• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Head e.Rally / Fischer Dtx / Others...

Greeneee

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'm looking for a narrow edition to my quiver. And from a lot of review and forum trawling I think one of these two options may be the right choice:
- Fischer curv DTX (2021 - my price range)
- Head e.Rally (not sure how the models differ year to year since they changed from 'i' to 'e').

Current skis:
- Scott Slight 93 (2018)
- Bent Chetler 120 (2020)

My info:
180cm 72kg 25yo, buying in the UK.
Skiing since I was 4, qualified level 2 instructor in Japan (Scott's used for exams and teaching), season in France 2020 doing tech work and noticed a drop in my technical skiing. I'm hopefully heading to AUS next season to get lvl 3, but have another season in France coming up, so I'm looking for a piste performance ski that'll allow me to access that bit of extra umph and keep working on my technical ability.

Similarly to a teaching season, I'll mostly be skiing with people who don't ski at my level and so spend a lot of time on easier terrain and so I'd like the ski to be able to meander about and be able to relax a little at lesser speeds whilst also having the ability to exercise lots of turn shapes and rip it when I'm feeling it!

I hope there's not too many oxymoronic specifics I'm asking for

I've looked at and used high end skis (rossi hero elites) and whilst I think I can handle them, they're too demanding/heavy for all day skiing with some ripping and some relaxing.

If you can think of any other skis then please recommend away.

** I've also looked at dps cassiar 79 as they seem like my type of ski, but I can't find them for sale anywhere rn. I like the idea of simple construction, like the scotts' wood and carbon simplicity is just amazing to ski.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Head e.Magnum or e.Rally, Stockli SC or AX, Nordica Spitfire, Blizzard Thunderbird, and others of that ilk all seem like they would offer what you want.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome!
I've also looked at dps cassiar 79
Unfortunately DPS discontinued the fine 79. Another one to look into is the Blossom N°1 SC (shorter radius) or RC (a bit longer radius). The Blossom AM77, previously known as the White Out. The AM77 has characteristic reminiscent of the DPS 79 but maybe a bit wider envelope.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the Fischer Curv DTX in 178cm and I use it for coaching a youth ski race team. It works great for doing drills and is not a very demanding ski. It carves really well, in 178cm it is in the cheater GS category for turn shape. The next size down will be closer to a SL turn shape. It is very light and springy, so not tiring to ski all day. For something with that much edge grip, it is amazing light on your feet feeling. Its not race ski stiff, so its bendable into tight turns. It also has a variable radius, so press on the tips for shorter turns, keep weight more centered for longer turns. The Factory tune on the ski stopped short of the widest point near the shovel and I had to extend the tune toward the tip some more. That really improved the carving, so check that if you get the ski.

Other guys I coach with use the head rally and they ski really well also. You have two good options in my opinion.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Head added their Energy Management Circuit last year and claim better vibration damping, thus the e- prefix. My e- heads don't damp vibration any better than my Stockli Laser AX which is gimmick free.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Didn't somebody else do the electronic hocus pocus a few years ago? I consider it an insult to our intelligence.

TS
G

Greeneee

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I have the Fischer Curv DTX in 178cm and I use it for coaching a youth ski race team. It works great for doing drills and is not a very demanding ski. It carves really well, in 178cm it is in the cheater GS category for turn shape. The next size down will be closer to a SL turn shape. It is very light and springy, so not tiring to ski all day. For something with that much edge grip, it is amazing light on your feet feeling. Its not race ski stiff, so its bendable into tight turns. It also has a variable radius, so press on the tips for shorter turns, keep weight more centered for longer turns. The Factory tune on the ski stopped short of the widest point near the shovel and I had to extend the tune toward the tip some more. That really improved the carving, so check that if you get the ski.

Other guys I coach with use the head rally and they ski really well also. You have two good options in my opinion.

Thanks for the feedback, it's all helpful. I always get stuck in the researching skis phase before a season haha

But I'll maybe look to try these two out if I can find somewhere that stocks them once I'm out in France.

Thanks!

