• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

gs skis but not for racing, what's on the market? and what would you buy?

cloudymind

Booting up
Skier
hi everyone
i'm an amateur skier, not a pro nor talented but have some experience and took many lessons. i like to ski on piste in resorts around northern italy, swiss or france when possible.
i tried many different models from rentals, years ago i bought a pair of elan racecarve. good skis but not 100% what i needed.
i finally tested a pair of head gs rd and i liked them alot, i traded my elans and got 2 pairs of the gs-rd: 25 meter and 27 meters. i especially like the former ones, the latter are a bit harder for my level.

but now my beloved 25 meters are at their last season and i'm looking what models are on the market. maybe should buy the new head in 23m length? or try something "shorter" as everyone uses today?
in the past i rented some dynastar gs 18 meter and i liked them but not as much as the head gs. actually they are the "must have" ski so maybe it's worth to give another try. here the most successful model from head is the speed but it definitively lacks the grip on ice that you feel with gs. elan has the 21 meters gsx and atomic has the g9 but i red mixed opinions about them.

especially i still don't know if i really want a jack of all trade because i tested a fischer ct and head e race that are 15m and i don't like them, so i'm a bit skeptical about modern 18 meters skis.
i probably prefer to buy a proper gs and then rent something more SL style 12-13 meters radius twice per year.

i have the elan gs in standard version NOT the pro, i like the stability at speed and the versatility. i also like the fact that they need a bit of effort to start and close the turn but i don't race them

thanks

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If you want a proper 24-26 meter GS ski then look at so-called "tweener" GS skis for teenage and masters racers. They tend to come in more friendly lengths (180-186cm) and have more forgiving flex patterns than the full-octane FIS GS skis.

All of the major ski brands with racing focus have skis like this: Atomic, Dynastar, Fischer, Head, Rossignol, Stöckli, Völkl, et al. Keep an eye out and you'll find them, but act now before all of the racers snap them up. Note that most have plates pre-drilled for the approved brand's binding so you'll have to find those as well. Will this be cheap? Likely not. But they'll be fun skis that fit the niche that your Head GS-RD has filled to this point.

Most of the 18 meter stuff is the consumer grade GS skis that are aimed at folks who occasionally dabble in gates (e.g. NASTAR here in the U.S. or the GS courses set up at some European resorts for the public to try) but otherwise want a racing-inspired ski that can carve well on groomed snow but won't punish technical faults.

Good luck!

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
hi everyone
i'm an amateur skier, not a pro nor talented but have some experience and took many lessons. i like to ski on piste in resorts around northern italy, swiss or france when possible.
i tried many different models from rentals, years ago i bought a pair of elan racecarve. good skis but not 100% what i needed.
i finally tested a pair of head gs rd and i liked them alot, i traded my elans and got 2 pairs of the gs-rd: 25 meter and 27 meters. i especially like the former ones, the latter are a bit harder for my level.

but now my beloved 25 meters are at their last season and i'm looking what models are on the market. maybe should buy the new head in 23m length? or try something "shorter" as everyone uses today?
in the past i rented some dynastar gs 18 meter and i liked them but not as much as the head gs. actually they are the "must have" ski so maybe it's worth to give another try. here the most successful model from head is the speed but it definitively lacks the grip on ice that you feel with gs. elan has the 21 meters gsx and atomic has the g9 but i red mixed opinions about them.

especially i still don't know if i really want a jack of all trade because i tested a fischer ct and head e race that are 15m and i don't like them, so i'm a bit skeptical about modern 18 meters skis.
i probably prefer to buy a proper gs and then rent something more SL style 12-13 meters radius twice per year.

i have the elan gs in standard version NOT the pro, i like the stability at speed and the versatility. i also like the fact that they need a bit of effort to start and close the turn but i don't race them

thanks

In short, I'd just stick to what I know and love in your case. Just buy a new pair of Heads. No matter how many other skis/brands will be discussed, the Heads will always be up there with the best so save yourself time and trouble and buy a new pair.
BTW I also own Rebels eGS RD Pro master in 27m-brilliant ski.

TS
C

cloudymind

Booting up
Skier
yes i saw discussions about "tweener gs" i don't really know if my regular RD can be considered one of those. i suppose the PRO are.

from infos on-line it looks like the models from atomic and dynastar/rossi are a bit harder than their masters, so the impression is that my heads are more similar to masters with a longer radius than to proper racing gs. and i still don't use 100%.

i don't find the model from volkl, i remember the p9 i rented in the past were nice skis.
as tony said probably best thing to do is stick with head gs and maybe try the 23 since i already have the 27. i see stockli has "fis" in 22meters but here in europe they costs like 2x the other makes
just curious to try the elan gsx and atomic x9.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
GS skis are super confusing, lots of discussion on this in other threads. Nicely summarised in the post by @Rudi Riet here.

