• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

GripWalk boots

RUBBERDUCK

Booting up
Skier
I am looking to replace my Technica Cochise ski boots. I noticed that all of the new boots seem to come installed with Grip Walk soles. Do these soles come off to fit regular alpine bindings? I have many pairs of skis, most of them with Marker Griffons. I am looking to buy a pair of K2 Revolver boots (similar to the old Dalbellos) - any thoughts on those? I mostly ski out West. I usually use my Shaggys Ahmeek 105s, K2 Pinnacle 88s, and on ice I use my Shaggys Brockway 80s.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Most boots that come with GW soles have a replacement sole if you don'thave a GW compatible binding, however, I'd check to see if your Griffons are GW.

As for recommendations on the boots.....I haven't seen your feet. Your fitter will have a good idea what should fit your foot.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I am looking to replace my Technica Cochise ski boots. I noticed that all of the new boots seem to come installed with Grip Walk soles. Do these soles come off to fit regular alpine bindings? I have many pairs of skis, most of them with Marker Griffons. I am looking to buy a pair of K2 Revolver boots (similar to the old Dalbellos) - any thoughts on those? I mostly ski out West. I usually use my Shaggys Ahmeek 105s, K2 Pinnacle 88s, and on ice I use my Shaggys Brockway 80s.

Depends on the bindings, all my Marker Griffons are newer than 5 years old and are GW compatible (says so on the toe piece) but there are some out there that are not.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I kinda had the same issue. I never realized what GW boots were either. I ended up buying 2 pairs of boots to demo. It turns out that 1 had GW and the other didn't. I liked one a little better and it was GW. I have about 2 newer pairs of skis that are GW and 5 pairs that are not. I don't plan on replacing the older pair for a few more years so I might keep both pair of boots. 1 pair to handle the older skis and the other to handle the 2 pairs of skis plus any newer pairs that I buy

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
GW's are great. They sure make the long walks from the parking lot to the lifts much easier. Pivots, Griffons and Shifts all accomodate them these days.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I got a new pair of Tecnica Cochise in February. They came with gripwalks and the shop gave me a pair of non gripwalk soles as well.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I kinda had the same issue. I never realized what GW boots were either. I ended up buying 2 pairs of boots to demo. It turns out that 1 had GW and the other didn't. I liked one a little better and it was GW. I have about 2 newer pairs of skis that are GW and 5 pairs that are not. I don't plan on replacing the older pair for a few more years so I might keep both pair of boots. 1 pair to handle the older skis and the other to handle the 2 pairs of skis plus any newer pairs that I buy
Swap the GW for DIN soles and you only need the 1 pair of boots...

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Swap the GW for DIN soles and you only need the 1 pair of boots...
I thought about it but laziness won out and I'm keeping both pairs of boots. Each pair was only 200 plus tax so I figured 2 for 450 was a pretty good deal

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I thought about it but laziness won out and I'm keeping both pairs of boots. Each pair was only 200 plus tax so I figured 2 for 450 was a pretty good deal
That's a great dwal! But specific boots with specific skis would drive me nuts especially when traveling.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
That's a great dwal! But specific boots with specific skis would drive me nuts especially when traveling.
Not a big deal for me. I have 5 skis not GW and 3 with GW so as long as I bring the correct boots with the skis I choose to bring with me to my destination then I'm good

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
I miss regular alpine soles, GW boots don't boot ski very well.
What boots are you comparing? The same exact boot, set up one time with ISO 5355 soles and then with GripWalk ISO 23223? Because in that comparison, there should not be any difference between them while skiing. The same boot, in the same binding, will have the same ramp angle, forward lean, and AFD contact between 5355 and 23223.

If you are comparing two different boots where one has 5355 (especially a solid sole) and a different boot that has 23223, then there are too many variables at play to blame GripWalk. You need to run the experiment with the same boot, just swapping out soles. And if the brand has made things correctly, then there shouldn't be any difference while skiing.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
What boots are you comparing? The same exact boot, set up one time with ISO 5355 soles and then with GripWalk ISO 23223? Because in that comparison, there should not be any difference between them while skiing. The same boot, in the same binding, will have the same ramp angle, forward lean, and AFD contact between 5355 and 23223.

If you are comparing two different boots where one has 5355 (especially a solid sole) and a different boot that has 23223, then there are too many variables at play to blame GripWalk. You need to run the experiment with the same boot, just swapping out soles. And if the brand has made things correctly, then there shouldn't be any difference while skiing.
Very well thought out answer but think the poster was teasing that the normal alpine boot soles are less grippy so easier to “ski” on the boots alone in the snow Vs the GW that won’t allow ski-less sliding. Haha

A low or unadjusted AFD Vs the properly raised and adjusted AFD with either boot sole is the only time you will see a difference in ramp angle and lean. Once the GW capable bindings AFD is set properly(if it’s adjustable) you shouldn’t notice a difference between the GW and traditional Alpine soles when skiing. That’s kinda the whole point of Gripwalk!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I think it's silly that they are changing boot soles across the board for a few newbies that aren't used to walking from the car in a DIN boot.
Agreed and I still use traditional Alpine soles still myself.

At least the GW design is clever enough to hit the GW binding AFD at the same spot and height as the Alpine sole. It could be way worse with a new adopted standard that had to be re-adjusted for every time you put the different sole type in aka-WTR.

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Very well thought out answer but think the poster was teasing that the normal alpine boot soles are less grippy so easier to “ski” on the boots alone in the snow Vs the GW that won’t allow ski-less sliding. Haha
Ahhhhhh my brain totally misread his post. Yeah, for boot skiing, GW is a fail haha.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Insist the retailer swaps you out for a DIN / ISO sole if they want your purchase. Maybe buy the GW soles too for future compatibility.
good luck with that.... all well and good in principle but ISO 5355 soles are already scarce items for a lot of boots, we had 20 pairs ordered for one brand and were told they hadn't produced any this year, but due to demand they are considering doing some:huh:

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think it's silly that they are changing boot soles across the board for a few newbies that aren't used to walking from the car in a DIN boot.

I think it would be silly that a new technology benefiting many skiers would be rejected just because racers want DIN soles and bindings (which remain available anyway).

Obviously there are plenty more skiers in addition to racers who have a preference for the DIN interface, but the above statement doesn't feel any more ridiculous than characterizing the reason for GW existing as newbies needing a better solution for car parks. The inability of people to imagine the utility of a technology beyond their own use case never ceases to amaze me.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
good luck with that.... all well and good in principle but ISO 5355 soles are already scarce items for a lot of boots, we had 20 pairs ordered for one brand and were told they hadn't produced any this year, but due to demand they are considering doing some:huh:
oh dear that's not good. Are people at the brands so out of touch with leisure skiing that they fail to realise that there are lots of people skiing round on still indemnified pre GW bindings (both the casual skier who only has one pair of skis bought some time ago and the quiverholic)? Or are they just sufficiently cynically that they are counting on a binding sale with every boot sale?