• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Exactly. And anyone who dashes into a crosswalk in front of a car being driven responsibly better not be surprised when they get run over. Downhill skiers need to give uphill skiers a chance to miss them. I look uphill before I ski out of my "lane." And I've been hit hard when I felt that I was maintaining a consistent course and the uphill skier claimed that I skied wider than usual that one time. That skier that hit me is now a former friend. Among the worst are edge-to-edge skiers that one reasonably expects to turn some time so they can be safely passed and ski school snakes where the instructor doesn't maintain the whole class sticking to one side of the run as the group snakes down the hill.
Again all well and good to look uphill, but the responsibility is still with the uphill skier, hence the reason many ski hills have slow signs and trail merging signs .. etc. Bottom line is that downhill skier has the right of way and the uphill skier has the responsibility to ski in control and give the downhill skier enough room so that even an unanticipated turn or stop does not result in a collision. Bottom line is you always need to have situational awareness when you are skiing as you cannot control the actions of other skiers but you can control your actions.

CraigBro

Getting on the lift
Skier
TBH, probably not. However, I was aware of him, I was skiing in control and I was able to avoid a collision. He OTOH, had no clue I was there. I wasn't straight lining, I was linking short radius turns taking up only 10-15 feet of the hill. He was using up much more of the slope as if he were only one there.

Rick G

I don't think you have much to say to him. Expecting people to look back uphill when they are already skiing is unreal. It's different if they are at a stop and about to start back up, sure, look, back uphill first. But there are so many other forces of physiology and psychology that keep a person's focus downhill and in their own path, that a look back uphill when "lane changing" is a rare event.

I'm glad you had the time and space to pull up and avoid them, good on you.

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Screenshot_20230401-083750.png

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
This guy really should be thankful that he got out of this losing only $1 in damages and attorney's fees. What is the saying? Throwing good money after bad?

Edit: Just as likely, Sanderson's attorneys were working on contingency and don't want to / can't afford to take the loss.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
This guy really should be thankful that he got out of this losing only $1 in damages and attorney's fees. What is the saying? Throwing good money after bad?

Edit: Just as likely, Sanderson's attorneys were working on contingency and don't want to / can't afford to take the loss.

Having taken another entity all the way to federal juries trial I know how these costs add up. Are this guy's attorneys working pro-bono? I get that optomiotrists make decent money. However it is most likley six-figures per year, not six-figures per month or week.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
For some reason, this quote keeps coming to mind: "shoot for the moon; even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." But not so much.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
  1. I have the responsibility to avoid hitting people who are downhill/ahead of me, giving appropriate berth to them and remembering that they can do something erratic at any time.
  2. I have the responsibility to myself to remember that many people don't pay close attention to #1, and make sure to maintain situational awareness. That includes looking over my shoulder prior to and during any erratic move on my part.

It's not either/or, it's both/and.

If the semi driver does something stupid and kills me, it doesn't matter that he was supposed to not do it.

rickg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Back when I was a Safety Ranger for a decade at my local resort, we had a great slogan that pretty much sums it up.

Be Aware, Ski With Care

If everyone did that, we wouldn't need a responsibility code.

Rick G

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
"shoot for the moon; even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."

Wait a minute, aren't the stars further away than the moon?!

Sponsor

Staff online