• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Head Formula boots, 21-22 season

Vendome1888

Booting up
Skier
as seen on the web:
"Head has a new narrow to medium fitting all-conditions boot derived from Raptor WRC called Formula. Available in both 98mm ("RS") and 100mm lasts, the Formula boots are fully customizable thanks to Liquid Fit liners and PU shells"

any info on the Formula boots available ? do they replace Nexos?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
as seen on the web:
"Head has a new narrow to medium fitting all-conditions boot derived from Raptor WRC called Formula. Available in both 98mm ("RS") and 100mm lasts, the Formula boots are fully customizable thanks to Liquid Fit liners and PU shells"

any info on the Formula boots available ? do they replace Nexos?

They replace the Raptor RS boots. If they ski anything like the WCR, they'll be excellent.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Andy Mink tried one on. He is skiing a Raptor now.
The Formula has a more generous toe box than the RS140. Initial thoughts were I could ski it right out of the box though I didn't get that opportunity. I'm sure I'd want to custom fit it but it wasn't bad. It felt softer inside than my Raptor. To be fair, the Raptors have about 200 days on them and are getting a bit packed out.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
The toe box is much better. :)

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Now if Salomon would sort out their S Pro series toe boxes....

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
This is a positive trend in the industry.
Did you notice that the heel extends pretty much the very back of the heel lug? Moving the foot aft on the boot sole is interesting, and along with the new plastic and changed hinge point locations explains the difference in flex/feel. But a 27 is still a one finger fit for me, but no toe box grinding was required.
:golfclap:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Did you notice that the heel extends pretty much the very back of the heel lug? Moving the foot aft on the boot sole is interesting, and along with the new plastic and changed hinge point locations explains the difference in flex/feel. But a 27 is still a one finger fit for me, but no toe box grinding was required.
Some of the thinner plastics are helping here too. Some of the Atomic boots, the 25.5 is 290mm, 26.5 300mm. G'job @onenerdykid

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Now if Salomon would sort out their S Pro series toe boxes....
Interesting you say this. I just picked up a pair of S/Pro 130 HV and the only real mod I needed after heat molding was a punch on the outer side of the toe box area to release a hot spot on my big toe and little toe knuckle. With that mod boots fit great, without it I would have had some problems. Skiing them for the first time tomorrow :)

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Some of the thinner plastics are helping here too. Some of the Atomic boots, the 25.5 is 290mm, 26.5 300mm. G'job @onenerdykid

Can't say the plastic in the WCR is particularly thin though. :)

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Interesting you say this. I just picked up a pair of S/Pro 130 HV and the only real mod I needed after heat molding was a punch on the outer side of the toe box area to release a hot spot on my big toe and little toe knuckle. With that mod boots fit great, without it I would have had some problems. Skiing them for the first time tomorrow :)

It's the chiseled lateral side of the toe box that makes no sense. It takes some gymnastics to correct for anyone with a relatively square fore foot. . I've probably changed the shape of about a half dozen pairs of them.

Last edited:

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
It's the chiseled lateral side of the toe box that makes no sense. It takes some gymnastics to correct. I've probably changed the shape of about a half dozen pairs of them.
I actually only needed the tweak on my right boot, though maybe I will be back for a tweak to the left after skiing it.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bike shoes went through the bigger toe box arc some time ago, when everybody realized that tight toes didn't really add a lick to actual performance.

Glad to see ski boots doing the same.

I'm loving my Hawx Ultras, but admit to occasionally missing the unrivaled performance of my Raptors, so a few questions:

1. Any improvement in cold weather removal?

2. Are the "softer inside" liners any warmer?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
1. Any improvement in cold weather removal?

2. Are the "softer inside" liners any warmer?
I don't know and I sure hope so!

Kirkwood

Chief Slinky Detangler
Skier

I’ve been skiing the RS140 for the past 4 seasons. Best boot I’ve ever owned but they’re getting tired. Is the new plastic and changed hinge point making the boot feel stiffer or softer?

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
When can we expect availability? Any place selling them now?

The WCR's are available, though very few will be in store stock at the moment. The Formula boots aren't out to the best of my knowledge. I'd expect late Sept to mid Oct when you'll see them at retail shops.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I’ve been skiing the RS140 for the past 4 seasons. Best boot I’ve ever owned but they’re getting tired. Is the new plastic and changed hinge point making the boot feel stiffer or softer?

The WCR 3 is the replacement for the B3. Both are stiffer than the RS 140, which isn't super stiff. Odd though, I have no trouble bending the WCR 3 vs. the B3 which I cut and softened a bit for my need for a boot that works both on piste and highly variable off piste conditions at both demo and free skiing speeds. All this is highly personal preference though. The cut B3 with only the bottom pin in is still stiffer than an RS 140 with all the pins in. The WCR is similar to the cut B3.

20210519_102640.jpg

L to R: rs 140, B3, WCR 3.... aside from liner heights (the 140 is the Head injected foam liner), interesting that the booster strap is higher on the WCR, and that the cuff of the B3 and WCR's are a bit higher than the 140.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online