• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Snapcase26

Booting up
Skier
going cat skiing this winter so i swung by my local ski shop. They are offering me a pair on ‘16 wailer 99 hybrid w/ marker griffin bindings for $450 or a pair of 16 or 17 rossi soul 7s for 600 w same bindings. always wanted the wailer 112 but for the price thinking of the 99s.
question is will i regret the wailer 99 over soul 7s on my trip. already have frontside and backside skis so these would only be for powder/ backcountry. using valhalla powder cats in bc

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Both :D
I'd actually consider going a little wider for powder specific, for cat skiing.
Think more like the DPS 106 or 112
Dynastar makes a fantastic Legend 106.

TS
Snapcase26

Snapcase26

Booting up
Skier
Both :D
I'd actually consider going a little wider for powder specific, for cat skiing.
Think more like the DPS 106 or 112
Dynastar makes a fantastic Legend 106.

Just out of curiosity which would you ski on powder. the dps 99 or soul 7? the soul 7 is the ski the cat company demos

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I vote neither. If that is your only choice in the whole world...
188cm soul 7

If you would consider a prefer ski... This thread might have legs!

TS
Snapcase26

Snapcase26

Booting up
Skier
I vote neither. If that is your only choice in the whole world...
188cm soul 7

If you would consider a prefer ski... This thread might have legs!
thank you for the reply. gonna let the dps 99s go and look for a decent powder ski w/ the soul 7 demo as the fall back

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Cat service probably has better options but I would look over 110. Did they have any Wailer 112's or Super7's?

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
The Cat service probably has better options but I would look over 110. Did they have any Wailer 112's or Super7's?

Agreed. I wouldn't want anything under 110 for cat skiing, regardless of conditions (I'm assuming that the operator is actually taking people out and it's not a boilerplate rain crust or anything).

Even if you don't get thigh deep blower powder, you'll be skiing on relatively untouched snow, and I definitely enjoy a wider ski in those conditions. My one cat ski trip was not the conditions you hope for, by any stretch, and i was still glad I was on my 117 powder skis.

TS
Snapcase26

Snapcase26

Booting up
Skier
Agreed. I wouldn't want anything under 110 for cat skiing, regardless of conditions (I'm assuming that the operator is actually taking people out and it's not a boilerplate rain crust or anything).

Even if you don't get thigh deep blower powder, you'll be skiing on relatively untouched snow, and I definitely enjoy a wider ski in those conditions. My one cat ski trip was not the conditions you hope for, by any stretch, and i was still glad I was on my 117 powder skis.
found a pair of sick day 125 for 325 w bindings
thanks for the info def helpful.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
going cat skiing this winter so i swung by my local ski shop. They are offering me a pair on ‘16 wailer 99 hybrid w/ marker griffin bindings for $450 or a pair of 16 or 17 rossi soul 7s for 600 w same bindings. always wanted the wailer 112 but for the price thinking of the 99s.
question is will i regret the wailer 99 over soul 7s on my trip. already have frontside and backside skis so these would only be for powder/ backcountry. using valhalla powder cats in bc

I demoed the Wailer 99's and liked them but they are best for someone lighter than me ( I am 6-2 185 lb). Should be a superb backcountry ski for some smaller/lighter. Light enough to tour for sure with a tech binding but held good edge and had some good backbone. Good powder ski, again, if you are not big/heavy.

For Cat skiing you can definitely use something wider / burlier if you are my size.

Rossi Soul 7's can be had dirt cheap. Would not pay 600 for a pair. No way. They are quite abundant. Good ski but not my jam.

You mentioned that its gonna be a cat pow ski so I would go with the Wailer 112's or something similar.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Neither. They are both too narrow to be considered "only for powder/ backcountry" and neither is particularly a 'good deal'. Pass and keep looking.

I'm going to agree. One ski I'd walk you to on the ski wall for a cat ski trip would be an Atomic Backland 117. Ski it a length longer than you might think unless you make loads of little turns. It's light, skis easy, skis well, and won't break the bank.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Snap26 the soul 7 is the most popular ski in the world for a reason.Get one for sure , just don’t pay $ 600.00 bucks for it.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
This is one of the only times I'd strongly recommend over 110 on a walk down the ski wall for anyone doing a heli or cat trip.... or Hokkaido.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes but ( I’ve never been cat tracking or heli skiing) I would imagine your making fresh tracks 99% of the time and we all no that’s a lot easier of a turn.
Heck you could probably make turns even on a Renoun or even one of those Nordica skis ( sometimes I can’t help myself ).

TS
Snapcase26

Snapcase26

Booting up
Skier
anyone have an opinion of the 2015 line sick day 125s. i have line supernaturals 100/s and the are pretty fun.
bought the sick days w bindings for under 350?

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I've gone on 3-day cat skiing trips to a remote lodge in BC three of the last four years and also agree with @Philpug comments. I've gone with Mustang Powder Cat whose narrowest rental skis are Volkyl 108s (see http://www.mustangpowder.com/powder-ski-snowboard-rental for their options).

I bought 188 cm Rossignol Super 7s (115 mm waist, 17.5 m radius) the summer before the first time I went and have found they are a good size for me at 200 lbs. I get a good balance between float and sink, easy quick turns when in the good stuff and enough stiffness to handle higher speed turns and even the cruddy wind-affected we cat-skied this year. I've also used them for quite a few resort powder days including one at Kirkwood this March when they reported 28" new two days in a row where I could have used more float (or a snorkelogsmile).

I won't re-post the pictures from 2018 (we had cold, deep new snow although wind crusted in places) I did in thread this summer on Grand Targhee cat-skiing (see last two at https://www.pugski.com/threads/jackson-hole-trip-best-time-to-go-typically.10027/page-3#post-247864 ) but will post the following one of me from 2016 which was an average year at Mustang=some great pow. While that is a boarder (and some wind-affected snow) above me, I think the tracks to lookers left were skiers.
3529TonySTracksCR2.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January