• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Yes but ahead could mean one second behind, and one second even, and then one second in front - this would indicate that crossing skier was out of control. They have the visual field and If someone comes across the hill out of visual range and then moves ahead by feet, I don't buy it, the original uphill skier is the reckless one even if he jumps a head of the other skier!

More experienced skiers need to be vigilant and be aware of potential situations that are developing. Many of the new skiers on the hill don't have the experience to execute the code. New skiers are often able to ski fast. Head on a swivel makes sense. If someone jumps out after taking a break on the trail it's their fault, but good skiers don't rely on predictability. It's called protect yourself at all times.
This head on swivel concept means you are taking your eyes of where you are going ... I prefer to stick with situational awareness. Be aware of where you are skiing and how fast, be aware of the terrain and take both into account so you stay in control and can react quickly if needed. If I am skiing down a hill, why do I need to look back, if I am traversing across a hill different story but even then I have a wide field of vision and situational awareness.

Ultimately here is some very basic advice that actually holds true lol

James

Out There
Instructor
No one looks behind them, lets not get ridiculous. But since one is often going across the fall line, a little turn of the head can yield a lot of info. There’s also the problem of someone going at say +25-30mph your downhill descent speed can be unseen when you glance, and then on you quickly.

It’s amazing how people make this into a big deal or about their rights. Be glad you have two eyes, don’t let the mind get in the way.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I had an incident at Mt. Bachelor in January. I was skiing a wide groomer in great conditions. As it was midweek it was empty except for some skiers well below me on a merging/crossing trail. I was making very symmetrical turns down the middle of the run with lots of room on either side of me. As I was turning back to my right a guy came blasting by me in a tuck within inches of the tails of my skis. I swore at him, which I doubt he heard, and unfortunately did not see where he went at the bottom of the run. It was a complete asshole maneuver to use me as a human slalom gate when there was tons of space on either side and I was skiing in a very predictable manner. I have no doubt I would have been at least hurt, if not injured, had he actually hit me. I was absolutely furious but when I got to the lift I did not want to scream at the wrong person, although I think he was there, and he was at least my age, which is old enough to know better.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I had an incident at Mt. Bachelor in January. I was skiing a wide groomer in great conditions. As it was midweek it was empty except for some skiers well below me on a merging/crossing trail. I was making very symmetrical turns down the middle of the run with lots of room on either side of me. As I was turning back to my right a guy came blasting by me in a tuck within inches of the tails of my skis. I swore at him, which I doubt he heard, and unfortunately did not see where he went at the bottom of the run. It was a complete asshole maneuver to use me as a human slalom gate when there was tons of space on either side and I was skiing in a very predictable manner. I have no doubt I would have been at least hurt, if not injured, had he actually hit me. I was absolutely furious but when I got to the lift I did not want to scream at the wrong person, although I think he was there, and he was at least my age, which is old enough to know better.
Bachelor has some, um, interesting intersections with main trails coming down across the traverses that work around the mountain. Yes, there are intersections like that in a lot of places but there seem to be more at Bachelor and even with signage some seem to come up quickly. No matter if I was on a traverse or main run I was damn near at a stop when crossing.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
The number of people who don’t look where they should is large.
Lets take Sugarloaf. There’s gobs of intersections. A lot of these are crossing steep groomers. If it’s smooth and firm, people can easily be doing 40-50mph. And people just go through as if they couldn’t possibly be hit. Sure, they have right of way, just like people in a crosswalk have right of way, but most people don’t trust cars to stop.
Exactly. And anyone who dashes into a crosswalk in front of a car being driven responsibly better not be surprised when they get run over. Downhill skiers need to give uphill skiers a chance to miss them. I look uphill before I ski out of my "lane." And I've been hit hard when I felt that I was maintaining a consistent course and the uphill skier claimed that I skied wider than usual that one time. That skier that hit me is now a former friend. Among the worst are edge-to-edge skiers that one reasonably expects to turn some time so they can be safely passed and ski school snakes where the instructor doesn't maintain the whole class sticking to one side of the run as the group snakes down the hill.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The last time I looked uphill before making a hard left, I broke a couple of ribs; I should have been looking ahead to see that kicker someone had built.

My rule is that I always give anyone downhill enough room so that it is not possible for them to intersect me no matter what sudden moves they make. Even this is not enough; someone can come straight down on my left as I'm turning right and then make a hard right just as I'm turning left before I have a chance to see them. You need to learn how to fall and how to mitigate impacts.

PS Protect your head at all times.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
FWIW, i stopped using the ear pads on my helmets a few seasons ago... I'm sure it's saved me just being able to hear what on the hill behind and next to me. Also easier to hear guests when working.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This one is the hit that all others are measured by.
I don't know, the dude who was proposing got hit full on. The Red Sox fan was a wrap up. Either way, not me!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seems like a clown show overall, and that the side with the least worst attorneys won.

Also easier to hear guests when working.

On a lighter note:

Please clarify whether this goes in the plus or minus column?! :ogcool:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I love it when people who have never skied with me assume I do or don't do something.

Exactly how many hands is that mustang you've saddled right there? I said nothing about you so only can conclude you've had a comprehension fail.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't know, the dude who was proposing got hit full on. The Red Sox fan was a wrap up. Either way, not me!
Well I don’t want to sidetrack this important discussion but watch the end of the hit.

James

Out There
Instructor
Dodgers game was a hit, Red Sox an arm tackle.
Proposing in the stands is bad enough, on the field? At least it’s documented.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Dodgers game was a hit, Red Sox an arm tackle.
Proposing in the stands is bad enough, on the field? At least it’s documented.
I don't even think that hit goes to Player Safety. Primary point of contact is not the head. Body to body. All in all, clean hit. :roflmao:

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone ever get on the rink in the NHL? That could be brutal.
dinosaur-eating.gif

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Anyone ever get on the rink in the NHL? That could be brutal.
Oh yeah. Good guy Ron Asselstine buried a guy at the old Garden...

My personal fave, Sugar Rob Ray just dummies some idiot..

And of course Tie Domi in Philly..

And who can forget Mike Millbury beating a guy with a shoe...

Sponsor

Staff online