• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Harley-Davidson

TS
C

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Coach13 Did you ever get a bike?

I sold my Harley after dropping it in my sandy driveway and not able to pick it up. bikecrash 800 lbs. Went and got something 350 lbs lighter and dirt friendly. Suzuki V-Strom 650 Adventure. Not as comfortable as the Geezer Glide but more fun and quieter. New bike is a jack of all trades, master of none - swiss army knife.

View attachment 142172
View attachment 142173
I ended up with a Road King Special which I think was perfect to cut my teeth on after not doing much street riding for a while. I started slow, took multiple training classes and watched a lot of video, all of which helped me a lot. I also got on it and rode local pretty much every chance I got. I’m actually thinking of trading it (or passing it on to my older son who seems to be on it more than I am and has it as we speak) for either a Road Glide Special or an Ultra as I’ve been considering some longer trips with some friends that do a 2-3 week trip a couple times a year.

By the way, I really like your new bike and the class that fits into. The vast majority of my life I’ve ridden dirt-bikes and that’s my favorite by far. I really like the new adventure/touring class of bikes that most manufacturers are putting out right now. I can see one of them in my near future as well.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
@Coach13 Road King Special AWESOME BIKE. So glad you got one and took multiple training classes. Classes here too and enjoy these YouTube teachers...

https://www.youtube.com/user/motorman857/videos Jerry Palladino (Former Cop cycle rider)
https://www.youtube.com/c/DanDanTheFireman/videos Dan Dan the Fireman (I'm a former paramedic fireman)
https://www.youtube.com/c/MCrider/videos MC Rider...one of the best teachers (Humble pro teacher)
https://www.youtube.com/c/CrossTrainingEnduroSkills/videos Fun channel

Ride safe Coach...and enjoy every mile. Switching to Adventure style takes me back to dirt fun as a young'en. 1975 with my brother David on L. (LOL...where's my L handgrip?)
20934012_1583268018370228_383603414111097893_o.jpg

Last edited:
TS
C

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Coach13 Road King Special AWESOME BIKE. So glad you got one and took multiple training classes. Classes here too and enjoy these YouTube teachers...

https://www.youtube.com/user/motorman857/videos Jerry Palladino (Former Cop cycle rider)
https://www.youtube.com/c/DanDanTheFireman/videos Dan Dan the Fireman (I'm a former paramedic fireman)
https://www.youtube.com/c/MCrider/videos MC Rider...one of the best teachers (Humble pro teacher)
https://www.youtube.com/c/CrossTrainingEnduroSkills/videos Fun channel

Ride safe Coach...and enjoy every mile. Switching to Adventure style takes me back to dirt fun as a young'en. 1975 with my brother David on L. (LOL...where's my L handgrip?)
View attachment 142191
Thanks! I really enjoy the mcrider and ride like a pro stuff. I like canyon chasers as well.

The other thing I will tell you is that all the Harley detractors who spoke up clearly haven’t been on one in a long time. The new Harley touring bikes are as solid as a rock and the new Milwaukee 8 engine is amazing. I’ve been to a lot of demo days and rode a lot of different types of bikes over the last year and I can tell you Harley builds a great bike, at least these days anyway.

Last edited:

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Get a BMW! K1600 and if you insist on the bagger look get the K1600 B. Amazing machine. This will run circles around an HD in every respect!

I own an '09 BMW R1200RT, it has been a fabulous bike. I have ridden many Harley's.......Almost bought a Police Special but the RT is so far superior! Smooth, Quiet, Comfortable and only weighs about 580 lbs.
2000000033.jpg
20200414_173621.jpg

Last edited:

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
BMW makes great bikes but no dealers around me for higher than normal service and warranty work.

I might get another Harley someday but also like other manufacturers. Harley Milwaukee 8 107 and 114 are excellent.

