• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cage Match Comparison Head Wild Joy vs Renoun Z-90

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wild Joy vs Z90 S.png
Some say 50 is the new 40; in the ski world, I'm beginning to think 90 is the new 88. As many of you know, I've been praising the Head Joy line for a few years. Head's lightweight Graphene technology was first used in the women's skis and is now being implemented in the men's lineup. The one area that Head was missing was that magical 88 part of the wall, jumping from the Total Joy at 84mm to the Great Joy at 98mm. But for 2018, Head has introduced the Wild Joy at 90mm underfoot, filling a sweet spot for women looking for a one-ski quiver to make beautiful turns on the groomers and still have the necessary punch when it's time to bust through crud and play around in moguls and trees.

Meanwhile, @Cyrus Schenck at Renoun is returning with the Z-90 built with Hyper Damping Technology, or HDT. This ski continues to amaze me in nearly every condition imaginable, except maybe the deepest powder days. The silky smooth feel gives back what you put into it.

The two trademarked technologies provide very different high-performance experiences. Head's Graphene gives the lightweight Wild Joy deceptive power and strength, whereas Renoun's HDT delivers a damp, smooth ride that makes it worth every penny.

Maybe 90 won't really take over for the ever-popular 88, but these two skis sure make me happy.
  • Why choose the Head Wild Joy? You want a great everyday ski that is lightweight and playful.
  • Why choose the Renoun Z-90? You are looking for a premium daily driver that delivers unmatched smoothness.
  • Other skis in the class: Kästle LX85, Stöckli Stormrider Motion 85, DPS Alchemist Uschi 85.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When I skied the Wild Joy, yes I did ski it, it is the one ski that reminded my most of the Z90...granted it wasn't as smooth at speed w/o the HDT, but is had a very similar turn shape..one of the attribute I really like of the Z90. So, if the Renoun is out of your price range...especially for the women, the Wild Joy really is a viable alternative with some compromise but at half the cost, a still a fantastic ski. With a less feminine graphic, I would suggest this ski to a lot of men. Not many skis can get compared to other skis that cost twice as much.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some say 50 is the new 40; in the ski world, I'm beginning to think 90 is the new 88. As many of you know, I've been praising the Head Joy line for a few years. Head's lightweight Graphene technology was first used in the women's skis and is now being implemented in the men's lineup. The one area that Head was missing was that magical 88 part of the wall, jumping from the Total Joy at 84mm to the Great Joy at 98mm. But for 2018, Head has introduced the Wild Joy at 90mm underfoot, filling a sweet spot for women looking for a one-ski quiver to make beautiful turns on the groomers and still have the necessary punch when it's time to bust through crud and play around in moguls and trees.

Meanwhile, @Cyrus Schenck at Renoun is returning with the Z-90 built with Hyper Damping Technology, or HDT. This ski continues to amaze me in nearly every condition imaginable, except maybe the deepest powder days. The silky smooth feel gives back what you put into it.

The two trademarked technologies provide very different high-performance experiences. Head's Graphene gives the lightweight Wild Joy deceptive power and strength, whereas Renoun's HDT delivers a damp, smooth ride that makes it worth every penny.

Maybe 90 won't really take over for the ever-popular 88, but these two skis sure make me happy.
  • Why choose the Head Wild Joy? You want a great everyday ski that is lightweight and playful.
  • Why choose the Renoun Z-90? You are looking for a premium daily driver that delivers unmatched smoothness.
  • Other skis in the class: Kästle LX85, Stöckli Stormrider Motion 85, DPS Alchemist Uschi 85.
I think I need a ski around this width...

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I've not been on a Joy ski I've liked yet, I sorta liked the Super Joy but hated how freakishly light it was. I'm more of a Head Supershape series kinda gal. However, if I came across the Wild Joy I'd give it a whirl. I've currently got my eye on a pair of Z90s at the end of this season.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The lightness of my Great Joys was disconcerting at first. My older skis were heavy. But I learned I could trust the Great Joys. What are Supershapes like?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I weigh a good bit so I especially don't like super light skis because it's very unnerving to me. With the super joy I felt like it held a good edge but I couldn't feel the ski, it was so light I felt like I had an epidural or something. I mean I was skiing and moving my legs but I couldn't feel anything attached to my feet. I really enjoy the Supershapes. I've been on the Rally and the Titan. I'm not a technical gal but can just generally say both are easy to turn and hold a great edge and just easy to ski. They just felt nicely solid under my feet. The Rally was suggested to me by someone who understands that not everyone enjoys a lightweight women's ski. As it was explained to me the Rally doesn't kick you back if you are having a lazy ski day but it does reward you and earn your trust if you drive it.

Last edited:

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
've currently got my eye on a pair of Z90s at the end of this season.
Cool! Have you skied them? How heavy/light are they? The thing about the Joys is that I don't get as tired skiing them in variable conditions because they're so light. And they really do seem to handle all sorts of snow (don't know about ice though). I skied them from January through the middle of May last season in Tahoe. With my older heavier skis, if I was in deeper snow I would get so tired.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Cool! Have you skied them? How heavy/light are they? The thing about the Joys is that I don't get as tired skiing them in variable conditions because they're so light. And they really do seem to handle all sorts of snow (don't know about ice though). I skied them from January through the middle of May last season in Tahoe. With my older heavier skis, if I was in deeper snow I would get so tired.

