• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Has anybody attained new certification this season?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Or working on it?

Tons of L2 and L3 candidates at Stowe right now. Not sure exactly how many, but enough for them to need 30 examiners.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Nope, next week. I'm not feeling that great about it at the moment. Lots of things coming together, but the last three weeks, where I was going to focus on the tasks I do not have ownership of, have been consumed with work.

I don't know how folk who teach full-time can prepare for this exam...

Mike

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Best of luck there, @Mike King. If you pass parts, can you hold onto those and just retake the ones you didn't pass? That's the way it's done in the NE. From what I hear, many people do it this way and successfully get the extra parts on their next try.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I think at this point it's a little late to be making changes. You just need to get into performance mode and own and feel good about how you do what you do.
True enough. But a week ago a coordinator (and Level 3 examiner and candidate for the demo team) and I went out and worked on canting my boots. We got things pretty dialed in with tape. Yesterday I had the boot fitter put it into the boot, but I think he put less cant in than was present in the tape. So this won't be so much virgin territory as much as getting back to what I had.

There's a story in the canting that I'll tell because it is hugely important and made a huge difference in my skiing.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Best of luck there, @Mike King. If you pass parts, can you hold onto those and just retake the ones you didn't pass? That's the way it's done in the NE. From what I hear, many people do it this way and successfully get the extra parts on their next try.
So our exams are three parts: Movement Analysis, Teaching, and Skiing. Once you pass a part, you own it. We used to be able to pass parts of the skiing exam, but now it is all or nothing...

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
True enough. But a week ago a coordinator (and Level 3 examiner and candidate for the demo team) and I went out and worked on canting my boots. We got things pretty dialed in with tape. Yesterday I had the boot fitter put it into the boot, but I think he put less cant in than was present in the tape. So this won't be so much virgin territory as much as getting back to what I had.

There's a story in the canting that I'll tell because it is hugely important and made a huge difference in my skiing.

That's a nice change.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Yup, same here. Apparently there were others that wanted to take the exam, but they couldn't staff for more.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Best of luck @Mike King

For the Ski off, watch those demonstrators like a hawk but keep eyes off the other candidates. Who knows if any of 'em will ski right so the demonstrator is the model to have in the mind.

Otherwise relax and enjoy the day/s on snow. :thumb:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Or working on it?

Tons of L2 and L3 candidates at Stowe right now. Not sure exactly how many, but enough for them to need 30 examiners.

Are you helping with the grading Erik? Is there anything ungroomed open for the L3 candidates?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowbasin just had two instructors get selected for the DEVO team. They both said conditions were some of the worst they have ever skied. (55 degrees the day before, temps plummeted to 19 during the morning they were testing.) One of them calls my husband his "ski dad", so needless to say, we are really happy for him. Both have worked incredibly hard.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Well he's too humble to say anything about out but @Erik Timmerman was once again selected to the Eastern Development Team. Congrats Erik, that had to be some great skiing you did to attain that!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well he's too humble to say anything about out but @Erik Timmerman was once again selected to the Eastern Development Team. Congrats Erik, that had to be some great skiing you did to attain that!
Congrats Erik! I know that this is no small feat!!

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor

Thanks guys, I'll tell you, it never gets easier. We started with 48 (did a cut based on online presentation first), and ended up with 9. Glad to make it through again.

Are you helping with the grading Erik? Is there anything ungroomed open for the L3 candidates?

Nope, teaching a family of never-ever from Miami. A nice bunch. I'm not sure where the L3 candidates skied, but most of then groomed was closed. They may have skied Hayride yesterday, maybe Gulch (which I heard was nice today).

Sponsor

Staff online