• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Has anybody selected underfoot size based on foot width instead of resort conditions?

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
I wonder if the creator of the video thinks one edges the outside ski by everting the outside foot? That would lead to what he describes, especially if the boots aren't fitted just right. Don't evert that foot...roll it up on its inside edge. Instead lighten and invert the inside foot (roll it to its outside edge). Keep the outside leg and ankle straight and strong. Tilt the lower body to get the skis up on edge.

Here's Stefano Gross showing how it's done.
View attachment 149501

Think @Dr. Kim linked pronation with postural response and platform angle (for grip) through these 3 slides.

1638010988855.png

1638011123435.png

Rl5OgE.gif

Why give up platform angle (and grip) at the ankle?

Patrick Baetz shows how it's done.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
My question is about boot fit, also.

I agree with the observations made in the video, and with most of the conclusions. His diagram at the 1:51 point is clear and to the point. I differ with him on the effect of the sole of the foot on the tilting of the ski. My well fitted boots tilt the skis when I move my leg to an angle. I don't have room to move my foot inside the boot except for some slight flexibility in the footbed to allow for some pronation as the weight progresses from more on the toes at the beginning of the turn to about equal at the end of the turn. I don't tilt my skis with my 1st metatarsal joint--I tilt my skis my the movements of my legs.

If one's boots do not fit like an exoskeleton, if there is slop in them either from a loose fit or from soft shells, then yes, where the 1st met is located relative to the ski's edge may make a difference.

Here is more published by the National Institutes of Health detailing why wide skis on hard snow cause pain: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4541126/
For WIW, you tip your foot in the shell, the shell tips the ski... an accurately fitting boot eliminates lag and slop, but one's feet are never just along for the ride. :) (yes, and of course skiing isn't ONLY at the feet.. )

James

Out There
Instructor
. I differ with him on the effect of the sole of the foot on the tilting of the ski. My well fitted boots tilt the skis when I move my leg to an angle. I don't have room to move my foot inside the boot except for some slight flexibility in the footbed to allow for some pronation as the weight progresses from more on the toes at the beginning of the turn to about equal at the end of the turn. I don't tilt my skis with my 1st metatarsal joint--I tilt my skis my the movements of my legs.
It might just be language, but I think few would agree with you about just using the legs instead of feet > legs. Locking up the feet in the boots so they’re pieces of wood is not a good idea for reaction/balance/proprioception.

Sponsor

Staff online