That's awesome your have a ski that works for you, can't put a price on that.

I've never been on the Z90 so I'm not sure how light or heavy they are.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, this would be a great cage match.
I skied the Wild Joy's on the same day I skied the Black Pearls (88s) and for whatever reason, I didn't even get off the bunny hill on the Wild Joys. I think I was just exhausted by the conditions by that time. I'd like to get out on them again this season in better conditions. That being said, the Black Pearls were like my best friends in the conditions. The Wild Joys just felt like they didn't want me to smear them at all, and I was tired and REALLY wanted to smear.(I mostly smear, anyway.) So, maybe the Wild Joys are for a skier with a bit more advanced skill set than I have? :huh:

I own the Super Joys and love them, FWIW. The other skis in the Joy series I've skied (the Total Joy) are all shaped similarly and I feel ski fairly similarly, or have a similar feel. Bought the Black Pearls a few weeks after that day of testing, as many of you know. So, if I can get out on some Wild Joys sometime this season, I'll definitely add some feedback.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've not been on a Joy ski I've liked yet, I sorta liked the Super Joy but hated how freakishly light it was. I'm more of a Head Supershape series kinda gal. However, if I came across the Wild Joy I'd give it a whirl. I've currently got my eye on a pair of Z90s at the end of this season.
This is all in your head (pun intended).
I know of several extremely strong female skiers, some of whom have an athletic build, who are loving the Joy skis they're on, ranging from Super Joy to Great Joy to Big Joy, one of whom is interested in demoing the Wild Joy.
These skis are extremely light weight, but they're not lightweights.
I mean, if @Lady_Salina and @coskigirl can ski the Great Joy as a daily driver, well.....its all in your *head*
#whatsyourlimit

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Hahaha. I still don't care for the lighter skis and I'm ok with that. I've heard similar things from others that don't care for them as well. Great skis I'm sure and I know they get lots of love but just not from me. I'll stay in my head :roflmao:I'll try the wild joy if I get the chance. Who knows maybe that'll be the ones to win me over lol

:beercheer:

Last edited:

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
SW_JLO_020916_209060739580_01_1.jpg
Well I did want a ski to replace my Johnny 94 which I had gotten as the ski shop said oh, don't get the ladies ski it won't be long enough for you back in 2010. So the head rep in 2014 said, try this Great Joy. I said NO WAY i hate ladies skis. He basically begged me to try them for three runs so I could give him my opinion. The Head Great Joy I am on is a 173 cm long 100 under foot and had been set up for a male tester. He then had them for demo skis but apparently the women who were looking to demo wanted a shorter ski. In the end I took it for 3 runs and loved it. It was solid, stiff torsional cut, holds up to my legs heading out to the side and seeking the propulsion back across the hill and propels my feet nicely back across from the edge set even on the 100 mm ski under foot. It was so light compared to my GS or carvers when I had to carry them up a slope, It doesn't fold when i extend at speed, even with my 140 to 150 lb build. It turns on a dime, i can cruise through trees and it does dynamic short radius turns effortlessly. (that surprised the sessioners at times when they look at wide ski and tell me we are going to session dynamic short radius). I am so glad the head rep made me take them that day and then sold me the tester ski the same day. I thought I had done them in two days ago after landing a little air and receiving a core shot but my tune shop was able to fix them. I was on line looking for the same ski new. I don't know what I'd do without my daily fun ski anymore. Steeps, deep, trees, bumps, I love the ski. I only switch to my narrower skis or slaloms when someone wants to learn race techniques, edging or it's just a pretty eastern icy day or I'm on a CSIA course. I have not tried the narrower skis in the line but one of our level 4 sessioners here at Whistler uses the Super joy for most things instructor. She was given the ski, thought she really wouldn't like it and the more she used it the more she realized it did everything she wanted nicely and it became her most used ski for sessions and demos. One day i'll have to try that too. She did say that one kind of snuck up and grew on her through use. Definitely a ski worth trying. Oh and @KingGrump used my skis one day and loved it too. He'll have to try the new Kore head they are making for men with the graphene and similar characteristics. Not everybody likes every ski but definitely one that should be tried and given a fair shake.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Lady_Salina Head's hashtag is #whatsyourlimit
So....What is your limit?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Definitely a ski worth trying. Oh and @KingGrump used my skis one day and loved it too. He'll have to try the new Kore head they are making for men with the graphene and similar characteristics. Not everybody likes every ski but definitely one that should be tried and given a fair shake.
I have a cage match for the Wild Joy against the Kore 93 coming up.
The Kore 93 is a little more playful, but both are great!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Define “playful”
The Wild Joy has a tiny bit of rocker in the tip, but not much, so it skis more like a fully cambered ski with a front side bias. The Kore has more rocker and inspires you to venture off piste.

Sponsor