• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Have you put your boots on yet?

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Mmmm...snug. And my boot heater batteries were dead.
20211021_191719.jpg

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
No, but I assisted someone in trying on ski boots ... in a golf course parking lot.

And, on another occasion, I was seen driving a golf cart around the parking lot, holding skis out to the side.

Golfers who see I suck at golf may think my expertise is skiing. Hmmm ... maybe I should carry a 7-iron to the mountain this winter.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
May bother to walk around the residence with the boots on some when I actually see skiing starting. My small foot is a comfortable fit in Langes. This week pulled all my ski gear out of a closet while moving my summer gear in. Reading how Jilly washed her liners just motivated me to pull mine out of the Lange 2012 RS110SC that I've never bothered cleaning. A slight musky fragrance for someone, aka Mr Clean, that never has much food odor. So will wait till the next sunny day and hand wash them and the old nylon cork footbed gently with warm water and detergent in a 5 gal paint bucket then set them out in the sun so this season will be nicely fresh like a rose.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No apologies needed - Big Snow American Dream is closed through Halloween due to fire damage anyway. https://www.bigsnowamericandream.com/hours-directions/

I can now wear my boots for ~30 minutes without acute lingering pain so next month it's carpet skiing for me.

Around 30 minutes max now, yikes, I'm gonna say skip the oversized carpet belt treadmill toucher test and do the capital audio fest next month. I mean east coast early season powder days are a rarity, why rush it? Listen to your body, you'll know when you're ready to ski again.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yesterday, couldn't wait any longer. Got new skis out (Elan Ripstick 96 black, set forward pressure, AFD clearance, DIN and then put on my boots and release checked on the carpet. Then tuned, waxed and did my usual tune. Ready to go.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I got mine out in order to set up my bindings on the new skis last weekend, but I have not put them on my feet yet. I did however complain for multiple days to my wife that we really needed to take a road trip to our boot fitter and get a new set of touring liners for me. We might go in November.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
From February 2020 onwards I have only been doing some summer sessions at our local indoor slope. Summer sessions, because during winter, everything was closed due to Covid lockdowns. Usually, there are at most a few weeks between ski sessions, but the last year, the gaps were much greater.
After quite a few months without skiing, my feet had to really get used to being in ski boots again. I have to build the sessions up: first one hour, then two, etc. And much more than before the lockdown break, my feet get really tired when I'm on them all the time. Just the weight on my feet, never getting off them. I didn't have that problem before Covid... Not specific pressure points or something, fit seems to be the same. It's just that my feet hurt as if I have been on them for an entire day - that is the feeling after just an hour...

skinavy

Booting up
Skier
Not my regular boots, but I did get a new pair of touring boots, had those on for awhile, to the confused looks of my neighbors- man it's really nice to almost walk normally in those things! Definitely need to take them to my fitter for adjustments, though. If they feel good I may spring for the swap-out soles to use them in alpine bindings too (they're the Scarpas with lugged soles that you replace to use in alpine bindings.
Also been complaining to my wife that we really need to get the shifts mounted and new skins- I think she'll join the bandwagon when the calendar page flips (Oct is a sailing month, Nov is both sailing and skiing)

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Yes, I wash my liners along with all my suits in the spring. I take the liners out of the boots, remove the custom insole and wires for the Thermics. While the suits are washing, I put the liners in the sink that the water from the washing machine flows into. Just let them soak through the cycle. Rinse really well and put outside in the sunshine to dry. I have had to use my dry guy heaters to dry them sometimes. Once everything is really dry, like even a week later, thread the wires through the heel, place the footbed where is goes. Then I tape the wire up the back and to the buckle side. Give that a little heat from a hair dryer to set. Put liner back in shell.

Also clean the outside of the shell, because spring skiing is usually muddy!

All fresh and ready to go.

In a couple of weeks, I'll charge up the batteries.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
When did you move out of the Heads? Do I spy one gas pedal vs. two?
Fischer are on my short list for my next boot.
I got the Fischers towards the end of last season. Between the days in the boots and losing weight I was starting to swim in the Heads. Not a gas pedal, a cant. I like the Fischers, very light compared to the Raptors, a nice amount of toe room, and somewhat warmer.

Sponsor

Staff online