• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Head Raptor WCR 120 - Any thoughts?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Narrower heel pocket. Instep probably a bit lower, but higher than the old Raptors.

Bustedchopz

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
WCR 93mm version should fit the bill in your case. These two boots happen to be the two that I ski. I needed a lower profile foot bed in the WCR Raptors due to the lower instep height.

Floyd47

Putting on skis
Skier
WCR 93mm version should fit the bill in your case. These two boots happen to be the two that I ski. I needed a lower profile foot bed in the WCR Raptors due to the lower instep height.
Thanks for the info. Are you saying you ski both the 93mm Raptors and Lange RX/RS LV? So the instep height in the 93mm raptor vs the Lange was noticeably lower?

TS
A

ariesl

Booting up
Skier
Amazing boot. I was jist thinking about how good its been this season, especially with how often ive been skiing slow (kid coaching and kid skiing). And if you're finding it too soft, can always pop the extra rivet in...
I received my boots today. Fits great. But spoilers are missing in the package. Did yours come with spoilers?

Bustedchopz

Skier
Thanks for the info. Are you saying you ski both the 93mm Raptors and Lange RX/RS LV? So the instep height in the 93mm raptor vs the Lange was noticeably lower?
That's right. I have the Lange Rx LV and Raptor WCR(both in size 265) and the Raptor 93mm is lower

Floyd47

Putting on skis
Skier
That's right. I have the Lange Rx LV and Raptor WCR(both in size 265) and the Raptor 93mm is lower
Thanks for the info. Do you ski the stock liner in both? I tried on a Lange ZJ+ this week and the instep height seemed much better for me, although I’m not sure I could go much lower. I get too much movement in the RX LV stock liner.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Thanks for the info. Do you ski the stock liner in both? I tried on a Lange ZJ+ this week and the instep height seemed much better for me, although I’m not sure I could go much lower. I get too much movement in the RX LV stock liner.

The Lange race liner is a better quality liner than the RX liners.

Bustedchopz

Skier
Raptor WCR4 with Zipfit corsa (low vol version) and thin foot bed
Lange Rx130 LV with an older high vol Zipfit (equivalent to the Freeride I think) and standard foot bed
...as a more meaningful comparison, I have trouble buckling the shell of the Raptor loaded with the higher volume Zipfits and footbed.

bluefish

Booting up
Skier
Just got some WCR 140S boots for a giveaway price. My Speedmachine boots have a lot of space in them and a dead feel to them. Will need some grinding to make room in the forefoot. Will also need to thin my masterfits to get them in there. Looking forward to a more responsive feel in these boots. Always have felt like my left heel is not sitting g flat in the boot. Like it grabs me slightly above on the inside of my left heel. Also have long had a line running up underside of my left foot straight into the left ring finger toe. Gets numb and hurts. Right foot sits down in there pretty well despite being the wider foot. Can't wait for these boots next fall.

arildGFB

Putting on skis
Skier
I also ordered 140s for next season at a low low price. As mentioned further back in this thread, the shell fit just works, so I'm trying lange plug liners in 26.5s, then zip Corsas (last seasons) in the 27.5s, then send back the fit that won't work. No way in hell I get the Corsas in the 26.5 shell without significant pain.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I also ordered 140s for next season at a low low price. As mentioned further back in this thread, the shell fit just works, so I'm trying lange plug liners in 26.5s, then zip Corsas (last seasons) in the 27.5s, then send back the fit that won't work. No way in hell I get the Corsas in the 26.5 shell without significant pain.
I'm also confused, and don't see an earlier comment that would explain.

I have a pair of WCR 140 25.5 and I am using a Zipfit Corsa 26.5 (Dec 2022) in them with no problem. The new Corsas, as I've described elsewhere, are a different last and therefore run a bit smaller. I was really cramped in the toebox -- for the record, I wear a 10.5 shoe -- and even though it's neoprene, it was uncomfortable. I simply sized up to 26.5 and it solved the problem. The 25.5 Head shell fits me really well, after a bit of tweaking at the bootfitter.

I've pumped a lot of cork into the liners, but that is because they come bone-dry. I finally put some serious time on them at Brighton/Solitude earlier this month and I absolutely love them. Getting rid of all my other boots. So responsive and with great suspension.

arildGFB

Putting on skis
Skier

I have a pair of WCR 140 25.5 and I am using a Zipfit Corsa 26.5 (Dec 2022) in them with no problem. The new Corsas, as I've described elsewhere, are a different last and therefore run a bit smaller. I was really cramped in the toebox -- for the record, I wear a 10.5 shoe -- and even though it's neoprene, it was uncomfortable. I simply sized up to 26.5 and it solved the problem. The 25.5 Head shell fits me really well, after a bit of tweaking at the bootfitter.

I've pumped a lot of cork into the liners, but that is because they come bone-dry. I finally put some serious time on them at Brighton/Solitude earlier this month and I absolutely love them. Getting rid of all my other boots. So responsive and with great suspension.
Oh, I may have omitted a few things. My feet are 274/278mm l/r for length,FWIW.

1) skied the Corsa 92s in Dobermanns(26.5) this season. Dobermanns fit well, but not great. My toes did not agree with the toe box, but made it work somehow.

2) tried on wcr140s 26.5 with my worn in Corsas, they tried to pry the shells open, no real option of getting them closed. No extra cork in the tongues for that experiment. Great shell fit, though, but as i couldn't get the liners to work, and the originals felt atrocious in comparison, I sent them back.

3) I love the Corsas, so would prefer to keep skiing them, but the shells need to allow that much volume over the instep.

4) bought a pair of closeout Rossi ZEs(equivalent of usd75), and while the shells will need some work to fit( mostly grinding for bunions and sixth met) and lugs ground, the overall fit is really nice. The liners feel great, too, and just for fun tried putting them in my dobies to see what they'd feel like, and got just enough room that I could buckle them an extra notch, compared to the same shells with Corsas inside.

5) ordered 26.5 and 27.5 wcr140s to see if either would feel better, with the plug liners in the 26s and the Corsas in the 27s. Keeping the combo that feels best, and I have a strong hunch it's going to be the 26/plug combo.

(I don't live anywhere near a fitter)

bluefish

Booting up
Skier

My Heads are 140s as well. Are you suggesting the 26.5 for everyone or just what you did?

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My Heads are 140s as well. Are you suggesting the 26.5 for everyone or just what you did?
No, definitely not suggesting that for everyone! Only passing along the info that I was able to size up in the Corsa liner with no issues (25.5 WCR 140 shells and 26.5 Corsa liners). I did this because the new Corsa liner runs shorter than my other Zipfit liner and was uncomfortably tight in the toe box. By comparison, my other boots that I spent a lot of time on this winter were 25.5 Head Formulas with 25.5 Zipfit World Cup Sidewinders. In those, my toes have plenty of room.

Are these the new Corsas with replaceable tongues and new, thin laces?
Exactly. These are the newest version.

arildGFB

Putting on skis
Skier
@salvatore I might've been preemptively ruling out my 92s in 26.5s, as, except hot spots between the malleolus and bottom of my heels, they actually feel quite nice. No such hot spots in the stock liners. So, the plan is to keep the 26.5s, ski the stock liners until they die, and work out why I get those hot spots in the zipfits. 27.5s were revelations in living room comfort, also heel lift in abundance, so they're going back. Holy crap, those shells feel nice.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't think it's uncommon to have hot spots in Zipfits, especially the leather-lined models, until they break in a bit. I spent a lot of time wearing mine around the house before I ever took them on the snow, and this alleviated any issues for me.

Sponsor

Staff online