• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Headaches after skiing

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
How tall are you, @palikona? At 260 pounds, unless you are more than 6’5” you would be considered clinically obese. That puts a huge stress on your body from cardiac issues to work of breathing, etc. The solution to your problems may be weight loss, not supplemental O2 or closure of your PFO.
I’m 6’-4.5” but yeah, I’ve been focusing more on weight loss of late, with very minimal results so far. Don’t drink much, have cut bread out on most days, watching my caloric intake, etc.
Agree that losing like 30 or 40 lbs would help a ton and that’s my current goal but at 47, everything I used to do to lose weight easily isn’t working :(

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just noticed these posts.

Did you do a nuclear stress test in addition to the trans-esophageal echo?

If at all possible, consider getting your second opinion from my sports cardiologist, Dr. Cornwell, at CU:

He's a great doc and a great guy. He knows this stuff, as he's the primary author of the American Heart Association guidelines for exercise at altitude for individuals with cardiovascular disease:
No, what’s a nuclear stress test?
Damn, thank you for this link. I will definitely reach out to him.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’m 6’-4.5” but yeah, I’ve been focusing more on weight loss of late, with very minimal results so far. Don’t drink much, have cut bread out on most days, watching my caloric intake, etc.
Agree that losing like 30 or 40 lbs would help a ton and that’s my current goal but at 47, everything I used to do to lose weight easily isn’t working :(

My mom was in need of a knee replacement but her ortho wouldn't do it until she lost some weight. She joined Weight Watchers (now known simply as WW) and lost nearly 80 lbs. She had her knee replacement and is feeling much better.

It inspired me to joing WW to lose the 15 extra lbs I wanted to shed a few years ago. I really enjoy the guidance of the WW app and the encouragement to be more active.
We have a thread here.

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
My mom was in need of a knee replacement but her ortho wouldn't do it until she lost some weight. She joined Weight Watchers (now known simply as WW) and lost nearly 80 lbs. She had her knee replacement and is feeling much better.

It inspired me to joing WW to lose the 15 extra lbs I wanted to shed a few years ago. I really enjoy the guidance of the WW app and the encouragement to be more active.
We have a thread here.
Thank you!

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No, what’s a nuclear stress test?
An exercise stress test will tell you how well your heart is working at exertion. The result is the METS cardiac output number that shows how well your cardiovascular system works for your age:

Estimated-functional-capacity-METs.png

That number is also a good predictor of how long you will live!

You walk/run on a treadmill, and they increase the speed and incline until you can't go anymore. You are hooked up to ECG and pulse ox the whole time, and they check your BP every couple of minutes.

Your doc may also want nuclear imaging of your heart as part of the exercise stress test.

I think it makes sense for most middle-aged and older skiers to have at least one cardiac check-up given the risk of exertion at altitude and the prevalence of cardiovascular disease.

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
^^^thanks so much for all that info. I’m not sure why my doc or current cardiologist wouldn’t have suggested that?!

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Well, this is an interesting development. I’ve gone fly fishing twice in Deckers, CO recently and have developed the same kind of headaches afterwards (the next day). Deckers is only at 6,300’. Now wondering if that’s a sign this is structural and maybe physical therapy would help. Standing around all day fishing, and 1.5 hours in the car each way….I’m wondering if my bad posture is causing this.

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Since posting in July, I’ve seen another cardiologist and had another visit to my neurologist.
The cardiologist didn’t think closing my small to medium sized PFO would help my exercise related headaches. He did not do a nuclear test and determined my heart is healthy. My neurologist has me on another type of migraine medicine (Quilipta) but I haven’t started the daily pill yet.
I continue to get monthly blood draws that keep my hemoglobin and hematocrit at normal values. Unfortunately, I still get headaches the day after I do a hike or bike longer than 30 mins.
I tried to get in touch with Dr Hackett (mentioned here) and had no luck. I also tried to make an appointment with the altitude clinic at UC Anschutz but they don’t return my calls.
I’m feeling a bit lost as to what to do, because there has to be something that I can do to help this condition.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Qulipta is the same class of CGRP medication as I'm now taking -- Ajovy, a once monthly injection, which has been life-changing. It took seven weeks to start working but in the 100 days since it started to work, I've only had 9 migraines, compared to 37 the same date range in 2021. I had zero in August, 3 this month. I'm able to drink again! (Altho I haven't attempted red wine yet.) So get going with your Qulipta.

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Qulipta is the same class of CGRP medication as I'm now taking -- Ajovy, a once monthly injection, which has been life-changing. It took seven weeks to start working but in the 100 days since it started to work, I've only had 9 migraines, compared to 37 the same date range in 2021. I had zero in August, 3 this month. I'm able to drink again! (Altho I haven't attempted red wine yet.) So get going with your Qulipta.
That’s great to hear! I’m so happy to here that’s working for you! Any side effects on Ajovy?

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
That’s great to hear! I’m so happy to here that’s working for you! Any side effects on Ajovy?
For me: Large welts that get larger but flatter over time. On my left leg they seem to last 3-4 WEEKS. On my right leg (Why?) they last about a week. Unattractive, but not itchy. Possibly some constipation, but I take a daily stool softener and fiber pill since when I was on Aimovig (and @crgildart warned me), so it hasn't been a problem.

Some others report hair thinning (I'm unsure if it's affecting me) and joint pain (not affecting me).

Sponsor

Staff online