• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Head Monster 98 (184cm)

TS
Alexzn

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I bet my demo Monsters were mounted on the factory line, I'd let SierraJim chime in, as those were his demos. Old Legend Pro- I skied it, and I actually still own the last LegendPro (which is sadly not nearly as powerful as the original one).

Take a look at the current Dynastar ProRider, which looks to be a 192 only re-issue of the Pro Rider 105. If that ski is not stable enough, I don't know what is. I suspect this is literally what Dynastar Freeride World Tour athletes ski on. 105 in 184 was an awesome ski, I wish I had bought it.

Head A-Star- I have only seen that ski at Squaw on the feet of JT Holmes. By visual account it works well for him. He used to be skiing a ProRider XXL as I remember. He is not my ski buddy (alas:), so I have no idea what he thinks of it.

Comish

Putting on skis
Skier
I bet my demo Monsters were mounted on the factory line, I'd let SierraJim chime in, as those were his demos. Old Legend Pro- I skied it, and I actually still own the last LegendPro (which is sadly not nearly as powerful as the original one).

Take a look at the current Dynastar ProRider, which looks to be a 192 only re-issue of the Pro Rider 105. If that ski is not stable enough, I don't know what is. I suspect this is literally what Dynastar Freeride World Tour athletes ski on. 105 in 184 was an awesome ski, I wish I had bought it.

Head A-Star- I have only seen that ski at Squaw on the feet of JT Holmes. By visual account it works well for him. He used to be skiing a ProRider XXL as I remember. He is not my ski buddy (alas:), so I have no idea what he thinks of it.

Yeah the last Legend Pro was a completely different ski. I think it was a 184cm and sadly completely neutered from the original 186cm.

Yeah, wish they were making new ProRider in a midget size. I know the 192 is too big for this kid. Thx.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
The 192 LP 105 is in a class by itself, they used a gawd damned oak core in the things. Not maple, not birch, OAK!!!!

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
The 192 LP 105 is in a class by itself, they used a gawd damned oak core in the things. Not maple, not birch, OAK!!!!

Get hard or go home! ogsmile

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
The next gen. Monsters will in fact have slightly more tip rise and about 10% softer flex. I just skied a new 88 yesterday and will post up a review after a couple more rides today. Watch for "Triple HEADer" coming soon to a blog near you.

Looking forward to your review(s).

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier

SJ - PugSki s actually the first blog of any sort that I have spent any time with. Still feeling my way around and tend to miss some important wisdom like your Triple Header thread. Appreciate your patience.
I have been contemplating a "crazy 88" ski and had narrowed it down to the '17/'18 model Monster 88 and Blizzard Brahma. I want an 85-90 all mountain ski that can reasonably handle conditions like you experienced at SIA Demo days at Copper (assuming you went) plus do the job in a variety of other conditions. We get more of those crusty days at Copper than you might expect.
So, you absolutely hit the nail on the head when you wrote that the Monster 88 is better on those conditions than the Brahma (metal) and you saved me some demo $$$'s. You read my mind.
Be glad that I don't live in Tahoe lest I hang out at your store every day talking shop. Thanks for getting back to me.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Alexzn

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Monster vs Brahma: All depends on how you ski. If your turns are race-like with a lot of tip pressure, you will like the Monster more, if you are a more "modern" skier used to skiing rockered skis, Brahma will be better. In my book Brahma is just a little more versatile than the M88, which has a more limited use envelope (but inside it is does it really well).

JShort

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Alexzn or maybe @Philpug or anyone else that has skied both, could I have an elevator cage match of the 184 monster 98 and the 184 old cambered mantra (98 waist also). I was able to pick up both from garage sales in good condition, but have to decide which ones to mount...

I've actually skied both but several years apart with very different skiing styles

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Alexzn or maybe @Philpug or anyone else that has skied both, could I have an elevator cage match of the 184 monster 98 and the 184 old cambered mantra (98 waist also). I was able to pick up both from garage sales in good condition, but have to decide which ones to mount...

I've actually skied both but several years apart with very different skiing styles
Wow. The Monster might be a tad more traditional and hard snow biased of these two? Maybe a tad. Really close though.

JShort

Getting off the lift
Skier
It's surprising that the Monster 98s are still a few hundred grams heavier than the old Mantras. But everything else is very similar on paper. I'll probably end up keeping both

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
It's surprising that the Monster 98s are still a few hundred grams heavier than the old Mantras. But everything else is very similar on paper. I'll probably end up keeping both
If it were me, I'd mount the Monsters. But then I think the old monster (the first version of the new generation) are some of the best skis ever made. I still ski regularly on an old Monster 83 (what 7 or 8 years old now?) that are technically my rock skis. But every time I am on them I am like, damn these are just so smooth and compliant . . . .

James

Out There
Instructor
I wasn’t gaga over the 88 over several days. It was just an ok workhorse.
2A22FBCB-4223-493B-93C8-DCBE8B010E5A.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online