• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cage Match Comparison Head Wild Joy vs Renoun Z-90

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Awesome. Although I prefer unisex or men's skis I'm definitely not opposed to ladies skis. My Kenjas and Santa Anas are ladies skis so I do try to keep an open mind. I'd definitely give the Wild Joy and Great Joy a whirl if I came across them on a demo day. Kore 93 sounds pretty good too.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
Don't know about y'all but I find it so hard to keep the adjectives straight - Super Wild Pure Great Absolute - so much easier if less exuberant are numbers, Flair 81, Experience 98, etc. I mean, it's not the end of the world, but with the Head Joy line, I keep having to look up which one is which. Thanks to @SkiEssentials , here's another cheat sheet peak at the line.

Super Joy
  • Turn Radius: 12.5 meters at 163 cm
  • Sidecut: 128/75/108 mm at 163 cm
  • Ability Level: Advanced to Expert Skiers
Absolute Joy
  • Turn Radius: 13.5 meters at 163 cm
  • Sidecut: 129/79/109 mm
  • Ability Level: Intermediate Women Skiers
Wild Joy
  • Turn Radius: 14.4 meters at 168 cm
  • Sidecut: 139/90/119 mm
  • Ability Level: Advanced to Expert Women Skiers
Great Joy
  • Turn Radius: 14.3 meters at 168 cm
  • Sidecut: 141/98/124 mm
  • Ability Level: Advanced to Expert Women Skiers

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ah marketing.... Isn't it grand.

Wasn't there a wider joy than the great joy, gone now? is the total joy gone from the lineup?
The Big Joy, it was 108 underfoot, but it didn't sell as strongly as they thought it would, finding that most women going to that size would also consider the Kore 105.

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Big Joy, it was 108 underfoot, but it didn't sell as strongly as they thought it would, finding that most women going to that size would also consider the Kore 105.
I'm not totally surprised to see the big joy gone. I know I found it just a little too geared to one use, The epic powder day and even then, my Great Joy is all I've needed to date to manage the powder in my frame, size, ski style. When I have tried larger/widerr skis on the powder I actually felt I had too much float, couldn't sink the board down to porpoise back out, very surfy, making it harder to control. I have only tried mens boards in the bigger sizes though and they may be just too long or stiff.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm not totally surprised to see the big joy gone. I know I found it just a little too geared to one use, The epic powder day and even then, my Great Joy is all I've needed to date to manage the powder in my frame, size, ski style. When I have tried larger/widerr skis on the powder I actually felt I had too much float, couldn't sink the board down to porpoise back out, very surfy, making it harder to control. I have only tried mens boards in the bigger sizes though and they may be just too long or stiff.
I really liked the Big Joy at Snowbird in deep snow on steeps, reminded me a little of my Dakota love, but then the Dakota went away too.

People seem to be buying skis for the snow we get, instead of the snow we hope to get.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Buying things for the snow we get?????
All joking aside, that is one of the questions I often ask a customer when I'm helping out at a ski shop.

Are you looking for a ski to ski well in the conditions you really ski, or the conditions you want to ski?

Quite often, that question brings the customer to a reality check and they start to ponder skiing well instead of ....well, you know.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
To clarify my list up there ^, it wasn't the whole Head Joy line up.
No, but the Big Joy has been taken out of the lineup.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Define “playful”
Good point. Playful is brought up a lot in ski reviews, but the word can mean so many different things, here are a few I can think of.

• Good for big jumps(stable at high speed take off and landing)
  • Good for spinning (light, short, center mounted)
  • Poppy
  • Easy to butter (soft tips and tails)
  • Easy to smear and pivot
  • ‘Bouncy’ from turn to turn
  • Good for skiing switch (twin tips, center mount)

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think I need a ski around this width...
When we ski together, which I hope is soon, I will be happy to set you up to demo the Renoun. The Wild Joy was part of a test fleet we had for a few months, but was sent back to Head.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When we ski together, which I hope is soon, I will be happy to set you up to demo the Renoun. The Wild Joy was part of a test fleet we had for a few months, but was sent back to Head.
That would be wonderful. I am intrigued by the Renoun, and I'm gueessing the Wild Joys ski much like my Great Joys anyway.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That would be wonderful. I am intrigued by the Renoun, and I'm gueessing the Wild Joys ski much like my Great Joys anyway.
Like the Great Joys with sass. :)
But, yeah, I'd love to get you on the Renouns. Its what I do. :D

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Just came across this thread when I was looking for intel on the wild joy. I just came across a pair for sale and was offered a deal on them. The price is right so I think I'm going to get them. My new favorite width is 85-95 underfoot. I've fallen in love with my Renoun Z90s and think the Wild Joys now sound pretty awesome. My older Kenjas/Kendos are aging out so I've been on the quest to find comparable skis in this width range. I'll keep the WIld Joys/Z90s at Magic/Bromley.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January