• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Head Raptor WCR 120 - Any thoughts?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I haven't heard anything negative unless too much liquid was injected. Our rep uses it. I have a kit that I'll try out for fun next week.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I certainly wouldn't want a plug boot if I only planned on skiing with 1 pair . I also use the new dalbello drs wc s plug boot . 2 different animals .

I ski the WCR 3 plug... all day, no pain, no problem, all performance. I teach/coach and free ski in them as well. On snow at least 5 days a week.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Speaking of 140 Raptors-someone pls school me on LiquidFit. Is it absolutely necessary for the shop/fitter to carry them fancy injections and stuff so they can do the fitting or can you just heat mold them and be good to go?

Or you could leave the liner in the box and just slip in the Zipfit Gara LV Race (leather lined). It’s grippy & very nice.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The new Zipfit Gara LV and HV models are neoprene. Conversely, the World Cup Sidewinder and Corsa models are leather, with the Corsa being all leather and the WCSW being leather with a neoprene tongue.

I have the WCR 140s with the new Zipit Corsa liners. I highly recommend the combo. If they are too stiff, just have your bootfitter (or you can do it yourself if you are so inclined) soften them. Not difficult to do.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
The new Zipfit Gara LV and HV models are neoprene. Conversely, the World Cup Sidewinder and Corsa models are leather, with the Corsa being all leather and the WCSW being leather with a neoprene tongue.

I have the WCR 140s with the new Zipit Corsa liners. I highly recommend the combo. If they are too stiff, just have your bootfitter (or you can do it yourself if you are so inclined) soften them. Not difficult to do.

Actually as I stated you can get the Gara LV in leather lined (all but the tongue). It’s limited availability, but if you know where to look they are available. I’ve got several sets sitting here. It’s a nice in between the Corsa & Sidewider.
D1574348-26D1-450F-AFBB-9C5A119E8EB5.jpeg

Last edited:

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry, I stand corrected. I knew that a leather Gara was available in the past, but did not know there was a way to still acquire them.

My thought was that if the op went to Zipfit's website, he wouldn't see a leather Gara version available. Are the ones you show NOS?

eok

Slopefossil
Skier

I've been skiing WCR 140s for a few years & love them. I ski them with the spine bolts at the 130 flex position. I'm at a point where I'd like a bit softer flex - like 120 or so.

Could you describe how you soften the WCR 140s to a 120 flex?

Is it a matter of just removing the flex bolts on the boot spines (and, is that safe to do with WCRs)?

Or is trimming the clog's upper required? I've had some Rossignol/Lange boots in the past that had a molded-in line that ran about an inch or so from the clog's upper edge. You trim along that line to soften the overall flex. Same kind of thing for WCRs?

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No, it's definitely not a good idea to remove both bolts. You should always keep at least one bolt inserted.

Head's newest version of the WCR 140S is 140 flex with one bolt inserted, 150 flex with two bolts installed. Your version, I believe, is 130 with one bolt, 140 with two.

To soften them, it takes a bit of trimming. This video is the best one I've found showing how to perform the "operation." Hope it is helpful!

Reactions: eok

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Sorry, I stand corrected. I knew that a leather Gara was available in the past, but did not know there was a way to still acquire them.

My thought was that if the op went to Zipfit's website, he wouldn't see a leather Gara version available. Are the ones you show NOS?

Not everything revolves around the American marketplace. Although there is a dealer stateside that brings them in. :)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
To soften them, it takes a bit of trimming. This video is the best one I've found showing how to perform the "operation." Hope it is helpful!

I used this video's instructions to soften a pair of boots (not Raptors) several years ago.

It was easy and effective.

It did take a little time and patience.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
FWIW I don't think @chris_the_wrench had a very positive experience with the liquid fit approach. Maybe he'll chime in.

I was NOT a fan of the liquidfit liners that came in my raptors 140 pros. I found the material settled lower(gravity)in the liners overnight, so it took a run or two everyday for the material to move back where I wanted it. I also had one liner spring a leak. Head warrantied them right away. I think the shell width in the heel pocket was too wide for me, and alot of the liquid fit was added to try and resolve that issue. If someone had a tighter shell fit it may not require as much liquid fit and not have the issues i did???

I skied those boots for 2.5 years before they cracked, but I used Zipfit liners for the most part.

Csr_jr

Booting up
Skier
I've had both the Formula 130 and the Raptor wcr 120.

