• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

GripWalk Soles ... worth it?

TS
jo3st3

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
Wow.. this must be a hot topic. Thanks for all the replies.

I was asking while contemplating a swapping out the RX for the XT3, which is only $50 more. Also was considering the option of just buying the GripWalk soles themselves.

Cat Tracks look like an interesting option to save the boots from those long parking lot walks and slippery stairs to the bathrooms that are always downstairs, but do I want to haul those around in my jacket?

In the end, I have one pair of skis with GW bindings, and one without. And yes, it's really just for walking around the resorts and parking lots, especially this year.
I have yet to fall with regular ol' soles so :beercheer:

TS
jo3st3

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
I was talking to someone today that really loves the gripwalk soles. Especially with the walks from the parking lot given lodges are mostly closed this year, plus the security while walking. It interesting that more boots are including these as standard.

The upgrade to existing boots is usually around $50.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was talking to someone today that really loves the gripwalk soles. Especially with the walks from the parking lot given lodges are mostly closed this year, plus the security while walking. It interesting that more boots are including these as standard.

The upgrade to existing boots is usually around $50.
I think pretty soon we will see Gripwalk being the standard sole with the traditional flat DIN sole being the exception. Traditional lugs will still be the norm on race specific boots for years to come.

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
In general, I would say yes with the caveat that not all GW soles are made of the same material nor do they have the same tread pattern. It's just like choosing tires for your mtn bike- lots of different options out there and they all don't do the job equally well.

If you look at what comes on a Hawx Ultra XTD or Prime XTD, you will get a GW sole with lots of deeply defined tread with carefully thought out grooves for shedding snow and braking surfaces while walking. But, if you look at what comes on some other notable boots, they have the same rockered profile but the tread pattern doesn't look all that much different from a regular ISO 5355. You won't see a big difference with those.
So this is actually words to Remember, since I have this exact experience. I got the Dalbello Panterra 130 ID a couple of years ago, and they have an pretty good sole out of the box when it comes to grip, but since all my bindings are GW compatible I got GW soles. It turns out the original sole was better om ice etc, so I gained nothing. There is a big difference between different soles, so factor that in :)

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Does anybody know if there is any difference in the interface with the binding? Do the traditional sole (ISO?) give a better interface, or is the same?

In terms of fitting in the binding, it's the same.

In terms of actual interaction with the binding, it's the same as a dual component (soft & hard) ISO 5355 sole.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
In terms of fitting in the binding, it's the same.

In terms of actual interaction with the binding, it's the same as a dual component (soft & hard) ISO 5355 sole.

I'm not sure this is universally true. On some Gripwalk soles the AFD is narrower and more forward than ISO 5355. The ones like this pair better with Markers than some Salomons where the AFD is further back. Which somewhere I read recently on here, further aft AFDs promote better heel retention and ski performance. But I can't find that quote right now.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm not sure this is universally true. On some Gripwalk soles the AFD is narrower and more forward than ISO 5355. The ones like this pair better with Markers than some Salomons where the AFD is further back. Which somewhere I read recently on here, further aft AFDs promote better heel retention and ski performance. But I can't find that quote right now.
Yes, we saw some of the earlier Roxa GW soles come in very inconstant in positioning and were not compatible with all bindings. IIRC, the biggest issue with with Tyrolia Attack GW bindings. I do beleive that this was addressed.

snoroqc

Getting on the lift
Skier
I bought a new ski boot with GW sole. Head kore 1. Own a ski with Duke bindings and a pair with PX12 binding.
I'm in the market for a new ski.
I have to replace my PX12 ! It's only couple years old. I found a alpine sole on ebay.. Will replace the sole instead of my bindinds...
I hope than ski will not follow the mountain bike problem: lack of 'standard' in the industry.

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer

Let me rephrase- the toe AFD of ISO 5355 and toe AFD of GripWalk will of course be different sizes/locations, but both pad AFDs engage the binding AFD and that's why GripWalk and dual component ISO 5355 will ski the same. The dimensions of the latest GripWalk iterations are much more refined and settled, so you shouldn't be seeing binding AFDs and boot AFDs not lining up correctly.

Sponsor

Staff online