• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Headaches after skiing

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Well I've had lots of experience with this as a figure skater (as much as I wish I didn't have to, the industry is a bit messed up). First of all, carbs don't cause weight gain. Excess calories do. If tracking your food would not adversely affect your mental health, I'd recommend it for a few weeks to gain some awareness about what you are eating, what is in what you are eating, and what you should be eating. Second, fuel your exercise the amount you need to with no regards to your weight goals, focus on performance. That means carbs + protein before, carbs during, and carbs and protein after. That's only three times of eating out of an entire day. You can make the cuts from your other meals. This doesn't mean skip meals. This means be more mindful about what you are eating then so that you can properly fuel your exercise. They should be balanced so that they satisfy you fiber, fat, and protein. As for what carbs, goldfish, fruit snacks, and teddy grahams are my go to. When I pack food, I kind of look like I'm packing food for a toddler. They're fast and convenient and they're a fast digesting carb which is the point. Bonus for the goldfish: they have lots of salt (electrolytes). However I could see that not appealing to most peoples nutritional goals. Fruit or dried fruit is great. If you want electrolytes at the same time, full sugar sports drinks can be great too. If there's too much sugar for what you're doing in them, dilute it. Or just don't finish it, but that can be kind of difficult to know when. Running forums (or other long distance sports) tend to have great advice on what carbs are good for workout fuel. TLDR: You only need the extra carbs to fuel your workout. All the other meals can be used for nutritional decisions that support weight loss.

As for weight training (I think you mentioned that): when I back squat, I move the bar a bit lower. Increases the need for a spotter a bit though, but that's because I suck at bailing safely. I still get a headache but its dramatically improved. Or I just front squat. That can be difficult if you have poor shoulder mobility, but it's a move that requires very little weight to have really great strength gains. Keep those elbows up. It does hit the hamstrings a lot less, so be mindful of that.

And the usual disclaimer: I'm not a dietician or personal trainer (working on that certification though). Just a figure skater who spend so long feeling lost just like you are so I did so much research and talked to so many professionals to figure it out myself.
Thank you - this is very helpful. Are your portion sizes for the snacks during a workout about a handful? And when you say fruit snacks, do you mean real fruit or sugary fruit snacks a toddler would have? :)

If my workout is actually a 4 hour lift served ski day, would constant snacking on this kind of stuff while drinking water with electrolytes be the right thing to do?

One thing I find with my headaches: they’re often the day after a day of skiing, hiking or biking. I’ve often wondered why that is the case, even thought I drink plenty of water and eat what I would consider to be healthy. Maybe it’s a structural issue with my posture or body being tired, or tension in my neck that triggers a headache?

Actually, for weight workouts, I was wondering if you had a recommendation for a simple beginner-like lifting program with dumbbells that would help me build back my base and hopefully set me in the right direction.

nightingale

Putting on skis
Skier
Thank you - this is very helpful. Are your portion sizes for the snacks during a workout about a handful? And when you say fruit snacks, do you mean real fruit or sugary fruit snacks a toddler would have? :)
Yeah about a handful. The sugary ones, but real fruit would work just as well as long as it's a denser one. Something like watermelon would not be a good idea as its mostly water.

If my workout is actually a 4 hour lift served ski day, would constant snacking on this kind of stuff while drinking water with electrolytes be the right thing to do?
I'm not sure what you ski and how hard you're actually working so it's hard to answer this. For less intensity, you can eat less often. Higher intensity (such as sprints) you might want to be eating every 45 maybe 30 minutes whereas a light walk you could probably last 120. And yes, lots of water with electrolytes. I know it can be hard to carry water and I'm sure this forum has many solutions for that. I haven't dug deep enough. I just carry a small water bottle in my pocket and take lots of breaks and make sure to drink lots of water after. I'm sure there's a better way.

One thing I find with my headaches: they’re often the day after a day of skiing, hiking or biking. I’ve often wondered why that is the case, even thought I drink plenty of water and eat what I would consider to be healthy. Maybe it’s a structural issue with my posture or body being tired, or tension in my neck that triggers a headache?
It could be. Also are you an anxious person? If you carry anxiety tension in your shoulders or neck that's the perfect equation for a headache. If this is the case, redirect that tension to your core.

As for lifting, to be honest, I am not the person to ask about that. Beginner programs are really not my strong suit as I work mostly with other athletes.

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yeah about a handful. The sugary ones, but real fruit would work just as well as long as it's a denser one. Something like watermelon would not be a good idea as its mostly water.

