• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Head rebels e-race pro vs Atomic x9s

Dfish

Putting on skis
Skier
Hi all, I'd appreciate some input as I haven't skied the x9s.

I'm looking for a fun, mid radius piste ski (14-15ish m). I'm 174cm/64kg , former FIS ski racer.

I demoed a 170mm Head rebels E-race Pro last year and it was amazing, the most fun ski I've been on for just laying down arcs. I wanted to try an x9s, but I could only get in a rental x9wb, and it was not at all what I was looking for.

Many people, including those at the shop I'm buying from love the x9s (they haven't skied the E-race, to be fair), but I'm hesitant to commit since I did enjoy the E-race pro so much.

Seems like I probably can't go wrong with either, but I would love any insights

Peb75

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
You should also consider the Fischer RC4 CT and the Rossignol Master LT if you dont mind the longer radius.
They are both very popular skis.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I demoed a 170mm Head rebels E-race Pro last year and it was amazing, the most fun ski I've been on for just laying down arcs.
Honestly, what more are you expecting? It sounds like you struck oil with a fantastic ski. Get it, ski and have even more fun.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I agree with Phil, you hit pay dirt already.

If it will re-assure you some, in my experience, the X9 for most is not the ski the eSpeed (including the eRace) skis are, not as dialed in, to me.
(And I say this loving as tops the Atomic FIS GS and SL skis, over the FIS Heads.)

TS
Dfish

Dfish

Putting on skis
Skier
Honestly, what more are you expecting? It sounds like you struck oil with a fantastic ski. Get it, ski and have even more fun.
I don't drop 1k on skis very often anymore, and the shop also bringing up the x9s just had me wondering what others experiences are with the two.

I was sold on E-Race Pro, and think think the replies in this thread helped confirm that choice. Thanks all, put in the order!

TS
Dfish

Dfish

Putting on skis
Skier
I agree with Phil, you hit pay dirt already.

If it will re-assure you some, in my experience, the X9 for most is not the ski the eSpeed (including the eRace) skis are, not as dialed in, to me.
(And I say this loving as tops the Atomic FIS GS and SL skis, over the FIS Heads.)
Thanks, that's exactly the feedback I was looking for.

HootSki

Booting up
Skier
Well I can't compare to the E-race Pro but I love my Atomic X9 RS. The RS version has the race plate and I have mine set up with the X16 bindings. I prefer the X9's over my Stockli WRT ST and found that the WRT's didn't get much use last year because I enjoy the X9's quite a bit more.

Attachments

• IMG-2475.jpg
    IMG-2475.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG-2474.jpg
    IMG-2474.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG-2472.jpg
    IMG-2472.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG-2473.jpg
    IMG-2473.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 93

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well I can't compare to the E-race Pro but I love my Atomic X9 RS. The RS version has the race plate and I have mine set up with the X16 bindings. I prefer the X9's over my Stockli WRT ST and found that the WRT's didn't get much use last year because I enjoy the X9's quite a bit more.

FIVE pairs of FIS SL skis?

Impressive.Most impressive.

A hell of a quiver indeed.

Last edited:

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
In General, I find Atomic more lively with more rebound than Head. Head is damp, but I find lower energy from the ski. I haven't skied the 2 skis you are comparing, but did ski Head exclusively for a few years and returned to Atomic.

HootSki

Booting up
Skier
FIVE pairs of FIS SL skis?

Impressive.Most impressive.

A hell of a quiver indeed.
Thank you Tony! Yep quite a few....but I just got the Blizzard and Head FIS SL skis last spring so haven't had a chance to ski them yet. Love the the Rossi and Atomic FIS SL skis so they have a lot to live up too!

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thank you Tony! Yep quite a few..

Ah no no, it is not the number, it is fine, but out of 12 pairs in sight, not a single ski over 90 mm and this is someone who skis (I guess) in Utah…you sir must be some sort of rebel… :ogbiggrin:

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Ah no no, it is not the number, it is fine, but out of 12 pairs in sight, not a single ski over 90 mm and this is someone who skis (I guess) in Utah…you sir must be some sort of rebel… :ogbiggrin:

They're great for hot laps at Nordic Valley or Snowbasin if you stick to the groomers. And if you spend time at UOP a fleet of FIS SL skis is not bad to have at all (given the place is a purpose-built race training venue, well, there you go).

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Or how about the Ogasaka TC-MB? I'm tempted to get this ski as the short turn variant was pretty incredible last year. Wish Ogasaka made an 88 with a similar flex profile.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Or how about the Ogasaka TC-MB? I'm tempted to get this ski as the short turn variant was pretty incredible last year. Wish Ogasaka made an 88 with a similar flex profile.

Got it. Well, my son-in-law has it -- he was to deliver it to me at race camp but it was too warm to make snow and was cancelled. They have last season's model on sale (which is what I bought) at Fast Ski Sports...

Sponsor

Staff online