As to whether it says FIS on it or not, the 188 or 193 lengths at 30m radius are world cup spec, yet tweener skis may also have FIS written on them, as they meet the criteria for U16, etc. Yet not all tweeners have a big FIS written on them. I'm on a tweener ski and am in no way overpowering it, G9 187/26m.

i see stockli has "fis" in 22meters but here in europe they costs like 2x the other makes
That is also the case across the known universe ;)

just curious to try the elan gsx and atomic x9.
The X9 is not a GS but rather a sport carver, like the skis you said were not what you were looking for.

JPL

JPL
Skier
I would recommend the Fischer WC RC in a 180cm thats a 19m ski, you can't go wrong with that or an equivalent from another brand.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
For non FIS 30m GS, there are really three options:

--the 68+mm wide 18-20m sport carvers like the Atomic G9, Blizzard WRC, Head e.Speed Pro, Nordica GSR, Rossi Hero Elite LT, Stockli Laser GS, etc...

--Shorter radius 20-23m or so Masters skis with a width of 65-69mm like the Atomic 183/24m, Augment/Van Deer 185/25m, Dynastar Rossi 182/25m, Head 183/25m, Nordica 183/23m, etc...

--Longer radius 25-27m Junior and Masters GS skis with a width of 65mm, like the Atomic 187/26m, Augment/Van Deer 183/25, Dynastar Rossi 185/27m, Head 186/25m, Nordica 188/25m, Stockli 184/25.5.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

--the 68+mm wide 18-20m sport carvers like the Atomic G9, Blizzard WRC, Head e.Speed Pro, Nordica GSR, Rossi Hero Elite LT, Stockli Laser GS, etc...

--Shorter radius 20-23m or so Masters skis with a width of 65-69mm like the Atomic 183/24m, Augment/Van Deer 185/25m, Dynastar Rossi 182/25m, Head 183/25m, Nordica 183/23m, etc...

--Longer radius 25-27m Junior and Masters GS skis with a width of 65mm, like the Atomic 187/26m, Augment/Van Deer 183/25, Dynastar Rossi 185/27m, Head 186/25m, Nordica 188/25m, Stockli 184/25.5.

You see @cloudymind , this is what I meant. DocGKR knows what up and as I said, the Heads will always be in the mix.
You struck oil, no need for further drilling.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Probably a shorter radius than you would consider at 18ish in a 178cm but I thought the Kastle RX11 was a blast on early morning groomers. TBH, I don't have any true GS skis to compare to but it felt plenty strong, smooth, and connected to the snow. Another option would be the RX12GS with a longer radius.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive

Just a note that for Atomic, everything from the sport carver to the 30m world cup ski is called G9 something, so you have to check the specs. May also apply to other brands (similar model name across the range, such as Rossi Hero something)

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
so i'm a bit skeptical about modern 18 meters skis.
The ones I've tested in recent years were very flappy and plasticy in feel and didn't have the grip of the old Rossignol GS9 from around 2013/14. The new ones are much lighter. Exception: the 21-metre Hero, those things had decent grip, but don't know what the new ones are like, only tested the old black ones.
My guess is that if you're coming off a 25-metre ski with the more substantial core to match, you'll be disappointed with today's 18-metre offerings.

James

Out There
Instructor
That black rossi masters, 180/21m, 185/25m, 70mm wide, would make a great general ski if it didn’t have that stupid plow tip. But you know, we need one ski for every activity apparently.

In general, flex is as or more important than sidecut. It’s the marriage that's important. Don’t shy away from 23m just because of the number. Could be more friendly than the old 21m standard gs from some years ago. Depends.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
not at all close to a real GS ski [,,,] in [...] hard snow grip capability....
That's my experience of such skis in recent years, That said, the Jam Session and Enjoyski coaches seem to get on just fine with Head's yellow 18-ish and Nordica's 17-ish skis, so it might be harsh to pan the whole category outright.
I can't really work who they're aimed at though.

Last edited:

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
That black rossi masters, 180/21m, 185/25m, 70mm wide, would make a great general ski if it didn’t have that stupid plow tip
Where do you find the tip a hindrance?
23 at 185 weren't they?
Anyone tried the new version?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Where do you find the tip a hindrance?
23 at 185 weren't they?
Anyone tried the new version?

They should be the same as the old version with different topsheets. The Hero Masters I mean. I have the 179/19 ones and like them quite a bit.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Tricia
    The Velvet Hammer
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January