I'm not sure what you ski and how hard you're actually working so it's hard to answer this. For less intensity, you can eat less often. Higher intensity (such as sprints) you might want to be eating every 45 maybe 30 minutes whereas a light walk you could probably last 120. And yes, lots of water with electrolytes. I know it can be hard to carry water and I'm sure this forum has many solutions for that. I haven't dug deep enough. I just carry a small water bottle in my pocket and take lots of breaks and make sure to drink lots of water after. I'm sure there's a better way.

It could be. Also are you an anxious person? If you carry anxiety tension in your shoulders or neck that's the perfect equation for a headache. If this is the case, redirect that tension to your core.

As for lifting, to be honest, I am not the person to ask about that. Beginner programs are really not my strong suit as I work mostly with other athletes.
For water, I typically use a camelpak during skiing, biking or hiking. So I’ll be sure to fill the bladder up with water and electrolytes and wash it out each time.

Yeah, I think I do can anxiety tension in my shoulders and neck so I will work at massaging them or using heat.

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Saw my doc today. He mentioned a Botox shot might help with chronic neck tension. Seems freaky to me - have any of you gotten this?!

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Do you have a nightguard? Does your dentist think you are grinding your teeth? This can cause neck tension and headaches. You may be grinding your teeth during intense exercise or other stress (driving I-70).

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Do you have a nightguard? Does your dentist think you are grinding your teeth? This can cause neck tension and headaches. You may be grinding your teeth during intense exercise or other stress (driving I-70).
I definitely could be grinding my teeth on I70
I hadn’t thought of that happening overnight and my dentist hasn’t mentioned it.

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Well, my adventure goes on: trying to figure out these headaches. My neurologist has me trying different migraine meds and the only one that somewhat helps is Ubrelvy. Also, I’ve been seeing a hematologist because my hemoglobin and hemocrit are in the “high” range, meaning I have too many red blood cells, my blood is thicker, and they aren’t delivering oxygen efficiently. He thinks that’s what is causing my headaches. In order to bring the numbers down into the normal range and thin my blood, I have been getting blood drawn every few weeks. We’ll see if that helps.
I’ve been skiing once a week all season but have been mainly dialing back the intensity.
I’ve unfortunately gained 10 lbs this winter and was already overweight. I’m trying to tighten up my diet but it’ll take some time to see if I can lose 10-20 in the coming months.

One thing that’s got me down is how tired my legs have been feeling skiing recently. Today I hit ABasin, which got 8” new of fairly good but somewhat heavy powder. Normally it would not a big deal for me to be able to ski all day. However, I was spent by lunch. I’m assuming that’s because of the extra weight I’m carrying, that my legs have to deal with while skiing?

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Due to them finding I am in a-fib, I was put on Metoprolol about the same date I started Aimorig. Not sure which is more responsible, but the combo means my migraines are less than half of what they used to be, not just count-wise, but also duration. Unfortunately the a-fib means I tire easily. My first cardioversion (electric shock) didn't do anything. They will try again in a week. I'm also on blood thinners, but the exhaustion started well before that. They say I've been in a-fib a long time. I am surprised it was not caught sooner. I also have sleep apnea, which they say causes a-fib and also exhaustion.

I don't know if you've been seeing a cardiologist, but the heart thing led to a huge improvement in my migraines. (I know it's not just the Aimovig as when they briefly took me off Metoprolol I was getting migraines again within 3 days.)

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m assuming that’s because of the extra weight I’m carrying, that my legs have to deal with while skiing?
If your muscles aren't getting the oxygen they need they'll tell you. Extra weight doesn't help (I know from first hand experience) but oxygen is important. My friend just got a new valve put in his ticker to take over from a poorly performing one. Went from couldn't walk one end of the house to the other to two miles two days after the surgery.

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Due to them finding I am in a-fib, I was put on Metoprolol about the same date I started Aimorig. Not sure which is more responsible, but the combo means my migraines are less than half of what they used to be, not just count-wise, but also duration. Unfortunately the a-fib means I tire easily. My first cardioversion (electric shock) didn't do anything. They will try again in a week. I'm also on blood thinners, but the exhaustion started well before that. They say I've been in a-fib a long time. I am surprised it was not caught sooner. I also have sleep apnea, which they say causes a-fib and also exhaustion.

I don't know if you've been seeing a cardiologist, but the heart thing led to a huge improvement in my migraines. (I know it's not just the Aimovig as when they briefly took me off Metoprolol I was getting migraines again within 3 days.)
Can you clarify what being in a-fib means? I have seen a cardiologist who found I have a PFO from birth, but he didn’t recommend I get it closed at that time, since it isn’t larger enough to automatically be treated that way.

