• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Has anybody DIY sewn in or tacked on a cargo pocket on an existing ski pant?

TS
R

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
IMO carrying anything in cargo pants pockets while skiing would be annoying, particularly something as large as a goggle lens case.

Just waiting for Anon to come up with an MFI goggle with Prizm React type of technology and this won't be a problem. MFI is the real game changer for me. I can live with swapping lenses for now (until someone combines tint-changing tech with MFI-like tech).

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
"I mean this kind of thinking is a slippery slope to complacency that inevitably ends with "why ski at all"?"

or this line of thinking keeps you from making a pair of expensive waterproof pants no longer waterproof.

I am asking honestly- how often do you change lenses during your ski day, and is getting back to a lodge/ parking not possible?

TS
R

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
"I mean this kind of thinking is a slippery slope to complacency that inevitably ends with "why ski at all"?"

or this line of thinking keeps you from making a pair of expensive waterproof pants no longer waterproof.

I am asking honestly- how often do you change lenses during your ski day, and is getting back to a lodge/ parking not possible?
Depends on the weather. There are days when it's blue bird all around or cloudy all around or mixed or whiteout and many configurations in between.

I can't predit the weather when I go to a resort, so I cannot tell you how many times I have swapped out. Yeah some days, the weather doesn't change much from the forecast, so I definitely have not swapped out the forecast lens. But variable weather happens a lot too that I've swapped out especially during mid-day and afternoon when clouds seem to clear.

I can tell you this much on night skiing days I would start mid-day or afternoon and hit the après then go back to the slopes for night skiing and swap to low-light/night lens, so that's definitely a two-lens day.

Not all people ski in and out of their lodge or park their car near the resort that they can just swap out stuff from the room or the car. Some skiing areas necessitates that you carry stuff on your person.

Last edited:
TS
R

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Also going to the parking lot or the lodge just to swap out lenses is inconvenient as hell and unnecessary time off the mountain. DIY'ing a cargo pocket is a one and done job that, if done correctly, would pay dividends with skiing time saved vs going to the parking lot or lodge.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
I don't care at all what you do, stitch away. I was just trying to help by pointing out this might not be necessary. You disagree, all good.

TS
R

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
I don't care at all what you do, stitch away. I was just trying to help by pointing out this might not be necessary. You disagree, all good.

You know Mike seriously I, in all honesty, think skiing is not really necessary at all. I really do believe that. I shouldn't say it out loud. But it's true.

Last edited:

ThomasD

Getting off the lift
Skier
Post results.

I would probably rather go super-old-school and make a bag pocket instead of a patch, with a snap-button flap closure over top. I'm good at rivets so I'd do those from the inner surface of the bag.
Find a soft sided lens case that can be riveted on.

TS
R

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Just had a thought I would probably just make a slit in the pocket area inside the pants and add fabric where one end of the ski lens case can enter.

Below is a ski pant turned inside out that I captured off youtube. The drawing is not very good. But the rectangular bit is a hole or slit in the inside pocket. Then I will tack on or sew an extended fabric into that hole for the lens case to enter (so that it fits and curves at the bottom of the pocket).

This way, I don't have to cut and sew the outer fabric of the pants. It would just be the inside part of the pants pocket or cargo pocket that will be cut and sewn. The hole won't be affected by water seepage as it's an inside fabric. I won't have to fiddle with seam seal.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IMO carrying anything in cargo pants pockets while skiing would be annoying, particularly something as large as a goggle lens case.

Totally agree. Tried carrying the cat tracks in the cargo pockets of my pants-it sucked much more than carrying them in the jacket pockets. Anything as large in the pockets feels restrictive to the movement of the legs and is annoying AF.
When I carry a spare lens, it is always in the goggle pocket of the jacket.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
1647310233673.png

...But seriously...you could ruin the pants and any warranty if you have one.

Why not try a fanny/hip pack under the jacket first if you're not comfortable using the jacket itself? downside seems lower trying that first than if the pant surgery fails.

Last edited:
TS
R

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
A lens case with a strap and buckle to wrap around the boot.

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid