• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

gs skis but not for racing, what's on the market? and what would you buy?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
The atomics feel lighter under foot. Not quite as powerful, but for a lighter or finesse skier, they'd be a great choice. All of these are really good skis!

Awalkspoiled

Putting on skis
Skier
My old SGs (first generation Kastle SG 208) were one of the first skis to come with a factory 0.5 base bevel. I still ski them occasionally, and yes, every modern ski is easier to ski. BTW, mine were not light. They had three layers of steel in them, along with wood and rubber (later years went to SG "light" :P with some kind of magnesium alloy).
That White/Red Castle SG is my favorite ski ever. Had essentially no speed limit and stayed smooth through everything (partly by just bashing everything out of the way.) I had 212s and 208s but on both the shovels eventually bent up - probably too much bashing through rolling terrain on what what basically an aluminum ski. Sure, any decent current 183 would outrun them in every circumstance, but few offer that same sense of invincibility.

Peakviper

Booting up
Skier
I have had fun on my 2018 Volkl Racetiger GSR 178cm/23m/65mm “tweeners” for carving fast GS turns on empty weekday groomers. Compared to my old Volkl P60 race room (2004 (190/>21m, actual 26m) the 178s are much easier to initiate turns and to get early edge angle and I can link GS turns at 30-35 mph speed on groomed blue to black runs with fewer stivots needed for speed control. The P60s have greater ultimate edge hold but in comparison they feel like SuperG skis and I spend too much time throwing them sideways on steep groomers.
Shortcoming of the 178s: they feel a bit noodley for my 6’2” 210 lb, and after 60 days on them in fairly aggressive “recreational GS” mode, the right ski (my dominant side) has gained some tip rocker. (Or maybe I bent it when I released in an icy hole?) They are still skiable and fun—I only notice the right tip fluttering a bit on flats. But I couldn’t resist adding a pair of 2019 Racetiger GSR in 183/25m to my quiver this year. They are stiffer (and thicker) than the 178s so I hope to have found the sweet spot. I will report on them after Bogus opens.I’m very happy with the 2019-20 183cm RacetIger GSR after
I am very happy with the 2019-2020 183cm 25m Racetiger GSR, after five days ripping GS turns on groomed snow on my regular training slope. The 183s feel better suited to my weight than the 178cm 23m GSR. Early turn initiation feels equivalently good. Edge angles and turn radius are comparable to the 178cm. Biggest differences: the 183 have a more secure feeling through the arc, and they are not quite as light and nimble at slow speeds as the 178— not surprising since the 183 are stiffer and a bit longer radius sidecut. I will confirm the differences with back to back runs when I mount bindings on the 178s. Overall, these ”tweener” Racetiger GS have met my needs (ripping GS turns on the groomed, no gates) very well. I have spent around $600 for two pairs and enjoy them both.

TS
C

cloudymind

Booting up
Skier
this last week i rented a few skis and was able to test 2 of them in the various conditions
rossignol react R8 177 14m
i was curious to compare with fischer ct (i did only 1 short run on CT so not really tested). it should be a modern mid-level RC, maybe comparable to the atomic x9 ? i really wanted to like it as a complement to a proper GS but i couldn't. i had to be 100% careful to push on the tips to find grip on hard snow. they didn't like to drift even if it was always easy to unlock the tails when they did catch. on ice there was simply not enough grip and was not precise at speeds. didn't like even on moguls.
all in all i would like to know how should i ski this modern style... am i supposed to spend all day carving at 20 mph on soft snow? to me the fischer seemed better on longer turn. don't know...
are they supposed to be de tuned SLs?

rossignol hero elite LT 177 18m
they are considered "cool stuff" and not easy to rent. they are called long turns but to me are very agile and can turn on a dime. i liked them alot, they are very easy to ski and made me look a better skier than i am. compared to the head gs they lack a bit o grip on hard snow and at higher speeds and maybe a bit of precision to the inputs.
i would say a really enjoyable everyday ski, could be the famous complement to a proper GS. but i still prefer the response of my heads. it may sounds strange but i feel like a ski like the rossi hero could actually slow the learning curve.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
this last week i rented a few skis and was able to test 2 of them in the various conditions
rossignol react R8 177 14m
i was curious to compare with fischer ct (i did only 1 short run on CT so not really tested). it should be a modern mid-level RC, maybe comparable to the atomic x9 ? i really wanted to like it as a complement to a proper GS but i couldn't. i had to be 100% careful to push on the tips to find grip on hard snow. they didn't like to drift even if it was always easy to unlock the tails when they did catch. on ice there was simply not enough grip and was not precise at speeds. didn't like even on moguls.
all in all i would like to know how should i ski this modern style... am i supposed to spend all day carving at 20 mph on soft snow? to me the fischer seemed better on longer turn. don't know...
are they supposed to be de tuned SLs?

rossignol hero elite LT 177 18m
they are considered "cool stuff" and not easy to rent. they are called long turns but to me are very agile and can turn on a dime. i liked them alot, they are very easy to ski and made me look a better skier than i am. compared to the head gs they lack a bit o grip on hard snow and at higher speeds and maybe a bit of precision to the inputs.
i would say a really enjoyable everyday ski, could be the famous complement to a proper GS. but i still prefer the response of my heads. it may sounds strange but i feel like a ski like the rossi hero could actually slow the learning curve.

Hero Elite is the third tier ski after the Athlete and Masters. They will never be as good as Rebels Masters.

TS
C

cloudymind

Booting up
Skier
definitively not gs-masters etc...

not the ski i need to improve my technique just a great everyday ski with an interesting balance between accessibility and performance. don't know why i didn't like the dynastar master at the test day.

what impressed me especially in the LT is the agility, i don't really need more. i would say that at the moment shorter radius skis like atomic x9rs/fischer ct are a bit less interesting for me.

i tried the RD on fresh and very wet snow during a "quasi-storm" it was a struggle, quite an exercise. an hero LT would be great in those occasions if i can't rent something more specific.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
The 27 meter skis are harder to ski and feel like “old tech” compared to the 30’s imho.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Don't know if this is of any use to you at this radius, @cloudymind , but this season I've seen a fair few race coaches in Italy on 17-metre Salomon S Race GSs. No idea whether their choice is based on how they ski or on how they trample snow.

TS
C

cloudymind

Booting up
Skier
yes i also saw salomon and i wonder if they are similar to one of the g9 atomic like dynastar-rossignol. in the past i did rent salomon, and also from memory salomon were the SL i tried.
but rentals i saw had mostly head and rossignol.

anyway tomorrow i'll see a pair of elan gsx that are leftover.

BmbrMcGnrly

Putting on skis
Skier
markojp--perfect descriptions of the Rebel i/e.Race Pro vs. Rebel i/e.Speed Pro that completely matches my experiences on them!

If we are training gates on FIS GS or SG in the morning, for a change of pace I'll often jump on an e.Race (or the similar WRT ST) in the afternoon for drills and free skiing; likewise if the morning is on FIS SL's for gates, the e.Speed's (or Laser GS) may come out to play to stretch my legs for afternoon free skiing.

For more recreational pursuits, then a nice 88-90mm All Mountain ski (Stance 90, Monster 88, AM88c, MX88, etc...) typically gets the nod for fun skiing.

Hey DocGKR- Interested to hear your thoughts on the e.Race vs WRT, and e.Speed vs. Laser GS if you care to share!

Sponsor

Staff online