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
If your muscles aren't getting the oxygen they need they'll tell you. Extra weight doesn't help (I know from first hand experience) but oxygen is important. My friend just got a new valve put in his ticker to take over from a poorly performing one. Went from couldn't walk one end of the house to the other to two miles two days after the surgery.
Interesting. A year ago, my cardiologist found I have a small-medium PFO (hole) in my heart that didn’t close at birth (I guess 25% of people have this condition and most don’t know it). It does effect my oxygen distribution and performance though. At the time, he recommended I don’t have it closed via a fairly routine catheter procedure, but to go on aspirin for protection from stroke. He didn’t think my headaches are a result of that. However, I recently decided to see another cardiologist next month to get a second opinion. Seems like that could be an answer to my fatigue, the other being the extra weight (going from 230-260 over the past year and a half).

I’m 47 and have lived in Denver for 17 years. I’ve skied,biked and hiked at high altitudes that whole time with no issues before a year and a half ago, so that’s what’s weird to me. But I’ve been fully checked out and no issues present themselves, other than that.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor

Glad to hear you are getting treatment that is doing some good.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting. A year ago, my cardiologist found I have a small-medium PFO (hole) in my heart that didn’t close at birth (I guess 25% of people have this condition and most don’t know it). It does effect my oxygen distribution and performance though. At the time, he recommended I don’t have it closed via a fairly routine catheter procedure, but to go on aspirin for protection from stroke. He didn’t think my headaches are a result of that. However, I recently decided to see another cardiologist next month to get a second opinion. Seems like that could be an answer to my fatigue, the other being the extra weight (going from 230-260 over the past year and a half).

I’m 47 and have lived in Denver for 17 years. I’ve skied,biked and hiked at high altitudes that whole time with no issues before a year and a half ago, so that’s what’s weird to me. But I’ve been fully checked out and no issues present themselves, other than that.
I don't know how far the docs will go but if they're looking at you via MRI you may ask about making sure the valves are working. My buddy had/has a genetic thing with his. One valve is supposed to be round with three flappers (that's my tech term!) but his is oval with two flappers. Lots of blood going past at the wrong time. This has been apparently happening his whole life (he'll be 58 this summer) but was exacerbated by a total knee surgery that threw a clot and resulted in a PE. They got that fixed but the added pressure must have really fired up the valve to the point where he couldn't even lie down without shortness of breath, he couldn't eat, sleep, or get around hardly at all. This is, of course, an extreme example but when it's your heart and you know you already have a PFO it might be worth a look.

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
I don't know how far the docs will go but if they're looking at you via MRI you may ask about making sure the valves are working. My buddy had/has a genetic thing with his. One valve is supposed to be round with three flappers (that's my tech term!) but his is oval with two flappers. Lots of blood going past at the wrong time. This has been apparently happening his whole life (he'll be 58 this summer) but was exacerbated by a total knee surgery that threw a clot and resulted in a PE. They got that fixed but the added pressure must have really fired up the valve to the point where he couldn't even lie down without shortness of breath, he couldn't eat, sleep, or get around hardly at all. This is, of course, an extreme example but when it's your heart and you know you already have a PFO it might be worth a look.
Wow scary. Glad it sounds like he’s doing better? Did he have a catheter surgery for his heart?
What’s a PE?

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow scary. Glad it sounds like he’s doing better? Did he have a catheter surgery for his heart?
What’s a PE?
Yes, all catheter. Up the femoral, expand the faulty valve with a balloon, run the new one up, deflate balloon, remove. I'm sure it's a little more intensive than that but that's the short version.

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
My cardiologist has gone in (down my throat) with a camera to get a good look at the PFO and determined that it was small enough to recommend that I not close it. That was a year ago, and I’m still dealing with these headaches, so that’s why I’m going to another cardiologist for a second opinion.

Has anyone here dealt with having higher hemoglobin/hemocrit? Thicker blood?
My hematologist thinks that’s what is causing my headaches and getting out of breathe easily when exercising.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So I should add that I get these exertion headaches at my home altitude of Denver as well. For instance, if I do an hour long road bike, the same thing will happen.
My cardiologist has gone in (down my throat) with a camera to get a good look at the PFO and determined that it was small enough to recommend that I not close it. That was a year ago, and I’m still dealing with these headaches, so that’s why I’m going to another cardiologist for a second opinion.
Just noticed these posts.

Did you do a nuclear stress test in addition to the trans-esophageal echo?

If at all possible, consider getting your second opinion from my sports cardiologist, Dr. Cornwell, at CU:

He's a great doc and a great guy. He knows this stuff, as he's the primary author of the American Heart Association guidelines for exercise at altitude for individuals with cardiovascular disease:

Last edited:

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
How tall are you, @palikona? At 260 pounds, unless you are more than 6’5” you would be considered clinically obese. That puts a huge stress on your body from cardiac issues to work of breathing, etc. The solution to your problems may be weight loss, not supplemental O2 or closure of your PFO.

Sponsor

Staff online