The Formulas were ever really a fit. Too much space around the ankle, but I insisted on trying them lol (Bootfitter: "You're not gonna like it." Me: "Let's try it!")

I use the liquid fit both times, but still wound up needing some retention pads. I liked the edge to edge of the Formulas and the flex and power transmission was not bad for a grilamid type boot.

Switched to the 120 Raptors and man! Love real plastic!! The flex is so nice, smooth, progressive and no dead spot at the end like the heat moldable shells. Really skis smooth. I can't ski very fast any more, mostly SL skis and coaching, so leave the flex around 120 (6'1" 210lbs).
I may pop in the 2nd rivet next year, as I've started locking down the boots a bit more as I recover/strengthen.

But I can't say enough about how accessible the new raptor wcr boots are for free skiing and general use. Great rebound, sucks up the static in nad snow or bumpy surprises. Warm too, like quite warm and pain free skiing.

But liquid fit didn't provide enough heel hold for me - but wouldn't trade these new boots, nope.

TS
A

ariesl

Booting up
Skier
I've had both the Formula 130 and the Raptor wcr 120.

The Formulas were ever really a fit. Too much space around the ankle, but I insisted on trying them lol (Bootfitter: "You're not gonna like it." Me: "Let's try it!")

I use the liquid fit both times, but still wound up needing some retention pads. I liked the edge to edge of the Formulas and the flex and power transmission was not bad for a grilamid type boot.

Switched to the 120 Raptors and man! Love real plastic!! The flex is so nice, smooth, progressive and no dead spot at the end like the heat moldable shells. Really skis smooth. I can't ski very fast any more, mostly SL skis and coaching, so leave the flex around 120 (6'1" 210lbs).
I may pop in the 2nd rivet next year, as I've started locking down the boots a bit more as I recover/strengthen.

But I can't say enough about how accessible the new raptor wcr boots are for free skiing and general use. Great rebound, sucks up the static in nad snow or bumpy surprises. Warm too, like quite warm and pain free skiing.

But liquid fit didn't provide enough heel hold for me - but wouldn't trade these new boots, nope.
Sounds great! Thanks for your story! Based on your description, I think the 120 flex should work well for me. Headracingcanada offers 24% off for Raptor WCR120. I'm placing the order. :)

Csr_jr

Booting up
Skier
Amazing boot. I was jist thinking about how good its been this season, especially with how often ive been skiing slow (kid coaching and kid skiing). And if you're finding it too soft, can always pop the extra rivet in...

Bustedchopz

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
The Raptor 140 will have exactly the same fit as the 120 provided they are in the same ‘generation’. From 2021, the Raptors changed their last (longer than the previous).

The current (2021-present) Raptor series are divided into the WCR (93mm last) and WCR S (96mm last). Both groups come in a range of flex ratings:
Raptor WCR1, 93mm last, 160/170 flex
Raptor WCR2, 93mm last, 150/160 flex
Raptor WCR3, 93mm last, 140/150 flex
…and so on to the Raptor WCR6, 93mm last, 80/90 flex

Raptor WCR 140S, 96mm last, 140/150 flex
Raptor WCR 140S Pro Race (same as above but black colour & different strap)
Raptor WCR 120S, 96mm last, 120/130 flex

I ski the WCR 4 on the 93mm last with no shell modifications. I don’t need a plug boot for performance but I do for the narrow fit. Ironically, my previous generation Raptor 140 (2018/19) was the 96mm last but needed a punch for the big toes due to the shorter last of its era

James

Out There
Instructor
They are indeed longer. I have an older Head B3 in 27, and can probably go to a WCR in a 26.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Heel counter is aft compared to the old boots. Toe box is much more generous, which is lovely!

arildGFB

Putting on skis
Skier
Could anyone tell me if the added bolt (not rivet!) makes the "130" flex of the WCR 120s comparable to, say, Dobermann GP 130s? I don't "need" stiffer than the Dobies, but shell fitting the stiffer 140s felt really nice (10mm shell), and I like the power strap of the bigger brother, but will never need to bump the flex up to 150, and I could well live with the 120's ordinary static powerstrap.

Floyd47

Putting on skis
Skier
Does anyone know how does the heel pocket and instep height of the WCR 140S / 120S would compare to a Lange RX LV boot? Or how the instep height on the smaller last WCR 3/4 would compare to the Lange RX LV?

I have Lange RX LV boots and they have too much room over the instep. Probably need a slightly narrower heel pocket as well.

Sponsor

Staff online