos home, and look forward to contributing here. I learned to ski at TSV in 1984, and kept coming back until I couldn't stay away. In the off season, I hike and climb every chance I get, and love being near some of the best the Sangres have to offer.

TS
scvaughn

scvaughn

Seeking altitude...
Skier
Welcome! I'm sure that most of the people on here are deeply jealous...
Taos is so lovely.
Thank you! Sometimes being here doesn't seem real, like a dream from which I'll eventually awaken. I had to turn my life upside down to make it happen, but I have no regrets.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome @scvaughn !

You might want to note that there's a Taos Gathering pretty much yearly... the 2023 thread is here:

C'mon out and join us!

TS
scvaughn

scvaughn

Seeking altitude...
Skier
Welcome @scvaughn !

You might want to note that there's a Taos Gathering pretty much yearly... the 2023 thread is here:

C'mon out and join us!
Thanks! I'll put it on my calendar. February is usually a great time to ski here.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Perhaps you've bumped into the Grumps at Taos?
@KingGrump to the white courtesy phone.

TS
scvaughn

scvaughn

Seeking altitude...
Skier
Well it's still there... they just moved it to a nearby wall, so you kind of have to find it now. (Unless something has changed since last season...)
Yes, that is accurate. It used to be front and center when you looked at Al's from the base village.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The "Don't Panic" sign used to be located below the embankment to chair #5. They took it down when chair #5 was demolished.
They then refurbished the sign and mounted it on the side of Snake Dance. It is no longer there.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
They then refurbished the sign and mounted it on the side of Snake Dance. It is no longer there.
No longer on the Snake Dance either? That sucks. I could swear it was still there last season... but maybe that was the prior Gathering I'm remembering.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Well it's still there... they just moved it to a nearby wall, so you kind of have to find it now. (Unless something has changed since last season...)
Now they got warning signs front and center...I found these on the internet, but I though I remember seeing a sign that read something like "First Time Skier? Do not take this lift, take Pioneer or Zipper".

TSV Wanring.JPG

TS
scvaughn

scvaughn

Seeking altitude...
Skier
Now they got warning signs front and center...I found these on the internet, but I though I remember seeing a sign that read something like "First Time Skier? Do not take this lift, take Pioneer or Zipper".

View attachment 176833

Now I get a grin when I see signs like these, but I also remember how scary some of the runs looked when I was just starting to ski. Many of them still give me pause, especially on the West Basin Ridge. Taos is the real deal.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
No longer on the Snake Dance either? That sucks. I could swear it was still there last season... but maybe that was the prior Gathering I'm remembering.

They open up that wall couple seasons back. The sign disappeared in the renovation.

Current cam view of the Snake Dance wall.

1661896025075.png

TS
scvaughn

scvaughn

Seeking altitude...
Skier
Speaking of things changing at Taos, I propose a moment of silence for the Hotel St. Bernard. It is not long for this world.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
They open up that wall couple seasons back. The sign disappeared in the renovation.

Current cam view of the Snake Dance wall.

View attachment 176838
That sign was on the wall facing Taos Sports/The Blake as of 2020, you cannot see it from this camera view. It was still there at the end of this past season.

Sponsor

Staff online