Remember 1 thing...ATGATT. All The Gear All The Time. Boots, gloves, abrasion resistant pants and jacket with armor. I ride in temps over 100 lately and my gear is not uncomfortable. FLY, KLIM and AlpineStars flowthrough summer stuff and my skiing base layer in winter. Works great and I even wear my Masters Racing back brace armor. My carbon fiber Klim Krios full coverage helmet is light and comfy with great visibility. I ditched my Harley half-helmet...not enough protection. So glad to hear you are enjoying 2 wheel fun. Great to exercise balance, situational awareness, escape routes and watching front, sides and rear like skiing.

DRESS FOR THE SLIDE, NOT THE RIDE.

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
+1 on the full face helmet. IMHO, the view of gravel being thrown up into your face shield makes for a much better memory than the view (and sensation) of that same gravel being thrown up into your face. Also consider full leather's; a pair of leather pants or other protective pants is a lot cheaper than the time off-work waiting for your road rash to scab over.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
BMW makes great bikes but no dealers around me for higher than normal service and warranty work.

I might get another Harley someday but also like other manufacturers. Harley Milwaukee 8 107 and 114 are excellent.

Remember 1 thing...ATGATT. All The Gear All The Time. Boots, gloves, abrasion resistant pants and jacket with armor. I ride in temps over 100 lately and my gear is not uncomfortable. FLY, KLIM and AlpineStars flowthrough summer stuff and my skiing base layer in winter. Works great and I even wear my Masters Racing back brace armor. My carbon fiber Klim Krios full coverage helmet is light and comfy with great visibility. I ditched my Harley half-helmet...not enough protection. So glad to hear you are enjoying 2 wheel fun. Great to exercise balance, situational awareness, escape routes and watching front, sides and rear like skiing.

DRESS FOR THE SLIDE, NOT THE RIDE.
My RT has been bullet proof, virtually trouble free. With that said it was the last year of this iteration of RT. I never ride without full gear....EVER! Either Rev it! or BMW gear with upgraded armor. Even if just running to the neighborhood grocery. Also wear SIDI race boots with ankle stabilization. Didn't want to be looking forward with my feet pointing backward! Would put a real kink in ski season! I did switch from a Shoei RF1200 full face to newest Shoei Neotech 2 that is a Modular and highly rated. It is also install ready integration of Sena Blutooth unit speakers and mic. Works great. And nice having the flip up feature and built in sun visor.

TS
C

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Get a BMW! K1600 and if you insist on the bagger look get the K1600 B. Amazing machine. This will run circles around an HD in every respect!

I own an '09 BMW R1200RT, it has been a fabulous bike. I have ridden many Harley's.......Almost bought a Police Special but the RT is so far superior! Smooth, Quiet, Comfortable and only weighs about 580 lbs.
View attachment 142199 View attachment 142201
BMW makes a great bike and I’ve ridden all their touring models lately. Same with the Indians, great bikes.

I still prefer the new Harleys. Have you ridden a new Harley touring bike? I have no experience with the older Harleys.

If I buy an Adventure Touring bike it will be a BMW.

Last edited:

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
+1 on the full face helmet. IMHO, the view of gravel being thrown up into your face shield makes for a much better memory than the view (and sensation) of that same gravel being thrown up into your face. Also consider full leather's; a pair of leather pants or other protective pants is a lot cheaper than the time off-work waiting for your road rash to scab over.
Beyond the whole pain, suffering, and hospital cost bit, good purpose-built gear can also save a trip. I lost the front end of my BMW on a wet roundabout (lesson learned, don't try to save money on a front tire) while on a road trip. Aside from being annoyed, a little more damp, and a couple of scuffs on the bike, it had zero impact on my trip. Had I taken skin off my leg and hip in the process, continuing to ride would've been uncomfortable at best.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I sold my Harley after dropping it in my sandy driveway and not able to pick it up. bikecrash 800 lbs. Went and got something 350 lbs lighter and dirt friendly. Suzuki V-Strom 650 Adventure. Not as comfortable as the Geezer Glide but more fun and quieter. New bike is a jack of all trades, master of none - swiss army knife.

