• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Handle Bars and Stems

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So, as I had mentioned a long time ago, my Fox shock on my 2021 Fuel EX 9.8 was never "right". I had every intention to warranty it this winter but moving really disrupted many winter plans, and I wasn't about to be bikeless now that riding season is here. So, I found someone selling one he pulled off the same bike last year and never used. Turns out, I was 100% right and this shock feels so much better.

Now the question is will Fox still warranty the one I pulled off, or should I just pay to have a shop rebuild it then sell it?

Also, I cut my bars last year down to 730 then got a shorter stem. Turns out, the shorter stem is great but now I want wider bars. The front end just feels too twitchy in rock gardens and tight spaces. I have found the same bars used on Pinkbike because buying them new is stupid. Not sure if an aftermarket bar of a different brand would be preferable?? Anyone have any experience with different bars, sweeps, etc?

Top Fuel is still on order but who knows when that will show up...

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure if an aftermarket bar of a different brand would be preferable??
I put a PNW Range bar on mine and am happy with it. Good price, solid construction. I left it at 800mm but I don't have too many trees to worry about. I replace the stock bar that had originally been cut down to 740 for @Tricia. It seems to fit me well with the sweep side rise.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I put a PNW Range bar on mine and am happy with it. Good price, solid construction. I left it at 800mm but I don't have too many trees to worry about. I replace the stock bar that had originally been cut down to 740 for @Tricia. It seems to fit me well with the sweep side rise.
I’d want to go with carbon since my bike and current stem and bars are carbon. I do wonder if 750mm with more sweep and rise would be a golden ticket especially with the shorter stem.

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm a fan of the Salsa Rustler for its slightly higher than average back sweep at 11 degrees.

Depending on how much wider you want to go, and if you have grips with a solid interior and that only screw on the inside, you could just pull out the grips a little. Just means you can't have end caps on your bars. I've done this on one bike where the grips stick out about 20mm on each side.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I'm a fan of the Salsa Rustler for its slightly higher than average back sweep at 11 degrees.

Depending on how much wider you want to go, and if you have grips with a solid interior and that only screw on the inside, you could just pull out the grips a little. Just means you can't have end caps on your bars. I've done this on one bike where the grips stick out about 20mm on each side.
I'm using a pair of Syntace 12 degree bars. It's weird that someone decided all bars should be 9 degrees.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

I have a 35mm clamp, so those won't work. However, my grips are the screw on type and I had not thought of trying that at least as an experiment. Great idea!

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Race Face Next 35 Carbon Riser Bars - 760mm x 10mm Rise x 35mm Bar Clamp (Carbon/Silver)
I think I want at least 15mm rise or more based on what the stock bars are.

Who knew that bar sweep and rise could be such a confusing thing. Worst thing is you can't go demo the bars to see what you like. It's like throwing darts.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I have a pair of these never used if you are interested.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think I want at least 15mm rise or more based on what the stock bars are.

Who knew that bar sweep and rise could be such a confusing thing. Worst thing is you can't go demo the bars to see what you like. It's like throwing darts.
They are pretty inexpensive in the grand scheme of biking. A guy at a shop would know what would be good for you, pay a little to get it installed and done.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been very happy with the bars that came on my bike...the Santa Cruz Carbon Bar. They were technically 800mm, but measured wider. I've cut them down to about 785, I probably could go a bit shorter for "normal" trail riding, but enjoy the extra width when riding downhill and in technical sections. They're 20mm rise and 9 deg sweep. I've also been happy with the Race Face Turbine R 35mm stem that came on my bike, at 50mm length. But, realistically, what other people ride doesn't really matter...it really depends on the individual dimensions of the rider and the bike. My husband has 3 bikes that he rides regularly, and I think they all have different stems and bars (one "fun" rowdy hardtail, one set up for XC riding, and one for more aggressive enduro/downhill).

If you don't have any complaints other than the width, I'd buy another with the same spec's but wider...I tend to go with if it's not broken, don't fix it.

If you want to play with other options...
- Doesn't your husband work at a shop? Maybe they have some older bars that they've taken off of bikes and have them laying around. Even if they're not carbon, ...it might give you a chance to "demo" some other options.
- Buy cheap bars until you figure out what rise/sweep you want, then spring for something classier with the same specs.
- Test before you cut...buy a bar you think you want, set them up as if they were a bit shorter (i.e. don't grip the ends of the bars, slide your hands and brake levers in a bit). If they're not what you like...sell them (they'll be easier to sell at the full width).

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a pair of these never used if you are interested.

Might be! I’m starting down the path of experimenting right now. Price?
I've been very happy with the bars that came on my bike...the Santa Cruz Carbon Bar. They were technically 800mm, but measured wider. I've cut them down to about 785, I probably could go a bit shorter for "normal" trail riding, but enjoy the extra width when riding downhill and in technical sections. They're 20mm rise and 9 deg sweep. I've also been happy with the Race Face Turbine R 35mm stem that came on my bike, at 50mm length. But, realistically, what other people ride doesn't really matter...it really depends on the individual dimensions of the rider and the bike. My husband has 3 bikes that he rides regularly, and I think they all have different stems and bars (one "fun" rowdy hardtail, one set up for XC riding, and one for more aggressive enduro/downhill).

If you don't have any complaints other than the width, I'd buy another with the same spec's but wider...I tend to go with if it's not broken, don't fix it.

If you want to play with other options...
- Doesn't your husband work at a shop? Maybe they have some older bars that they've taken off of bikes and have them laying around. Even if they're not carbon, ...it might give you a chance to "demo" some other options.
- Buy cheap bars until you figure out what rise/sweep you want, then spring for something classier with the same specs.
- Test before you cut...buy a bar you think you want, set them up as if they were a bit shorter (i.e. don't grip the ends of the bars, slide your hands and brake levers in a bit). If they're not what you like...sell them (they'll be easier to sell at the full width).
I’ll have to ask if they have any bars laying around. I don’t think so but it’s definitely worth asking.

I did do Nemesis’s trick and moved my rigid grips out by what might be a LOT and they felt GREAT! So much more stable, cornering was more fluid, neck and shoulders more relaxed. I eyeballed how far I moved them because it was at the trailhead and might have stumbled on liking 790 width with the shorter stem. Crazy! Not really sure where to measure so my measurements might be off.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Who knew that bar sweep and rise could be such a confusing
Totally agree! My current mtb bike has had 4 bars/stems and im not sure i love it yet! On the other hand, when i swap road bikes my fit is spot on. Never swapping stuff around

scott43

Skier
Totally agree! My current mtb bike has had 4 bars/stems and im not sure i love it yet! On the other hand, when i swap road bikes my fit is spot on. Never swapping stuff around
I think you have a lot more monkeying around on the MTB. So the position is not as important. At the same time, it's more variable so you never really know what's best. Road bike is 100k of grind so you figure out what works more quickly!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm using a pair of Syntace 12 degree bars. It's weird that someone decided all bars should be 9 degrees.
This. I had a pair of those and loved them. At least on that bike. Experiment. Don't assume.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@AmyPJ I have an Enve bar hanging around. I think it's zero rise. PM FMI

Sponsor

Staff online