• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

hart Skis on hiatus

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought these when hart was having a closet sale a few years ago. I hemmed and hawed too long and they sold all the longer ones. These are too short for me but I might take them out for giggles some time.
20220120_200503.jpg
20220120_200520.jpg

JWMN

Getting off the lift
Skier
I demoed a new Hart ski in Steamboat maybe 6 years ago. It was a beautiful ski, was very light and lively and held an edge very well. But, I thought why is someone in Steamboat is making a skinny 168 slalom ski and not a powder ski?? The finish was very glossy, looked like an automotive finish and it scratched very easily Then it looked like an old ski instead of an expensive handmade ski. I think it was really just someone's hobby. Too bad.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought these when hart was having a closet sale a few years ago. I hemmed and hawed too long and they sold all the longer ones. These are too short for me but I might take them out for giggles some time. View attachment 156166 View attachment 156167
Today was the day. Mt. Rose remains mostly very firm all over. Keeping in mind these skis are woefully short for me (162) I figured I'd do a run or two and switch for my AM77s. I ended up skiing a bunch of runs, including one in the trees. A 200# guy having fun in the trees on a stubby 77mm ski should tell you how firm the conditions are! In a longer length these would probably be very similar to the Blossom AM77 without the Speedlock system. Very forgiving yet strong on the carves. As it is, the 162s held well to a point on the steeper, firmer stuff then started to lose some composure. Still a fun time on a 12 year old NOS ski.
20220121_090947.jpg

lmntguy

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I Had 3 pairs of Harts in the 70's, Javelin, Competition and my favs Freestyles. This was much to the dislike of the ski shop I worked in as a tech and boot-foamer. We sold Head, Fischer, K2, Olin and Kastle. But I loved my Harts over all of them!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I Had 3 pairs of Harts in the 70's, Javelin, Competition and my favs Freestyles. This was much to the dislike of the ski shop I worked in as a tech and boot-foamer. We sold Head, Fischer, K2, Olin and Kastle. But I loved my Harts over all of them!
You tried all the models you sold to compare to the Hart's? I would be hard pressed to think a Hart ski was better than a Kastle.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
hart was top tier in the late 60s and early 70s. From the mid 80s through the 90s Hart wasn't the same as the 70s hart. The early 00s and rebadged Blossoms were damn good skis, as good as Kastle. But, they didn't have the market reach to stay viable and grow again. Bummer..

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Kastle in todays environment could have easily been hart.
I would think that even the original Kastles would compare favorable. I would put the Kastle Freestyle Pro up against the Hart Freestyle any day.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess I didn't tell my Hart experience here yet.

I had a pair of Hart Pro's in the mid to late 60's.

At first I thought the aluminum oxide base was a great deal because I had had so many problems with base durability on cheap wood skis of the era.

Then I found out that the bases wouldn't hold wax, it was just a layer on the surface that didn't last long, and they were pretty terrible on any kind of wet snow.

It wasn't just Hart, I think Head had a model with a similar base.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I would think that even the original Kastles would compare favorable. I would put the Kastle Freestyle Pro up against the Hart Freestyle any day.
Kastley Freestyle Pro's tails were too soft, for both bumps and saving backseat landings.