• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Handle Bars and Stems

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Get these: https://www.oneupcomponents.com/pro...YaVy6v5sniCWRbDHcB9F8nAyNxuHybsUaAm4GEALw_wcB

They add a bit of cush that is actually noticeable, without being noodles.

20 and 35 millimeter rise options IIRC.

Call Fox and tell them your shock story. More likely than not, they'll rebuild your OEM shock if you send it back.
Looks interesting. Read the fine print, though.

Screenshot_20220619-092300.png

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks interesting. Read the fine print, though.

View attachment 171561

Even better. An excuse to buy some grips that don't ride like you're hanging onto a piece of rebar.

The difference in compliance feel between lock-on grips and silicone grips like Wolftooth's is immense.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Even better. An excuse to buy some grips that don't ride like you're hanging onto a piece of rebar.

The difference in compliance feel between lock-on grips and silicone grips like Wolftooth's is immense.
True that! Several people recommended the wolftooth fat grips to me(including @Tom K. When i was having wrist hand/issues. Made a HUGE difference.
Ive been running the sq lab 12 degree bar and pretty happy with it. May swap a longer stem…

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks to all of you! I am going to save some $$ for now and just keep riding with the grips moved out to make sure of the width. I did a much longer ride today over some of the rockiest terrain I ever ride on and they are so much better. It's just ironic or humorous that they are 790 and I like them, but I also have a shorter stem. So it could be that shorter stem+wider bars is a great choice for me. Not only are they more stable, but the front end quit popping up on rocky climbs.

@Tom K. I will be calling Fox this week and I do hope they'll take care of the shock for me. And those Oneup bars are interesting and also a better price point, so I might go that route if I do buy a different bar.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Update on the bars at 790--they are comfortable but really bad on tight switchbacks. So, I moved the grips in to 770 and might have found the sweet spot. Quick response especially in corners but still stable. I'll know this weekend when I'm riding a trail with the most horrible tight switchbacks; same trail I rode last weekend and made me realize the bars were too wide so I'll have a good comparison.

It's interesting how much what I'd call fore/aft balance is affected by bar width.

Another notable takeaway is hand pressure. Wider is definitely easier on the hands.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It's interesting how much what I'd call fore/aft balance is affected by bar width.
It's all in the triangle. Widen the base (the bar) and the same length sides (your arms) pull the top point closer to the base. Your whole body moves forward. That's probably why you're not getting the front end pop as much. I really like my 800mm bars. They're a bit more challenging on tight switches but they force me to get closer over the front tire. And here I thought I didn't like math!

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The things I (I am a bike fitter) want people to realize about handle bars and most other fit related components is:

• It depends on the person and the bike. What is right for one person on one bike, is not good for a different bike or rider.
  • -er’ is not better. At some point you will end up with something that is too wide, narrow, tall, short etc.
  • It’s all related. If you change one thing, you might need to change something else, as @AmyPJ ’s post illustrates

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have found the same bars used on Pinkbike because buying them new is stupid.

I think buying used bars isn't the wisest of approaches: carbon or aluminum there is a fatigue life to these high stress parts, and when they fail they tend to leave you spitting teeth or with a puncture in your chest....and they aren't too expensive new. Just a thought.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think buying used bars isn't the wisest of approaches: carbon or aluminum there is a fatigue life to these high stress parts, and when they fail they tend to leave you spitting teeth or with a puncture in your chest....and they aren't too expensive new. Just a thought.
Well the good news is I bought a new bike with different geometry with 750 wide bars and I have yet to wish they were wider or narrower :ogbiggrin: I think one of the issues with the bike I just sold was it was just too big for me.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
the bike I just sold was it was just too big for me
That does not work. And the smaller you are the more likely it is to happen.

Sponsor

Staff online