• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
So I was looking into new helmets, and I came across some promotional materials for Giro helmets. They mentioned some testing which said the majority of warm air from goggles escapes through the top of the goggle, and so they've placed two big vents on the front of the helmet to help minimize fogging.

giro vents.jpg

I figured it was a bunch of marketing BS, until I looked at my own helmet. Similarly, the Smith Aspect has two vents, but the Silver smith logo makes the top left vent about half the size of the right:

smith vents.jpg

What's strange, is that's exactly where my goggles always fog.

At really cold temps, my goggles have a tendency to fog on the top left of the lens, right underneath the smaller vent.

I find the Smith Aspect to be an awesome helmet overall - lightweight, stylish, and really comfortable. But could it be a culprit of my occassional fogging problem? And has anyone noticed fogging improvement when they switched helmets?

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If the problem is the logo decal, could you peel it off, to enlarge the left side vent as well? And of course, if you are wearing anything underneath the helmet, make sure its not covering the top of the goggles.
I actually like the brim, for sun protection but also to keep falling snow from covering the top op the goggles, thereby restricting the goggles’ venting.

Or, adjust your helmet to fit on the back of your head:

ACD34AFB-B1F2-494F-9911-0C549B0B1CBB.jpeg

:golfclap::roflmao:

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Are the currently in vogue gigantic goggles fogging worse than old school medium sized goggles did? Stuff that goes down past your nose down to your mouth might be more exposed to breath than lenses that don't go down past your nose??

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
When I was skiing with glasses the fogging was a big problem. I used Smith Knowledge Turbo goggles with the fan; that worked well. When I bought a Smith helmet with the small brim and the vents at the top of the goggles I no longer needed to run the fan. Helmet vents in the right place work well. I think the fit of the goggles and helmet, and the design of the vents, matter more than the brand. One can always gently whittle away at the foam inside the helmet shell to adjust the vent size & position. Don't take away too much--that foam is the main thing to avoid a concussion.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Some notes from my experience with my Smith Variance helmet, and Anon M2 goggles...

-- I find my breath, even from my face mask, tends to just fog the outside of my goggles, which tends to clear quickly or can be wiped off
-- Fogging on the inside tends to be from the heat/moisture coming from my face itself rather than breath. The bottom of my goggles and my cheeks make a pretty good seal. YMMV. I do tend to be warm, so could get fogging.
-- I tend to only get fogging when I completely close the vents on my helmet... most goggles and helmet are set up to move are up out of the goggle and out the top of the helmet
-- Once I get fogging on the inside, which isn't often, it can be tough to get rid of - it seems to perpetuate itself

So, yeah, I'd say the helmet vents matter a lot in my experience. The few times I've dealt with fog, I have wondered about something like an ABOM goggle to clear it... but I really love my M2's.

coops

Getting on the lift
Skier
Smith Vantage is fabulous for keeping goggles fog free - it has wide slots at the small brim which seems to always allow or encourage air flow out of the top of the googles - and closing the main vents doesn't change the slots you see below... and those slots are pretty much directly over the top foamed edge of your goggles, much closer than that Giro in the first post.

Smith-Vantage-pano.jpg

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
And has anyone noticed fogging improvement when they switched helmets?

Bought a new helmet and my fogging got worse. My new helmet has two vents at the front similar to the OP pics shown while my old helmet did not. The scenario is this, I do natural and bumps trail when I start heating up and pick up some speed, the two vents causes an up draft, any warmth from the my face mask nose or mouth section get drawn upward and starts the fogging. Switch back to my old helmet for now while I'm trying to figure out how to fix this, either duct tape the vents or get a face mask that does a better job that outflow the heat..... so far, the duct tape sounds more attractive.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Try skiing without your face mask?......I am thinking maybe you might see a difference with the fogging.

If you are face mask wearer....get a PugSki buff and just wear it as it is intended. (Your mouth/nose/goggles will thank you)

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
I only use a face mask when it goes below freezing (temps + wind chill). Without the face mask, I have no problem with the fog and the new helmet. That's why I thinks its an updraft due to the front vents of new helmet.

Anything special about the PugSki buff? I hate buying something when it can be solved with duct tape (by plugging up the front vents).

Last edited:
Reactions: BC.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I only use a face mask when it goes below freezing (temps + wind chill). Without the face mask, I have no problem with the fog and the new helmet. That's why I thinks its an updraft due to the front vents of new helmet.

Anything special about the PugSki buff? I hate buying something when it can be solved with duct tape (by plugging up the front vents).

Nothing special....its just a buff which is designed to wear basically around the back of your head/neck under your helmet....and up over your chin, just below your mouth. Therefore no mouth/nose breathing up into/under your goggles......no fog up.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I REALLY dislike a buff over my nose and mouth. i tried it the other day because it was all I had, and it was horrible. It iced up really bad, making breathing very hard, and of course it felt very unpleasant tot have that wet, icy, hard thing on my face.

YMMV

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
If you want to fix fogging you have to go to the root of the problem. No face/head covering of any kind under goggle foam, no gap between foam and your nose, keeping your goggles on all the time outside so no moisture can get onto inside lens (either snow or vapor exiting your helmet from vents when you have goggle up) and enough ventilation for your exhale to completely exit even if it means cutting extra holes in your $75 balaclava.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
I produce huge amounts of steam, even with low levels of exertion, that has always caused my goggles to fog. I have tried almost evey combination of face mask/helmet/giggle and the only solution for me has been the fan driven Knowledge goggle by Smith.

coops

Getting on the lift
Skier
I REALLY dislike a buff over my nose and mouth. i tried it the other day because it was all I had, and it was horrible. It iced up really bad, making breathing very hard, and of course it felt very unpleasant tot have that wet, icy, hard thing on my face.

YMMV

A good balaclava is best - I used those Canadian masks before when caught out at Tremblant, the masks that have a velcro to wrap tight and have nose holes etc... but they did cause fogging... seemed to push your breath up through the goggle somehow...

The Dissent balaclava i got after that has been perfect... and somehow doesn't ice up at all despite no open 'blowholes' for mouth or nose. I think the stretch and close fit helps keep your breath out and googles clear... whatever, it works great with goggles happily on the balaclava material around the eyes.

https://www.dissentlabs.com/collections/all/products/milspec-balaclava

39997280001_77fa6a813c_c.jpg

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That Dissent balaclava looks nice.

I prefer a separate item to cover my face, that way when it’s not needed, I can remove it. I use both the ‘bandana style” that has no openings but hangs away from your face, or the pure face mask with nose and mouth openings. I manage without fogging using those.

I have two balaclavas with attached windstopper face masks, but really never use them, since it’s rare that I need the face mask all the time, and they fit is not great.

I was just posting my viewpoint about buffs, since many seem to like them, and I don’t.

Anyway, this is al off-topic, the thread is supposed to be about how helmet vents affect fogging, not about face coverings, that’s a separate issue.

coops

Getting on the lift
Skier
Anyway, this is al off-topic, the thread is supposed to be about how helmet vents affect fogging, not about face coverings, that’s a separate issue.

Absolutely... just had to say that balaclava works so well and is light enough to carry in a pocket just in case...

and the Smith Vantage is outstanding for goggle ( and general ) ventilation - make sure to close the helmet vents on a cold day or the brain freeze is fearsome....

And... if really, really desperate... the Julbo Aerospace goggle ( with a lens that can 'pop out' from the frame by 1cm or so ) would be an option, especially for tourers etc or those with humongously hot heads ogsmile

WEB_Image%20aerospace_j74031146_superflow%20-82621210.Jpeg