• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Harley-Davidson

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Is that a Kawi Z1 on the left?? That'd be nice to toot around on..

Original CB750 from 1970.
Set for drag racing.
That thing paid my college tuition because Harley guys didn't think Jap Junk could run.
They learned slowly.
The Hayabusa is in a whole other league.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Where I work we call them Donorcycles. Organ procurement centers love them.
I do generally try to discourage people from riding motorcycles... I had a lucky 30 years..I've seen lots of damage too though. Saying "be careful" isn't quite enough...even being careful you can be injured.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
20160724_110640_HDR.jpg

This was my Harley. 1200S. I sold it last year after 20 years. I felt it was getting too dangerous. I felt I was becoming less and less visible to motorists. Or they were becoming more oblivious to motorcycles

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
It's always been the same percentage of drivers that were the problem; it's just that that with so many more total drivers, that percentage adds up - to way too many.

I'm not sure about that. The number of aggro drivers is probably similar. I think we're seeing an increase in passively inept drivers who do not take their responsibility for corrective or anticipatory actions as needed, so long as they comply with laws.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I found out last night my 26yo son has a '92 Sportster 1200. Since March. He hasn't been riding it, though he did just get his M endorsement and took a two day class. Yeah, I know I rode when I was 26 but that was 30 years ago!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Motorcycles are the most counter intuitive machine there is when it comes to riding through a hairy situation.
My recommendation for new riders is to get a small dirt bike and don't even think about a street bike until you have crashed in the dirt 100 times.
I got the Roughhouse with the idea that my son could ride it the 3 miles to the fast food place he works when both cars are taken for adult job purposes. He didn't venture out that way beyond the close neighborhood for the first month we owned it. I had him riding around the block and a littler bit farther and farther each week until I followed him in the car on a tour of the city and downtown. Only after that did he ride solo to work and back.

About the 4th or 5th time, coming home at night he hit a pothole next to a manhole cover and dumped it. Couple scabs and torn pants were the only injuries thankfully. He rode it several more times over the summer when car wasn't available. The headlight was pointed too high for the speed he rides at. Adjusting that helped him at night.

I grew up in the BMX and skateboarding era. I've wrecked myself plenty on two wheelers but nothing big or going over 50 mph. He wasn't even all that good on a bicycle, was even still afraid to stand up while pedaling.

Baby steps, lots of them before hitting the highway.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a blowout going around a corner at high speed, especially a winding mountain road with exposure, is probably deadly regardless of how good you are.

Main thing I kept stressing to the kid was.. Always expect the car to turn left right in front of you or pull out right in front of you. They just don's see bikes. Be prepared to avoid them like they are trying to kill you..

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Talk about thread drift....
And we are only on page 2.
Despite what I said earlier, I might get a Low Rider or Electra Glide Standard; it would probably be less tempting for me to be naughty with than if I were to get more high-performance oriented bike. (All my previous bikes had a hidden magnet that kept pulling the tachometer to redline in every gear ogwink )

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Talk about thread drift....

Not necessarily. Which set up do you believe is safer and easier to avoid the oblivious car/truck driver on? I'd argue that the hog is probably the worst be caught dead on. Something more nimble that turns quiker, speeds up quicker,and shuts down quicker is probably the safest. But, people looking for the Harley experience don't have safety high on their utility list. I was in a no helmet law state recently. Easily 40%-50% of the people on Harleys were sans helmet. I didn't see anyone on any other style of motorcycle sans helmet.

TS
C

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Really depends what you want to do. I'd only ride a Sportster personally but I'm coming from a sport bike background. Iron 883 or 1200 maybe. But if you want to do long tours probably not the best. You set on a Harley?

I definitely am all in on a Harley. I like the Sportsters but at 6-4 235-40 I’m a little big for those imo,

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I definitely am all in on a Harley. I like the Sportsters but at 6-4 235-40 I’m a little big for those imo,
I can relate. I don't think my back or my knees could take long rides on anthing "nimble and sporty" these days. A hog is way more relaxing to cruise around on. I guess that doesn't rule out other brands of cruisers but if going that way, might as well go for the iconic one..

AKA the LOUD one!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Speaking of exhaust DBs... My friend's brother rolled a Harley for years while owning a couple BBQ joints. He used to cut the engine 2 blocks out and coast the rest of the way in when checking up on his employees.

Sponsor

Staff online