V-Stroms are great! I had a 1000 some time ago, and still wish I hadn't sold it. The only quibble was wind buffeting, which I see you've already addressed with a laminar lip type of add-on.

I just picked up a Tenere 700. So far, so great!

On topic, I really looked hard at the HD Pan America. Strong desire to buy made in the USA stuff, but this bike was just too big for my tastes.

Maybe I will really fall for the ADV thing, and build a quiver. Does anybody on Pugski know anything about these so-called "quiver" things?! :ogbiggrin:

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
V-Stroms are great! I had a 1000 some time ago, and still wish I hadn't sold it. The only quibble was wind buffeting, which I see you've already addressed with a laminar lip type of add-on.

I just picked up a Tenere 700. So far, so great!

On topic, I really looked hard at the HD Pan America. Strong desire to buy made in the USA stuff, but this bike was just too big for my tastes.

Maybe I will really fall for the ADV thing, and build a quiver. Does anybody on Pugski know anything about these so-called "quiver" things?! :ogbiggrin:

Awesome. Stoked with my Wee-Strom. Yes, mine came with GIVI larger windshield and zero buffeting. Rode it home 150 miles and honestly cruised better than my 5 speed Glide but seat lacks. I'll probably get used to seat or get a Corbin or softer something.

Tenere 700....THE BEST 70/30 dirt/street....mine is more 60/40 street. Knobbies coming next.

Pan America is at top of my list but too much for me so I went Stromtrooper to start BDR's and TAT.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, I just found this thread and I have something to get off my chest: off topic (but still relevant to motorcyclists): Could riders PLEASE stop being so loud?!?! I know the old "loud pipes save lives" argument, but jeezus, too much is too much! Hearing these jerks brap-brap-brapping at 120db almost makes me want to drive over and hit them (relax: just hyperbole for all you out there).

But really, such obnoxious, selfish, entitled behavior has turned me into a knee-jerk reactionary around Harleys. I just automatically assume H-D riders are vulgarian jackasses.
Is there something to be done about this in motorcycle culture?

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
OK, I just found this thread and I have something to get off my chest: off topic (but still relevant to motorcyclists): Could riders PLEASE stop being so loud?!?! I know the old "loud pipes save lives" argument, but jeezus, too much is too much! Hearing these jerks brap-brap-brapping at 120db almost makes me want to drive over and hit them (relax: just hyperbole for all you out there).

But really, such obnoxious, selfish, entitled behavior has turned me into a knee-jerk reactionary around Harleys. I just automatically assume H-D riders are vulgarian jackasses.
:roflmao: :roflmao: Other than a few old school die hards I see around the vast majority of Harley owners around here are rich guys(and a growing number of girls) that take them out a for a cruise a few times a season. I know a few guys that have been riding for a long time and have heavily modified Harleys and none of them are particularly loud unless you open it all the way up. I actually live uphill from a pretty busy road that's a well known motorcycle cruising route on LI(Route 25A) and I have to say I find the whiny, high strung sport bike riders and occasional tuner cars are far more irritating than any Harley I've heard.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier

:( Potato Potato Potato

Last edited:
TS
C

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There’s always one in every discussion! Lol

Honestly I’m cracking up. A post like that making the argument the Harley rider is the jackass! Too funny.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
:roflmao: :roflmao: Other than a few old school die hards I see around the vast majority of Harley owners around here are rich guys(and a growing number of girls) that take them out a for a cruise a few times a season. I know a few guys that have been riding for a long time and have heavily modified Harleys and none of them are particularly loud unless you open it all the way up. I actually live uphill from a pretty busy road that's a well known motorcycle cruising route on LI(Route 25A) and I have to say I find the whiny, high strung sport bike riders and occasional tuner cars are far more irritating than any Harley I've heard.

Ever heard a Thunderheader on a tuned Harley?