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Good write up! I definitely find my 177 i.Rally to be a better ski on-piste and for carving with a higher speed limit than my 177 e.Rally, although the e.Rally is better in soft snow and off-piste, as well as being more forgiving. Neither offer the quickness, rebound energy, or higher speed capability of something like the Rebel e.Race.

StephanS.

Booting up
Skier
Hi Cheizz,

thanks for your comparison of Head I-Rally vs. E-Rally on Giggiski.

As Ski Tests in Austria are cancelled again for this year, I need to refer to online tests to make my selection.

I was in love with the "old" I-Titan in 177m. It was energetic, predictable and had a lot of "pop" despite of it´s width --> perfect carving machine for my needs.

Since some time I´am searching for a proper replacement and none of the tested skis (tested before Corona) could come close to Head i-Titan performance.
I tested:
  • Rossignol Hero Elite Ti Pus 182cm --> slightly less pop, turn initiation not as quick as the i-Titan, much "more "ski - maybe 174cm would have been the better choice
  • Salomon S/Force 11 177cm --> just planky feeling and not energetic

Thus I´am now reconsidering to go back to Head again. However, dimensions have changed and I´am considering to go for the E-Rally instead of E-Titan. But when reading several reviews, it seems as also Head was cutting down the Rally and it´s not the carving machine as it was in the past.

Based on your experience,
  • will I be dissapointed form the Rally, if I enjoyed the old i-Titan?
  • Which size should I consider (I´am 178cm, 70kg)? I was very happy with 177cm i-Titan and there was no need for me to size down. However for the Head E-Rally the recommondation is to size down --> is 170cm the better choice? Normally I tend to the longer version...

Thanks Stephan

Last edited:

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Based on your experience,
  • will I be dissapointed form the Rally, if I enjoyed the old i-Titan?
  • Which size should I consider (I´am 178cm, 70kg)? I was very happy with 177cm i-Titan and there was no need for me to size down. However for the Head E-Rally the recommondation is to size down --> is 170cm the better choice? Normally I tend to the longer version...

Thanks Stephan
1. Yes. The new Rally doesn't have the pop of the old Titan.

Maybe the Salomon S/Force Bold?

StephanS.

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunatelly it´s not the feedback I was looking for, but I was expecting it already :cool: ....

For me Head really nailed it with the old i-Titan despite of it´s built quality (in my case delamination issues). I really was hoping the E-Rally could keep up with the i-Titan.

Do you really believe the Bold can be the Ski I´am looking for? I thought the Salomon S/Force 11 (which I tested) is more carving biassed than the Bold? I also enyojed the smaller radius of the Supershape i-Titan.
The next ski in my quiver is a Völkl Mantra and I really want to have a shorter turn radius for my pure front-side ski.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Current skis:
- Scott Slight 93 (2018)
- Bent Chetler 120 (2020)

My info:
180cm 72kg 25yo, buying in the UK.
Skiing since I was 4, qualified level 2 instructor in Japan (Scott's used for exams and teaching), season in France 2020 doing tech work and noticed a drop in my technical skiing. I'm hopefully heading to AUS next season to get lvl 3, but have another season in France coming up, so I'm looking for a piste performance ski that'll allow me to access that bit of extra umph and keep working on my technical ability.

Similarly to a teaching season, I'll mostly be skiing with people who don't ski at my level and so spend a lot of time on easier terrain and so I'd like the ski to be able to meander about and be able to relax a little at lesser speeds whilst also having the ability to exercise lots of turn shapes and rip it when I'm feeling it!

I've looked at and used high end skis (rossi hero elites) and whilst I think I can handle them, they're too demanding/heavy for all day skiing with some ripping and some relaxing.

People here are going to steer you toward various versions of "race carvers". Based on your own stated needs and experiences - e.g. Hero Elites being too much - you owe it to yourself to consider the Elan Wingman 82 CTi. It will carve like crazy, even at moderate speeds. It skis narrower than its waist width might suggest. It is accurate and grippy. However, it's also lightweight, affordable, and compliant. I'd think this would make a perfect technical teaching ski.