• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Head Monster 98 (184cm)

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Ok, I'll wait - reluctantly.

To be brief, the edge grip on the 93 is much stronger than the Soul 7. Haven't been on the 105 yet, but would expect the same regarding firm snow performance.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
To be brief, the edge grip on the 93 is much stronger than the Soul 7. Haven't been on the 105 yet, but would expect the same regarding firm snow performance.

I have skied 3 or 4 runs on the Head Kore 93 in a 180cm and loved it. I might be buying Kore 93 next year instead of my original plan of getting a Nordica Enforcer 93 next season. I also skied a Kore 105 (not sure what length) for a couple of groomer runs and I did not like it as it didn't offer the same stability and tracking as the 93. I am not great at angulation so it may be more about me and my skiing style than the ski.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just skied the 105..it is a Rev105 reincarnated in a modern design.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

As in this Rev 105? Now I do need to try the Kore.
IMG_20170203_123732934.jpg

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Umm...say a little more? For those of us who have the Rev105 and like it as a surfier all-mountain ski that rocks in bumps and carves like a 90-something, what improvements or advantages are there to the Kore 105?

TS
Alexzn

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I remember not liking the Rev series as it felt like it had too much tip for my taste. Is that still the case with the Kore series? I am curious to get on the demo of course.

Sierrajim

Ski Savant
Industry Insider
The Kore 105 is close to 10mm narrower at the tip than the Rev 105 was. The widest part is also set well back from the tip so I'd suspect that the Kore will eliminate the sidecut bias that the Revs exhibited.

SJ

TS
Alexzn

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Jim-

Is the visual resemblance of the Kore tip to a DPS style tip shape just a figment of my imagination, or is the industry adopting some of those design elements on a wider scale?

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
The Kore 105 is close to 10mm narrower at the tip than the Rev 105 was. The widest part is also set well back from the tip so I'd suspect that the Kore will eliminate the sidecut bias that the Revs exhibited.

SJ

.... and that, IMHO, is a very good thing.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Jim-

Is the visual resemblance of the Kore tip to a DPS style tip shape just a figment of my imagination, or is the industry adopting some of those design elements on a wider scale?

It is indeed a 5-point design. Adapting on a wider scale? Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps a trend within a trend.

Sierrajim

Ski Savant
Industry Insider
Yep, 5 point it is although a very modest version of same. Certainly not new, even in narrower skis. The Dynastar Powertrac and Glory skis utilized this shape as do some of their newer ones.

Have to give Head credit where due. The Kore skis do not appear to be cookie cutters of one another and although the shapes are very subtle, it appears that each has it's own distinct variation of said 5 point design. (As it should be IMO)

I sorta gots a feeling these are gonna be good

SJ

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yep, 5 point it is although a very modest version of same. Certainly not new, even in narrower skis. The Dynastar Powertrac and Glory skis utilized this shape as do some of their newer ones.

Have to give Head credit where due. The Kore skis do not appear to be cookie cutters of one another and although the shapes are very subtle, it appears that each has it's own distinct variation of said 5 point design. (As it should be IMO)

I sorta gots a feeling these are gonna be good

SJ
They are. I skied all of them. I have reviews sitting, wating to be finished. So many balls in the air at this point.

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Great review Alex!
love the turn of phrase, like, "devilishly clever", crossed with you systematic analysis.

I've always been drawn to the monster 98, as a more approachable version of my 1st or 2nd favorite ski of all time, mx98 in a 174. I think that ski in a 177 could be great for me.
Of course, I've become awfully attached to my other 1st or 2nd favorite ski of all, the "Devilishly clever" fx95 and am well bonded to how it creates room for extra playfulness.

Seems this new Kore 93 is targeting the fx95 and trying to get some of the clever playfulness.

Good read in this thread, thx gents.

Cheers!
Wade

Comish

Putting on skis
Skier
Where was the demo Monster 98 pair mounted?

I have a pair of 184's. Like them a lot. I'm 5'9", 160 and my only complaint is that with the turny for me radius, if I'm going mach schnell, they have a feeling like they could just bang out a short carve making me a bit nervous my knee will be left behind. They are smooth and damp like I was looking for, but still not quite as stable as the old 186cm, 97mm underfoot Legend Pro which has been my go-to for ever. I mounted them +1.5 and am thinking of moving them back a cm to see if that will calm that tip down a bit for high speed run outs. Think Mammoth ch23 run outs.

My other ski in this realm is the green '13 Stockli Stormrider 95. These are also smooth and damp, but the least stable of the 3 for this kid.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
possibility #1: you must be an über mensch if a 184 monster for your 160 frame feels it's not enough. A friend who's an ex-USST cross skier rides a 177. He rips and is about the same size, could ski a 184, but doesnt as the local hill gets a bit tight in places. Never once have heard him say they're anything less than rock solid.

Possibility #2, your pair is edge high. The current monster 84 isn't for a moment a ski I'd worry about hooking up and leaving a knee behind.

Possibility 3, they did make a few pairs of 191's. Maybe that's what you need.

Comish

Putting on skis
Skier
Definitely not #3. Possibly #2? Keep in mind my local hill is pretty large and wide open so easy to cruise.

Re:: #3, I love the length. Think its perfect. 90% of the time the ski is perfect. Arcs awesome turns, its that 10% time when I'm really moving and making 35m radius turns that it can feel a bit unnerving.

It is a totally stable, smooth ski. I think its possibly #2 or possibly the fact that it has a bunch more sidecut 135-98-120 w/ its 23m radius versus the 29m radius of the old skool Legend Pro 124-97-116 that is my baseline. That 135mm tip just feels like it will turn a lot more abruptly than the 124mm tip of the LP. When going fast that feeling is a bit disconcerting. Still smooth and not flappy or chattering, just a quicker turner me thinks?

Sooo, was toying with moving from +1.5 to +.5 or so to see what that does. Crazy idea?

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Definitely not #3. Possibly #2? Keep in mind my local hill is pretty large and wide open so easy to cruise.

Re:: #3, I love the length. Think its perfect. 90% of the time the ski is perfect. Arcs awesome turns, its that 10% time when I'm really moving and making 35m radius turns that it can feel a bit unnerving.

It is a totally stable, smooth ski. I think its possibly #2 or possibly the fact that it has a bunch more sidecut 135-98-120 w/ its 23m radius versus the 29m radius of the old skool Legend Pro 124-97-116 that is my baseline. That 135mm tip just feels like it will turn a lot more abruptly than the 124mm tip of the LP. When going fast that feeling is a bit disconcerting. Still smooth and not flappy or chattering, just a quicker turner me thinks?

Sooo, was toying with moving from +1.5 to +.5 or so to see what that does. Crazy idea?
I think its a very good idea. Moving them back will give you relatively more graduated and less immediate turning because you will be initiating the sidecut more and the shovel less. So they may very likely feel like they ease into a turn a bit more.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid