• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
SkiRacing Premium article about Daron Rahlves and the Hahnenkamm.
The picture of him looks young. I forget how young these racers are in their prime.
Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 9.29.05 PM.png

TS
Swede

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Start in the men’s downhill in a few hours.

TS
Swede

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's happening. A little foggy and light snow. As said it's a day early and crowds will be thinner due to that, but there's fear of heavier snow tomorrow. No Janserud and no Svindal.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
As said it's a day early and crowds will be thinner due to that, but there's fear of heavier snow tomorrow. No Janserud and no Svindal.
For today weather was pretty cool, but even weather report was promising maybe 1 or 2cm of snow, and even that at -10c (it was a bit warmer but still pretty damn cold to stand in Steilhang for 3h). For tomorrow it's suppose to be much warmer (around 0c) and with about 50cm of fresh snow from early morning till late afternoon, so realistically there's no chance they would make downhill in that, and SL is only option. Sunday should be nice, at least as it looks now, but SG is something noone gives a sh**t in Kitz, so even if they will need to cancel it, noone will be crying about, especially since they run DH in nearly perfect conditions, and even that little sun that came through, came through at exactly right moment for Austrians catapulting Striedinger to third place.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
That is one long course. Steep, flat and narrow and then steep.

TS
Swede

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Swedish Alexander Köll did a nasty crash entering the traverse. He’s beat up but ok uner the circunstamces.

Sean

I don’t see any holes
Skier
Are you guys watching on the gold app? I couldn’t find it on any of the nbc sports channels:huh:

James

Out There
Instructor
Olympic channel or nbcsn has nothing on. I don't have the gold app.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I watched it on the Gold Pass Snow pass.

TS
Swede

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
W Garmish race SG tomorrow — only inspection. No more training runs. Don’t think you can start in DH (sun) w/o training runs, even if you do the SG. Anyways I doubt Lindsay will race anymore. She looked eclipsed in her Cortina starts.

James

Out There
Instructor

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
She is NOT racing. No training. No racing. No SG. No DH. Even if she has some overnight miracle recovery, she hasn't run either training run, so she can't race the DH. Hard and fast rule. She's not on the start list for the SG. They have already had the captains' meeting, done the bib draw. Done.

Not sure if you have followed the other post on her situation. This nerve issue is severe. They are not going all "let's alarm the ski fans" with the news. I hear from somebody who is a coach and a PT/AT, who works with the USST, that this type of nerve injury can be a sign of other severe damage and trauma. The nerve runs through the knee. NO way in hell is anybody going to let her ski, regardless of how fearless and batshit crazy she can be, and fixated on "the record", until this issue is gone.

She did NOT make a mistake in the Cortina SG. She physically hit the wall, the nerve flared up and her leg muscles were not responding. Could not make the turn. That's why she looked terrified at the finish and absolutely melted down. She's never experienced this and she was shocked.

I outlined the rest of the season for her in another post, and it's not great. She probably will not go at the FIS World Champs, in Are, as it's not a World Cup event. Sure she might want to test her ability to medal on a relatively gentle hill, but they start on 2/4. First day is the ladies DH training. That's 10 days form now. I would assume no. All she wants are WC wins, and podiums so that she can qualify for the World Cup Finals in Andorra. Otherwise there is just a DH in Crans-Montana, and a DH and SG in Rosa Khutor, Russia. She would need to probably score one very good result and one top tenish to qualify for the WCF's. That, I believe will be a gentle hill. I believe that they have made changes to the hill in Russia. Not sure if they play into her favor. At Sochi there was a LOT of air, which is not what she needs.

The season ends pretty quickly, in speed. And she, courtesy of reports on social media and in the press, as well as the usual chatter in the very small world of ski racing, is in a tough physical condition. She is just incredibly stubborn, and has always held the opinion that she will risk anything IF SHE THINKS SHE CAN WIN. What we don't know is if she is listening to some who are advising her that she can't win any longer.

I spoke with a coach last night who knows her well, has worked with/for her and he joked {I think} that maybe she will adopt the Lance Armstrong program of peaking for one big race series a season. Just race Lake Louise. Then rest and rehab. And keep doing it until she has the five wins. I laughed that I sure doubted that, and his comment was "I'm not ruling a thing out, as crazy as it sounds." But he did laugh. He also said that "at least the BS about racing with the guys is long gone."

Edit: was typing as you guys were posting above.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Swedish Alexander Köll did a nasty crash entering the traverse. He’s beat up but ok uner the circunstamces.
That was second Swede in 3 days... not really much of luck just bit more then week before their home WCH.... and looks like 2 of my friends just got early holidays... yeah not funny i know :(